advertisement

What makes a great amplifier?

I’ve learned that it can take me some time to find out what the amp is like: an amp can sound pretty good at first and then after a few days I suddenly realise that the sound just isn’t realistic at all, that all the partials which go to make the sound of an instrument or a voice just aren’t being caught.

Totally agree with this but not only with amps. The very first time I went to a dealer, after asking what I was looking for and approximately at what price, he said, and it was loudspeakers, I've got three I will offer my advice is to buy the one you don't like. 1. If you take the ont that looks to be the best value, or 2. You take the one that impresses you you'll soon grow tired of it, take 3. It doesn't immediately impress but you'll start to hear what it'll do and it'll last you longer and give more pleasure in the long run. Did I listen, did I fff, the ones I bought lasted me 3 months, the ones I turned down were LS3/5a s.

My advice, don't buy on impulse, it's the expensive way to go.

The old 'short piece of wire with gain' and as long as it has enough power so it doesn't clip everything is fine?

No, I'm not in the 'all amps sound the same and CD is perfect' campaign, but how much difference is a good one from a really good one in overall sound? One percent?

IME the difference can be quite significant.

As it was already said, one should not evaluate amps alone but the result of an amp driving a specific pair of speakers (in your own room whenever possible).

Your conclusions also depend on how you listen to music and what you value most.

I love Colin's post as it clearly shows, IMO, that it's quite difficult to build a great amp.

Everyone wants something different from their amps, I want invariant load driving ability and distortion well below accepted audible limits, I couldn't care less about how its achieved, parts, topology etc.

If it is properly designed & matched to the driver then this is irrelevant. They pretty much all are, probably harder to find one that isn’t.

So are you saying that as long as an amplifier is capable of driving the speakers to their maximum SPL without audible distortion, then they all sound the same?

According to Peter Walker (Quad) "the perfect amplifier is a straight wire with gain"

That means as little distortion as possible added to the signal.

So are you saying that as long as an amplifier is capable of driving the speakers to their maximum SPL without audible distortion, then they all sound the same?
To interject my comment, "capable" may mean different things to different people. If it means that two different but capable amplifiers driving the same loudspeaker produce exactly the same voltage vs time curve then I would like to understand why the sound might differ. Of course achieving that definition of "capable" may not be easy. Is that what "capable" means?

My thoughts are that speakers and room are far more important, unless the amplifier is a really bad design (and, yes, I've owned one of those). But as with everything audio, it's largely a matter of personal taste. I (briefly) owned a highly regarded, well-reviewed, British integrated amp. To me, it sounded awful, but that doesn't mean that it would have sounded awful in a different room, with different speakers, and a different pair of ears.

Tony nailed it - you need synergy with the speakers. Look feel and build quality are also what makes an amp a pleasure to use.

IME of designing and buiding amps good sound does not neccessarily follow from good measurements. Although amps with poor measurements usually have audible flaws, even if they can sound "interesting" for a while.
Contrary to logic, irrespective of the PSRR of the circuit I find that the mains transformer is one of the most important components with respect to sound quality.
Good industrial qualilty parts usually provide the best sound. Boutique components generally add "interesting" flavours.

I'd start by accepting that it's about creating an illusion in your specific environment (and maximum enjoyment), not 'perfect' reproduction. Peter Walker's famous definition can lead you down the measurement rabbit hole to endless upgrades, and (worse) to hearing the equipment rather than the music. Listen, at home, to as wide a variety as possible, and trust your ears.

An amplifier that drives your speakers well (ideally most other speakers too), with no obvious flavour or flaws, that you like the sound of, and most of all, is reliable.
Ideally one that isn't a flavour of the month and the manufacturer replaces every year for marketing reasons. Also, from a manufacturer who will support their products forever.

Last edited:
I'd start by accepting that it's about creating an illusion in your specific environment (and maximum enjoyment), not 'perfect' reproduction. Peter Walker's famous definition can lead you down the measurement rabbit hole to endless upgrades, and (worse) to hearing the equipment rather than the music. Listen, at home, to as wide a variety as possible, and trust your ears.

This is a more sensible explanation of what I was trying to say. There is a movement in hifi circles that seems to chase a sound that is as 'neutral' and little coloured by the equipment as possible, calling this something like 'accuracy to the artist's original intentions' or some such similar fanciful ideal. I've had some 'neutral' equipment, didn't enjoy it as much as my 'less accurate' stuff.

Just pick a colour you like, enjoy the music

advertisement

Back