advertisement

Michell Gyrodec SE DC power supply

MikeMA

pfm Member
My new Gyrodec SE has the basic Michell power supply. I've been told by a couple of people that an upgraded version would be significantly better.

I know about Michell Engineering's own HR version, and a couple made by True Point Audio. Are there any other versions out there I should consider? I've seen some older threads on here and AOS on this topic, but I'm wondering if things have moved on, or am I wasting my time and money even thinking about it?

I've decided to stick with the Tecnoarm for a while as it seems quite decent.

Next up I will be agonising over the choice between Pete's and Solidair's Pylon upgrades, or not.

I'd enjoy the deck a while before messing with the pylon type mods, sub chassis or platter upgrades to get a feel for it, unless you're familiar with the deck.

Not heard any 3rd party PSUs but the HR made a very noticeable difference on my mine, it was a lot cheaper back then though. The pitch stability and bass were areas most improved. I do have a Tru Point PSU on another deck and it's very good. Had excellent support from both Michell and TP.

The TecnoArm is excellent, you'd need to pay a fair whack to significantly better it imho. SME 309/IV/V levels. I had a TecnoArm on it for a good while and have had a V but moved over to a PU7, in a minority but the V didn't float my boat.

Had my Gyro nigh on 20 years, lovely deck to own and use.

ATB

Gus

I'd enjoy the deck a while before messing with the pylon type mods, sub chassis or platter upgrades to get a feel for it, unless you're familiar with the deck.

the HR made a very noticeable.
The pitch stability and bass were areas most improved. I’ve Had excellent support from Michell.

The TecnoArm is excellent, you'd need to pay a fair whack to significantly better it imho. SME 309/IV/V levels.
lovely deck to own and use.

ATB

Gus
Totally agree with all of the above. I wouldn’t rush to start modding it yet.
If I did, the HR PS would be my first move, along with getting a great cart & phono stage.
Also agree that the Technoarm is very decent, obviously suits the deck to a tee, & it would take an SME IV/V level arm to better it.

Totally agree with all of the above. I wouldn’t rush to start modding it yet.
If I did, the HR PS would be my first move, along with getting a great cart & phono stage.
Also agree that the Technoarm is very decent, obviously suits the deck to a tee, & it would take an SME IV/V level arm to better it.

Thanks. I'm currently using an AT33PTG/EAR 834/Jadis Orchestra/HLP3-ESRs with the Gyro/Tecnoarm. The system is sounding very good to my ears at the moment. I'm not sure my LP collection and the rest of my system really warrants upgrading the cart and phono stage at the moment. I should perhaps just take yours and others advice here and let things settle for a bit!

Thanks. I'm currently using an AT33PTG/EAR 834/Jadis Orchestra/HLP3-ESRs with the Gyro/Tecnoarm. The system is sounding very good to my ears at the moment. I should perhaps just take yours and others advice here and let things settle for a bit!
Definitely.
At least a year, I’d say. Buy some more records instead. Nice system.

The phono stage is definitely the weak link there!
I thought the EAR 834P was generally well regarded, although I've heard it said that the internal MC step-up transformers aren't all that special compared to some. Having said that I've never compared it with similarly priced phono stages. I've got the Deluxe version, what alternatives would you recommend in that price point, around the £2k mark?

The EAR is a great phono stage for sure.

Those Pylons - tried them, pretty much killed the Gyrodec 'signature' for me and looked stupid. So I got rid of them.

The HR power supply was a great addition, but the price of it now is pretty mega. Think I paid £250 from Frank Harvey and was very chuffed for what it brought. I also moved from a Rega RB300 to an SME 309 - again when prices where sensible...

I thought the EAR 834P was generally well regarded, although I've heard it said that the internal MC step-up transformers aren't all that special compared to some. Having said that I've never compared it with similarly priced phono stages. I've got the Deluxe version, what alternatives would you recommend in that price point, around the £2k mark?

It has it's limitations yes and the quality of the SUT's is the main one. It was EAR's budget model and was MUCH less than £2K originally (more like £400 ish IIRC). I would expect my Arkless GTi model to comfortably beat it for a fraction of the price. For £2k there are plenty of models which are in another league to the 834p.

Having been investigating and listening to a few SUTs, stages and head amp's, the EAR MC stage (really SUTs and a MM stage), has been questioned. Less so than the EAR MM stage.
Suffice to say that I am VERY curious about a head amp' built in the NW coupled with some MM stages. Certainly at least one PFMer significantly preferred a head amp' into the EAR MM stage compared to the EAR MC stage.

advertisement

Back