advertisement

Naim stageline or boards in Nac 82?

FC united

pfm Member
Hi,
Got a Nac 82 recently and I am using a Stageline powered by an Avondale spx.
Just wondering if an internal phono board would be an improvement over the above?

IIRC they are essentially the same circuits so I would use the stageline powered by the avondale power supply and give your preamp power supply one less thing to do.

Rgds
Stuart

I like the boards in the preamp and with a 82 it will benefit form a very good power supply. This configuration also provides a shorter signal path. The stage line employs the same MC circuit but needs a Hicap to sound good and then there are the extra cables.

I had 523S cards in my 82+SC but they've been removed (see below)

I currently run a Stageline S + Olive Hicap into input 1. Interconnect is a Flashback "Premier" and the 523S cards in the 82 obviously removed and replaced by 526 pass-through cards

Sondek configuration is pre-Cirkus, Zeta arm, AT MC cart. Lingo1, Trampolinn 2, but the deck is not optimally sited.

So I have tried them both, albeit not extensively.

MY feeling is that the Stageline is a tad better, but truth be told, there ain't much difference.

I still have a hankering to get the Witch Hat Superlink mod for the 82, and then try the 523S cards back in the 82 but utlising the dedicated power lines from the SCap.

However I've just spent my "playtime" money on Lego instead!! :D:D:p

Last edited:
Just to comment on the Superlink mod, I had the SC upgraded by Witch Hat to use their Newt boards, and the Phoenix boards put in the power amp. Along with the Superlink mod to the 82 I’m blown away by the results and I’d best describe it as Naim, but much more so. There is more detail, more hifi if you like but really I’m hearing stronger transients and clearer decays, more oomph, more tempo and more music. Vocals like (say) Lana Del Ray are gripping, piano the same, but at the same time I’ve got more bass in the SBLs. It is a really engaging sound. It’s musical, and what I bought Naim for in the first place and I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised given the background of the engineers responsible.

Ryan Sound Labs will soon have revised 500 series phono boards. That just might be the best bang for the buck. I plan on giving them a go for my 82.

Had the MC cards in the 82 and then in a stageline..to me they always felt rather tired.
The MC cards were not Naims strongest hour imo.

s/h Linto was the first time I realized what MCs are really about, to me it was a game changer.
Since then a standalone phono-stage is the only way to me.

Freedom of choice to change the pre for example is another +,
but the Ryan cards with good reviews from credible sources could well be an alternative.

Since they've already been mentioned, the RSL MC and MM phono boards that fit the 52/82/Nait3 will be available late next week ( 27 May). The MC boards feature adjustable compensation (54 to 560 ohm range with either 1nf or 6.8nf capacitance). The MM boards have adjustable input capacitance (0pf to 367pf in 47pf increments). The circuitry is identical to the latest phono boards for the 32/72 series preamps and are the best I've ever made. If you want more info please let me know.

Since they've already been mentioned, the RSL MC and MM phono boards that fit the 52/82/Nait3 will be available late next week ( 27 May). The MC boards feature adjustable compensation (54 to 560 ohm range with either 1nf or 6.8nf capacitance). The MM boards have adjustable input capacitance (0pf to 367pf in 47pf increments). The circuitry is identical to the latest phono boards for the 32/72 series preamps and are the best I've ever made. If you want more info please let me know.

Would love some extra info on these boards. Please PM me.

advertisement

Back