advertisement

been looking at record cleaning machines..

bottleneck

pfm Member
its a vacuum cleaner in a box.

I turned my attention to 'made in china sites' - as so much is made there today.

See this -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38411585...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

and this ...
https://hi-fi.org.uk/consonance-vinyl-cleaning-machine-rcm-mk2-compact-ex-dem/

are clearly simply just this...
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...0.7724857.normal_offer.d_image.1462371eiAatVm

It rather makes a mockery of spending three times as much for exactly the same thing.

I'm sure it is a bit more with any taxation and post.
Still rock bottom prices when bought on alibaba. you need to buy 10 though, and that's the rub.

Other than getting 10 PFM's together, wondered if anyone else has spotted great value machines.

NB In case its useful for someone, here's another. perhaps a shout if you already have a wet/dry vac in the house.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/525028356/vinylbug-the-vacuum-powered-vinyl-record

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I can’t really comment on any of the above, I bought the latest Okki Nokki a couple of months back though, and that works a treat (which it should at £500), it’s solidly made, easy to operate and does the job brilliantly.

If you’re in the West Midlands, you’re welcome to pop along with a few records and give it a go!

so with these machines (I too have been looking)

Do people leave these set up on a shelf permanently? (spare room etc)
Or do folks just get them out on a rainy afternoon (plenty of those about) and do a big batch?

Cheers

Mine lurks in the house where I can get to it after a shopping trip. Saturday was spent getting the static off the new st Vincent and Gary numan albums. Another happy pro-ject user ...

Mine has it's own place in the office/spare room upstairs & I clean records as I get them, having now cleaned the entire collection. It's not the most efficient way to do it though tbh, cleaning in batches of 10 works best.

so with these machines (I too have been looking)

Do people leave these set up on a shelf permanently? (spare room etc)
Or do folks just get them out on a rainy afternoon (plenty of those about) and do a big batch?

Cheers

I leave mine set up sat on top of an ikea unit with vinyl in it. It's tiny really, if I had to pack it away every time I'd never use it!

Another Project user here. Mine is left set up in the garage. I like to do batches of 10 + for convenience.

I have looked at the consonance one and it looks good as well - I have several Consonance components and they are well made (but I bought my Project record cleaner before Consonance was marketing theirs).

I upgraded from a Moth to a vintage Keith Monks MkII Classic few years ago. The KM is so easy to use, it sits near my turntable and every record is cleaned before it’s played - just like it was designed to do for the BBC and other broadcasters.

I use one of the cheaper and smaller Project ones, which is tucked under my desk in my study. It's used as necessary, on all the records that I buy (almost all of which are used classical records from the 60s - 70s) - it's become a particularly regular fixture during dull and appropriately non-participatory online meetings, when the camera (and the mic of course) goes off, the records come out, and another batch get cleaned...

Anyone who can clean more than 4-5 LPs in one go is made very differently to me - Moth machine here, and I can't beleive that it is any more tedious than any other. Mine stays on top of a chest in the spare bedroom.
The only new records that I have cleaned have had faults that didn't get fixed by cleaning. Wet cleaning new records will get rid of the static, until they charge up again, but so does a carbon brush - far quicker, infinitely less tedious.

I'm the same Vinny, about a half dozen at a time, everything gets cleaned before I play it. It would drive you crazy to try to do any more than that.

Picked up a Project vc-s2 from Tyson's a couple of months ago (they often have great deals on e-bay), Great machine and wish I had bought one earlier, One of the advantages of this machine is that it supports the vinyl in the middle only and does not have a full size platter which would contaminate the reverse side when you turn it over to clean.
Since owning one I now only have to clean my stylus every 40 -50 plays whereas my ultrasonic would require every 2-3 plays only before I had to clear the gunk off the stylus, needless to say I moved that on promptly.
I also use a small hand held steam cleaner and paint pad pro to remove the heavy stuff and fingerprints etc before it gets cleaned on the machine, and that helps enormously.
I would also recommend cleaning of new records before being played.

Apologies if I annoy the RCM fans for offering this opinion, but I believe a quieter, cheaper, more thorough, more time-saving and space-saving way to clean your records is available with the simple purchase of a bottle of PVA wood glue for about five quid.

RCMs may not be the right thing for everyone, so here is a video of a simple technique for cleaning a record with PVA. A Zerostat helps, as elsewhere.

http://www.supasound.com/pva.mp4

Same. Best purchase I’ve made in last few years (from these very classifieds). Absolutely astonishing how it cleaned up my old vinyl. In a previous life I was a DJ and some of my old soul/disco records were in a sad state - but now they mostly play really nicely.

I keep it in a shoe box behind stereo and tend to clean all ‘new to me’ used vinyl as it comes in and then older records as and when they need it.

Apologies if I annoy the RCM fans for offering this opinion, but I believe a quieter, cheaper, more thorough, more time-saving and space-saving way to clean your records is available with the simple purchase of a bottle of PVA wood glue for about five quid.

Time saving? If you own more than about five records wood glue would be a total non-starter time-wise. Doing one record for a YouTube video is fine, doing a typical 2-3k+ collection is just a non-starter IMHO.

I’m happy to race you on a pile of say 20 LPs; you use wood glue, I’ll use my VPI 17i!

PS I don’t know what exactly wood glue is made from, but I’d expect it to be quite environmentally destructive to be sticking huge amounts of it into trash. My waste byproduct is just a slightly dirty 3/1 water and isopropyl alcohol mix, and very little at that as it largely evaporates.

advertisement

Back