advertisement

been looking at record cleaning machines..

By 'superpositive' ions I simply mean ions which have the same polarity of charge as the balance of charge on the record's surface. I think it's fair to say that 'superpositive' means 'placed on top of', which I think is a fair description. My recollection is that the term is normally used to describe the superimposition of two waves. I'm sorry if I used the wrong term. I can't remember what the correct term would be for adding further charge, of one sign or another, to an already charged surface.

The effect of triboelectrics in charging the record surface has little to do with the means by which the Zerostat neutralises the charge, so I'm not sure why it keeps being raised as a measure of my ignorance.

I bought a Moth Pro for around £500 6 years ago (ish). I've cleaned around 2K records so far and still buy a fair bit second hand (you never know how well something has been looked after). It's without a doubt one of the best purchases I made in terms of improving the listening experience. Yes, it's noisy. Yes, it's essentially a vacuum in a box - but it just works and it's easy to use.

VPI HW 16.5 for me. Bought used from some dude in NYC for $400. Sits on my record shelves. Most every record gets cleaned, unless it has been recently done.

Worth every penny.

I bought a Pro-Ject VC-E a couple of years ago (maybe 18 moths?) for £270 (Peter Tyson) and don't know why I waited so long to buy it. The single best 'upgrade' I've ever had. No more static, clicks, pops nor gunk/fluff on the stylus (when hand washing I always ended up 'crudding' the stylus, no matter how well I rinsed.) - It takes 2nd hand VG+/Ex records up to NM in many cases and new records sound silent (apart from the music :p) after a run through on the project. It's a no-brainer.

I had VPI 16.5 for some years, they do what they are designed for. Value for money in my opinion, especially if bought used. I find it loud and motor gets hot after 2-3 LPs of cleaning. Bought a Nessie after the VPI died on me. Much quieter, motor isn’t hot even after 6-8 consecutive of LPs cleaning. Love it!

I have a pro-ject vacuum machine and it is good and convenient. I am not however convinced that I get better results than I did with my Knosti spin washer but a vacuum machine is way more convenient, as you can clean quickly if you put on a disc and decide it needs a clean.
I have been wondering if I would benefit from also having the ultrasonic option of the Velvet Vortex particularly for batch jobs. I am also thinking ultrasonic may clean to a better standard. I can't see it will substitute for the vacuum cleaner though.
Agree with others that an RCM is a wise investment, it's cheaper than most components and more effective on SQ.

advertisement

Back