advertisement

Was Devialet a fad?

I dipped my toe in the water with a s/h D200 a number of years ago and was surprised by how good it sounded- definitely the best digital reproduction I’ve experienced at home. I bought it to replace Lindemann D680 ARC Ref 3/ EAR 509 Anniversaries as a ‘downsize’ but it blew them away! Just got the D200 back from upgrading in France to Pro220 last December before all the customs hassle (phew) to go with a second 220 for use as a 440 dual mono once my bigger speakers finally come out of storage later this year.

I dipped my toe in the water with a s/h D200 a number of years ago and was surprised by how good it sounded- definitely the best digital reproduction I’ve experienced at home. I bought it to replace Lindemann D680 ARC Ref 3/ EAR 509 Anniversaries as a ‘downsize’ but it blew them away! Just got the D200 back from upgrading in France to Pro220 last December before all the customs hassle (phew) to go with a second 220 for use as a 440 dual mono once my bigger speakers finally come out of storage later this year.
My FIL has a main and slave unit, whatever that is. He’s had Naim, Krell etc in the past but this is what impressed him the most. He’s upgraded it several times. Well beyond my money but nice thing. I have a poor mans Devialet.

Not sure if it’s already been said - but they led the way for others to follow I think, so maybe now not so unique to have small all in one boxes or digital active speakers?

Eg Naim muso / Cabasse Pearl / B&W Formation duo

And too many all in one DAC amp streamers now to mention...

My D-Premier amp is the nicest piece of hifi equipment I ever owned I think (although no way I would have spent £10k++ on it new!!) but I’m moving it on as I want go back to active speakers :)

Not sure if it’s already been said - but they led the way for others to follow I think, so maybe now not so unique to have small all in one boxes or digital active speakers?

My D-Premier amp is the nicest piece of hifi equipment I ever owned I think (although no way I would have spent £10k++ on it new!!) but I’m moving it on as I want go back to active speakers :)

I think you're right there, there are far more all in one solutions today than there were back then, when i first bought mine, it was close to unique as a high end all in one box, I think there was also a D'Agostino maybe but that was and still is way out of my price range!

Reactions: RoA

What will you choose?

Looking like Cabasse Pearl at the mo... looks are as important as sound to me, so should be a nice balance :)

Had Devialet Gold Phantoms before but needed to correct the bass with a Dspeaker and they need to be well out the way because they are so easy to damage!

The Cabasse have room correction of some sort built in and protected drivers - but still look like something out of Star Wars :)

I did compare their top model to my Denon PMA850. At 11k, I felt it was not as good, which I was surprised at.

> Was Devialet a fad?

As largely a consumer audio brand like B&O, Sonos and Bose I think the attraction to audiophile enthusiasts in significant numbers probably was only temporary. The market sector Devialet is targeting is larger than the audiophile one and is not withering away so I doubt the company has much interest in a marketing push to win back the audiophile appeal that seems to have eroded in the last few years.

Yes I heard they may be in a bit of financial trouble having made promises to investors that haven’t come to fruition.... I’m sure those must have been based on selling to the masses.

They do spend a lot of money on Marketing!!!

But it's also not a crime to enjoy the hobby and to fancy a change or a step up. As long as you keep it affordable for yourself. I hate to see people worrying about their system and, even worse, the patronising advice to 'stick to what you have' and 'buy more music'. Most of us are drowning in music! We want to enjoy it through an ace system!
Absolutely. I have a relative who buys a "new" used car every year. It made him happy.

I do like to change the composition of my hifi from time to time with the surplus kit I have. But it's more for the fun of it, than a desperate desire to upgrade.

Maybe I'm just past caring about the nth degree of superlativity.

They look amazing! Well priced too. I didn't know they exist.

I love the stands too. A design statement if I have ever seen one.

Add one of these

https://images.app.goo.gl/KXvCHC37ysmL4jeW8

Will investigate these if I don't get on with the Formations.

You may as well just go for the flagship 4 way Sphere model with its 33inch bass driver.

You might not be able to afford the fancy chair to go with it though!! Or even a house to put it in!

I don't think I could live with Cabasse in the house even if it was cheap and the best possible sound. I don't have (or want) a dedicated listening room, and I wouldn't want those out on display in the common area. I like modern houses, furniture, etc. but not like that. Just my opinion!

I wouldn’t say a “fad”, I’d say an excellently executed marketing campaign and also gorgeous design, heavy Apple cues, which drove the initial awareness and interest, then people liked how they sounded, and then came the forum praise.

I'm not sure how I could be any happier with my 220 CI. Replaced a load of boxes & cables, a flaky streamer, a bunch of remotes. Sounds way better than the previous system, easier for other people to operate and find music (especially via Roon). Obvious upgrade path - add another, or add a sub or 2. Has the speaker matching wizardry, and even has some room correction avialable.

I think 'fad' is a bit harsh. Meridian have been marketing integrated systems for a few decades. I actually think big multiple box systems are more of a 'fad' albeit one that's is a bit sticky for some.

They sell wireless ear buds now too.... rushed to market and had to recall them due to loads of issues.
Definitely didn’t learn from their previous experiences - but as you say undoubtedly under pressure to launch!

advertisement

Back