advertisement

Stylus cleaning... reccomendations

Greyandy

pfm Member
Hi All,
What's the best way (or best ways) to clean a stylus? I'm talking about regular cleaning (i.e. after every few records or so) rather than a more deep-clean option.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

The absolute best way is to start with clean records. If you do pick up a little dust/fluff then you can use one of those gel pots, like VP Dustbuster, which works pretty well. Magic eraser works well too - other's have recommended (in the past) those drummer's damping gel packs, but I've not used them.
With clean records I find I hardly ever have to clean the stylus. Very occasionally though, I'll use a little AT cleaning fluid... very rarely though.

Lots of options, depending on your liking for the routine and the spotless ;)
Safe options are mostly around a gentle brush. Special stylus brushes are available. Just brush very carefully and lightly. Looking from the side, brush from the back of the stylus forwards and dead straight. Any sideways movement could damage the cantilever. Back to front and gentle, 2 or 3 strokes is all.
Getting all mechanical, AT and others do the job for you with an ultrasonic cleaner. Same pad, but on a battery base which vibrates the crud off. Works well. A steady aim is needed to drop the stylus (via the arm lift, gently) onto the center of the pad.
After that we open the door on the weird world of innovation. pots of gluey stuff which are supposed to suck the crud off, liquids that disolve it or soften it etc but....too many stories of those (some of those) also softening the glue that attaches diamond to cantilever are around for the risk.

Wet clean your records.
Use an anti stat brush on every play, and gently brush the stylus from back to front afterwards.
Jobus completus.

Quite a few threads raised here - have a hunt - pick what you like from the (approx.) 482584935 different suggestions.

In the circs you describe, ESCO advised me that an otherwise unused sable artists’ brush, drawn forward across the stylus would remove fluff.

Stylus care
Ortofon does not recommend the use of solvents of any kind for cleaning of either the record surface or stylus. If necessary, records may be washed in lukewarm demineralized water with a dash of sulphonic soap. Remove dust carefully from record surfaces by using a fine antistatic brush or cloth before every use.

The use of solvents on the stylus and cantilever may damage stylus cement; interior parts of the cartridge can be affected seriously by the intrusion of solvents. The Ortofon Aftersales will not be valid in cases where such treatment has caused malfunction.

For cleaning the stylus, use the enclosed fibre brush a few times along the cantilever in the direction of the stylus, whenever you play a new record or change sides.

Record care should also be performed regularly and is of paramount importance to prolong the life and condition of the stylus. Because of this, a record cleaning machine may be considered for ease and quality of record cleaning.

Have used an Onzow Zerodust or Cymbal Moongel pad daily for about ten years. Both good for quickly removing stylus dust.

Have also used Stylast wet cleaner weekly on Dynavector, EMT and Ortofon carts. No issues at all.

Lastly, about once a month, I’ll drag out the Flux HIFI, a modern day version of the AT vibrating cleaner.

Just being real: I don't wet-clean records and I don't brush them, either, unless there's a serious cat hair situation going on. If there's fuzz on the stylus, I blow it off there, which I know you're not supposed to do. Every 2-3 weeks, I give the stylus a buzz with the AT vibrating cleaner, with some Lyra SPT on the pad if I'm feeling saucy. Basically, I think enjoyment of LPs decreases in proportion to the amount of worrying one does.

51017682037_24a101e42e_b.jpg

Audio Technica AT637 vibrating cleaner. I’ve used one for over 40 years now and can’t imagine using anything else. It works great, is simple to use, and does no harm (I’d know by now if it did, surely?!). I use it dry, or with a drop of fluid from the cartridge manufacturer, e.g. I’m currently using a drop of Nagaoka’s stylus fluid on the pad.

PS Plus clean records, obviously. I have a VPI 17i that takes care of that one.

Cheep as chips, a piece of Blu Tac, lower the stylus onto it a couple of times.

DO NOT lower your stylus on to watchmakers putty or blu tac - you risk it adhering to the cantilever with potentially catastrophic results - I speak from experience! This may be fine with chunky MM carts, but not with MCs that have sapphire cantilevers.

Make a small piece and use it to dab the stylus gently by hand. It is, without doubt, the most effective stylus cleaning methind I have tried.

I don't use a single cleaning method. Yes I too use an RCM - clean records are the place to start. I sometimes use a Nakoaka CL-1000 roller too.

I use Onzow Zerodust, AT637 as per TonyL, a soft brush, carbon fibre stylus brush, Magic Eraser, AT fluid. If one tool doesn't do it then I pick another. Mostly I use one of the brushes.

51017682037_24a101e42e_b.jpg

Audio Technica AT637 vibrating cleaner. I’ve used one for over 40 years now and can’t imagine using anything else. It works great, is simple to use, and does no harm (I’d know by now if it did, surely?!). I use it dry, or with a drop of fluid from the cartridge manufacturer, e.g. I’m currently using a drop of Nagaoka’s stylus fluid on the pad.

PS Plus clean records, obviously. I have a VPI 17i that takes care of that one.

or the Ortofon version. I got mine FREE donkey years ago when they couldnt sell their MC30/20 super MC cartridges so giving them free when you bought one. A life time purchase. I use a drop of de mineralised water and that does the job

There's currently a bit of a scare story doing the rounds regarding the Onzow ZeroDust gell pad cleaner thingy (AnalogPlanet). I have got one I’ve had for many many years, but to be honest I’ve only ever used it about three times as it is just so awkward (entirely the wrong height for every deck I’ve owned), plus I like/trust the AT637 so much I’ve never felt the need. Worth a read if it is your main cleaning tool though.

advertisement

Back