advertisement

Busting the MSG Myth

I quite like the msg - alcohol analogy mentioned upthread.

In normal quantities I don't notice msg, but when it's ladled into the wok I get heart palpitations and a strange malaise.

Likewise, I can eat as much kimchi as I like and remain unaffected the alcohol. Just one bottle of whiskey though, and I guarantee I'll have a headache the next day.

It's amazing how concentration can affect your experience.
I'd get more than a strange malaise if I put away a whole bottle of whisky. Headache would be the least of my worries.

My doctor mentioned that the symptoms I get are similar to those of one reacting to a poison as opposed to a allergic reaction. As to Vinny's constant assertion that MSG cannot cause any adverse effect on anyone, I will tell that to my migraine when I accidentally ingest some and see if it goes away. Sure, 99.9% of the population may be fine with added MSG, it's just that it triggers something in the remaining 0.1%.
As a fellow migraine sufferer (thankfully, a rare occurrence these days) It took me a while to work out that the levels of MSG in Chinese food were triggering nasty migraine attacks. In the days when I drank alcohol, it was easy to assume the wine and beer I quaffed during the course of an evening's Chinese meal was the cause of the nasties that night & the next day, and, indeed, alcohol & chocolate are known migraine triggers (neither of which I consume these days). It was only when I happened to be in a Chinese restaurant that advertised "No MSG added to our food" that I made the association. Such restaurants are few and far between, so it's easier to just avoid Chinese food from most places. If SWMBO makes a Chinese meal, no headache...

advertisement

Back