advertisement

Small speakers that sound like big ones

Try a more powerful amplifier. I'm running a pair of JPW Minims in a room of similar size to yours. To date, the only amplifier I've had to bring them properly to life is a mildly serviced 65W into 8 ohm Yamaha that puts 80W into the 6 ohm impedance of the speakers. It's also proven to me that with appropriate amplification these cheap little speakers are NOT to be underestimated! Driven by the Yamaha they sound really really nice and bigger than they have any right to be, and work to surprisingly high levels with no waver in composure. I should imagine you'd get similar results with your Ruarks.

Haven’t said anything about more Bass mr pig. Just want more full range sound!
Ever heard ProAc, dunno what your budget is? I was really happy with the Vena 1 and Studio 115 speakers, I did add my usual REL sub but there were occasions I had them playing without it. A sub isn’t just about adding thump, there is an opening up of the soundstage and airiness around things when integrated properly.

Ever heard ProAc, dunno what your budget is? I was really happy with the Vena 1 and Studio 115 speakers, I did add my usual REL sub but there were occasions I had them playing without it. A sub isn’t just about adding thump, there is an opening up of the soundstage and airiness around things when integrated properly.

which rel sub have you got?

Try a more powerful amplifier. I'm running a pair of JPW Minims in a room of similar size to yours. To date, the only amplifier I've had to bring them properly to life is a mildly serviced 65W into 8 ohm Yamaha that puts 80W into the 6 ohm impedance of the speakers. It's also proven to me that with appropriate amplification these cheap little speakers are NOT to be underestimated! Driven by the Yamaha they sound really really nice and bigger than they have any right to be, and work to surprisingly high levels with no waver in composure. I should imagine you'd get similar results with your Ruarks.
Hijacking the thread because I am curious about this comment. I finally have a Rotel amp on the way. One reason I bought was because Rotels are considered to have a lot of power, ie the wattage goes up considerably from 8Ohm to 4Ohm, maybe even doubles. So it should drive my low-sensitivity Wharfedale Diamond 220s much better than the modest midi amp I'm using. In theory.

I've also been thinking about a speaker upgrade, and saw these Minims are going cheap, well the only one I could find anyway. There is no information about them anywhere doing a quick google. But.. they look identical to JPW Mini Monitors and have the same specs. And the Mini Monitors are going for peanuts. So if someone confirms that they are the same speaker, they could be a bargain?

No small speaker can really sound like a good big one. Kef LS50s came closest of the ones I've owned.

Agreed and I echo your view on the LS50.

Depends on what is being sought.

If you want a speaker to paint a wide and deep soundstage with pinpoint imaging, the LS50 is among the best I've ever heard.
But it won't do gravitas and coherent, powerful presence in the room like for example a large classic Tannoy, Magnepan, large active ATC/PMC monitor.

Subs help somewhat and don't need to be obtrusive, but they aren't the complete solution as I suspect it's also the effortless ability to move air in the main/upper bass region which impacts scale more than what's happening <40Hz. Plenty of good micro subs around these days though.

Reactions: irb
which rel sub have you got?
I have a T7 in there at present, had quite a few different ones over many years have a fondness for REL. Wife's system has T5i in a double stack. REL are releasing new x models so the old i models will be on close out sale. The Zero is easy to hide but didn’t impress like the T5i which isn’t that much bigger. If you have plenty of dosh the new Kef LS50Meta and matching Sub would be worth an audition, pondering a demo myself.

Dynaudio Contour 1.3mk2 or Focus 140

Usher Be-718 ‘Tiny Dancer’

(my fave mid sized stand mounts - great bass, resolution and refinement)

Neat Iotas, when demo'd to me, were disappointingly deficient in scale. Duevel Planets have a similar footprint and ample scale.

advertisement

Back