advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Active isolation platforms? Makes sense for a high power microscope or lab measurement equipment, but for a TT? FFS!

https://www.herzan.com/products/active-vibration-control/ts-series.html

Look, you can get a pre-owned one for $7500! Stone cold bargain! *

https://www.chambersaudio.com/produ...ing_wp_cron=1621279385.3977239131927490234375

* for a lunatic!

He's using a $5000 USB cable.

I'd wager £1,000 right now you could swap it for a £2.99 one from Amazon and it would never be noticed...

I like the "most audiophiles agree ......." statement , sheer lunacy :D

I think this is a British thing. Reverse class snobbery, mixed with envy and sour grapes. This guy obviously has a lot of money, and spends it on something he enjoys. I bet his system sounds fantastic, despite all the sneering comments.

I think this is a British thing. Reverse class snobbery, mixed with envy and sour grapes. This guy obviously has a lot of money, and spends it on something he enjoys. I bet his system sounds fantastic, despite all the sneering comments.
I’m not British.

I like to figure out how (or if) things work before I decide whether they are worth it. The system in the article looks like it belongs with someone who is looking for expensive solutions to possibly imagined problems. Lots of dealers and online reviewers are available to assist people like that.

His system probably does sound fantastic (I mean, it should) but I would bet a large part of the budget could be cut out while achieving an identical sound.

Last edited:

I can assure you i'm not at all envious of any element of this system and FWIW my comment was aimed at the pre owned active vibration control system advert.

Cheers

No, no envy or sour grapes at all. All power to him, people somewhere are making a fortune selling this sort of stuff which all contributes to keeping the economic wheels turning. He could spend $10k on one and I'd have no issue with it.

It was merely an observation of the stupidity of a $5k USB cable and the fact it will make no difference whatsoever to the sound, not any reflection on the buyer's ability to buy or own it.

And I'd still make the same wager.

I had been thinking of putting up some snaps of my system. Whether some of the recent comments are based on envy or sour grapes is neither here nor there; I don’t think I would want my little system subjected to such observations. I do realise, however, that the system isn’t (possibly) a PFM members system.

I think from a certain point on the hunt for more money is a hamster-wheel.
It's a thing of perspective..
Looking in front of you, more money to buy more exclusive stuff seems a good idea.
From the side-view others may see you running in a wheel like mad to get something you'll never reach.
(destination 'more money' is a goal you'll die trying to arrive at..)

Those people if given the choice to wish whatever they like
might tell you to step aside bc they want the sun in their face.

Are they envious ? Not necessarily I think..

That thing looks like a damn cathedral..I wouldn't feel comfortable being there
and I wouldn't swap it with my living room.

No...I'm not.. :)

I’m lucky enough not to have a lot of money so I stick firmly to solid vfm products. It makes me appreciate it more, like all I buy. I feel lucky to have what I have and it’s a conduit to my passion. Those that can often do spend on more exotic stuff. Because they can. And it’s also their love and passion. But you have to have your wits about you so you don’t get pulled in by some dubious marketing. Having said that, some expensive things do sound good.

I’m lucky enough not to have a lot of money so I stick firmly to solid vfm products. It makes me appreciate it more, like all I buy. I feel lucky to have what I have and it’s a conduit to my passion. Those that can often do spend on more exotic stuff. Because they can. And it’s also their love and passion. But you have to have your wits about you so you don’t get pulled in by some dubious marketing. Having said that, some expensive things do sound good.
Yes, I appreciate what I have because I worked hard to earn to pay for it. I had a friend who did photography but never a steady job because an inheritance paid for everything. For me it would be harder to appreciate and value things if I was just able to walk in to any store, point at things and take them home without careful consideration. I also enjoy the journey, finding things I want to fix or restore and hold on to. The effort is part of the reward, and maybe for me the ultimate sound takes a back seat.

This kind of ‘frugality’ also let me retire very early. I have income to pay for the essentials, and can choose to work (however I want) to pay for perks (travel, bikes, fancy meals, house projects).

A lot of my former coworkers still think you just work until a certain age, and buy whatever you can with the money you are earning at each stage. Bigger house, more cars, boat, audio system, 2nd or 3rd home. But I’ve managed to win some of them over by example. You don’t need to keep finding ways to spend money. Maybe some of what you buy helps you deal with work you don’t enjoy (that was me), but you can get off the treadmill earlier than you might think. Or you can have all the things. Your choice.

But people shouldn’t assume that if someone doesn’t like something expensive, they are envious or sour grapes. It seems defensive to jump to that conclusion.

I had been thinking of putting up some snaps of my system. Whether some of the recent comments are based on envy or sour grapes is neither here nor there; I don’t think I would want my little system subjected to such observations. I do realise, however, that the system isn’t (possibly) a PFM members system.
Nowhere near enough pics on this thread, bang some up. :)

Yes, I appreciate what I have because I worked hard to earn to pay for it. I had a friend who did photography but never a steady job because an inheritance paid for everything. For me it would be harder to appreciate and value things if I was just able to walk in to any store, point at things and take them home without careful consideration. I also enjoy the journey, finding things I want to fix or restore and hold on to. The effort is part of the reward, and maybe for me the ultimate sound takes a back seat.

This kind of ‘frugality’ also let me retire very early. I have income to pay for the essentials, and can choose to work (however I want) to pay for perks (travel, bikes, fancy meals, house projects).

A lot of my former coworkers still think you just work until a certain age, and buy whatever you can with the money you are earning at each stage. Bigger house, more cars, boat, audio system, 2nd or 3rd home. But I’ve managed to win some of them over by example. You don’t need to keep finding ways to spend money. Maybe some of what you buy helps you deal with work you don’t enjoy (that was me), but you can get off the treadmill earlier than you might think. Or you can have all the things. Your choice.

But people shouldn’t assume that if someone doesn’t like something expensive, they are envious or sour grapes. It seems defensive to jump to that conclusion.

I like your ethos. My brother worked in corporate and retired with a small fortune at 58. At the time he could just buy anything and he did. But he has accepted that because of this he really didn’t appreciate things enough, whether it was tickets to the opera in Milan or dinner at the Fat Duck. He’s now retired and he really doesn’t do much because he seems to have no real passion and he’s experienced so many ‘special things’ already.

A few years ago my wife saved for a whole year to take me to the ROH to see Madame Butterfly. It was so special and I never thought I would ever be able to afford to go there. I loved it and remember it to this day, just as vividly when I saw it. Being there and seeing it once was enough to sustain me for years.

Music for me is greater than hifi or money. I could listen to an old Sony tranny and still be enthralled. I’m lucky.

System:
Speakers: Dutch & Dutch 8c's
Stands: solidsteel SS-5
Preamp: MiniDSP Studio

Roon & Network:
ROCK: Intel NUC i7 10th Gen
Storage: QNAP TS-251+
LPSU: HD-Plex 300

Oh, that's a surprise! In what sense is it different to the Aavik (IIRC, hard to keep track with you :)) and your DIY speakers?

Nice. Those stands worry me though - look a bit top heavy, but I'm sure they're fine

They are remarkable stable, the SS5 stands have a top-plate c200 x 200mm, BUT I have some custom adaptor plates on order. The base of the tripods are 33cm point to point in an equilateral triangle, the speaker is 270 wide and 370 deep. The 250 x 350mm adaptor plate will be centred and screwed on the existing MDF top plate (I have two sets), then the speaker will be bolted to the stands through the dedicated fixing points to the base of the speaker. That should be super steady then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back