advertisement

Amazon Music Changes

I am an Amazon Music subscriber but if I'm honest I've never paid any attention to whether it is the HD/Lossless version or not, I'm not even sure it matters as I use the DAC with a coax which I think means the most I get is 16/44(?)

I am an Amazon Music subscriber but if I'm honest I've never paid any attention to whether it is the HD/Lossless version or not, I'm not even sure it matters as I use the DAC with a coax which I think means the most I get is 16/44(?)

I think it will depend upon your streaming source and DAC spec. What are you using for those?

So something is definitely wrong. I updated and rebooted iPad, logged out and back into Amazon Music Unlimited. Still no HD and ULTRA-HD tags anywhere.

Here is an album that was tagged as ULTRA-HD a week ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j2IbN1OB6VkYkFB0I-CE-MLU_eKVATVz/view?usp=drivesdk

And here is "New Jazz Albums" - no HD or ULTRA-HD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iz9WT9jy4tTN1sP52CwQO5f0r9CFkdHs/view?usp=drivesdk

Another gripe: New jazz albums show about a few dozen, compared to a couple of hundred in Qobuz and many hundreds in Tidal.

Would the kind people here look on their apps and perhaps even post screenshots as above?

My IOS app version is 10.8.1.43331 (64 bit) remote US.

I went back and forth with Amazon help via email with no results. Update, reinstall, etc. Also, can report Amazon no longer sounds as good on known tracks as do Qobuz and Tidal. Thin and indesticnt.

Not good. Will spend time with their help in real time and see.

Last edited:
I'm quite enjoying my Amazon HD trial having had a few days to explore and understand a bit better - sound quality wise it's excellent & I can't reliably distinguish any difference against Tidal/Qobuz and of course there's no MQA to worry about which really doesn't interest me.
Here in France the ongoing cost of subscription (after 3 months) is 10 euros a month or the option of an annual payment of 100 euros - which roughly converts to £7.50 a month.
I do wonder whether Tidal & Qobuz, in the long term, are going to be able to compete with that - more likely (imo) a straight fight between Amazon & Spotify (if and when they finally go lossless).

Also impressed with the Amazon trial. I’ve just started it but I was immediately taken by the sound quality compared to Spotify. On my iPad the Hd and ultraHd shows up.

So Amazon music worth a try then? I have the limited free service I get with prime only used it via CCA and went back to cd

I’m new to this but if you use free services on Spotify it’s low definition. I’ve a Spotify premium account running alongside the Amazon trial. It’s easy to flick between the two on the same music. Unless I’m told I’m talking nonsense I can’t be bothered as it’s obvious the latter is simply better. Spotify are going to have to upgrade their service damn quick as ‘21 could be the year of stream wars... Amazon, with its serious clout can play the long game. Three months to build that library of songs that can’t be transferred to another provider?
I refuse to buy anything off them, yet.

Problems solved.

Apparently, Amazon Music HD customers, such as myself were changed to Music Unlimited a week and a half ago. We now have to go to our account settings and costkessly "upgrade" back to HD.

Weird. But I think HD service does sound better.

advertisement

Back