advertisement

Which would provide the more engaging listening experience in your view?

Which would provide the more engaging listening experience in your view?

• EL34 based 12W amp into sensitive small stand mounts

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Rega or Naim integrated into Proac SM100s or similar

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
The speaker end:

HiFi 2

The current listening seat:

Hifi 1

Room size is approx: 9m x 3.5m x 5m(ish) max for the ceiling.

*Plan is to put a sofa or chair on the right as you look at the system. Hence the need to have drivers up high. The home office thing is hopefully temporary, but who knows!

Another reason to change is that this is the only place in the house these JBL speakers can go. With a smaller setup it will be easier to accommodate in other rooms.

I'm not familiar with those speakers but you have a generously proportioned room and your listening seat is well away from the rear wall so I wouldn't instinctively expect overblown bass. The room is however fairly narrow so that may be a cause?

I'm glad to see a rug has been laid in front of the speakers. Have you tried orientating it so that it spans the width of the speakers? This might reduce floor bounce and improve focus. Given the speakers' proximity to the side walls it might also be beneficial to treat those first reflection points, preferably equally on both sides, for crisp and stable imaging.

Also, you could try moving your seat forward/backwards a foot or two to see if there's a better sweet spot, - you could just be in an unlucky spot at the moment where things sound indistinct and lifeless?

If none of that makes an improvement then a change of kit is probably on the cards...

Interesting shaped speakers, I wonder what would happen if you swapped them over L-R and R-L.
Might be worth a try.

Thanks a mill for that.

I haven't changed the orientation of the rug, but I have played about with speaker and listening position quite a bit. The room is off the kitchen (quite large) and the bass does seem to collect in there. Not hard to get the crockery rattling!

The room is quite narrow and I have tried to close the curtains (patio door and normal window) next to the speakers. This did help a little. Not sure what more can be done though. The room I heard these speakers in was much wider and this allowed them to breath more and image much better. Moving them away from the back wall more did help, but only in a limited way. I like a good image too, this could help to hold my interest too I think. So another reason why I was considering smaller speakers.

The new system would have me sitting quite a bit closer, but still over 2 metres away I expect.

I noticed the chair is not at the centre of the room but closer to one side of the wall.

Your plan to put a sofa on the right against the side wall will likely bring a nice improvement to the system. Difference should be quite marked. The dimensions of my room is almost similar to yours, longish and narrow. I have the sofa on the right, hifi equipment and TV on the left.

Just to clarify I was thinking Snells and Audio Notes as high sensitivity, plus the Russell Ks tbh, which are not but had a recommendation of using them with small valve amps.

The speaker end:

HiFi 2

The current listening seat:

Hifi 1

Room size is approx: 9m x 3.5m x 5m(ish) max for the ceiling.

*Plan is to put a sofa or chair on the right as you look at the system. Hence the need to have drivers up high. The home office thing is hopefully temporary, but who knows!

Another reason to change is that this is the only place in the house these JBL speakers can go. With a smaller setup it will be easier to accommodate in other rooms.

Lovely room, hope you get sounds to match.

"Sensitive small standmount" is an oxymoron.

bass, sensitivity, size: pick two

If a speaker is to be sensitive and have bass, it will be big. If a speaker is sensitive and small, it will have no bass. If a speaker is small and has bass, it will not be sensitive.
Thanks A LOT for explaining the laws of physics in a very clear and simple way.

Well, I know I’m old school but for me, so far, I never found anything more engaging than the Naim NAP 110 if engaging means groovy, funky, punchy bass and toe tapping.
No bass but lot of punch : paired with some Linn Kan v1
Good bass but less details : JBL 43.. something with a 12 inch woofer
In between : Proac Response D2

Well, I know I’m old school but for me, so far, I never found anything more engaging than the Naim NAP 110 if engaging means groovy, funky, punchy bass and toe tapping.
No bass but lot of punch : paired with some Linn Kan v1
Good bass but less details : JBL 43.. something with a 12 inch woofer
In between : Proac Response D2

In between might be good. I did hear audition a nice Naim NAC72/NAP140 with Epos ES14s and these were along the lines I think.

Transmission lines have always sounded good to me too when I heard them, but these are floor standing, which might work.

In between might be good. I did hear audition a nice Naim NAC72/NAP140 with Epos ES14s and these were along the lines I think.

Transmission lines have always sounded good to me too when I heard them, but these are floor standing, which might work.
+1 for the Epos 14 with shoe box Naim, really can’t go wrong with these.

+1 for the Epos 14 with shoe box Naim, really can’t go wrong with these.

Yeah, hardly used and freshly serviced too with proper stands. Only half an hour away from me but now sold.

looks like a perfect spot for Audio Notes?

Is that because of the corners? I do like the idea although with the couch going where it will be the drivers may not be high enough.

Yeah, hardly used and freshly serviced too with proper stands. Only half an hour away from me but now sold.

Is that because of the corners? I do like the idea although with the couch going where it will be the drivers may not be high enough.

efficient and might work perfectly in those corners (and free up some space)

stoP4Nr.jpg

advertisement

Back