advertisement

MQA pt II

Source: Oxford Dictionary of English, Oxford University Press, 2010,2017,2019.

filter /ˈfɪltə /
▸ noun
1 a porous device for removing impurities or solid particles from a liquid or gas passed through it:

an oil filter.
▪ a filter tip:
[as modifier] a cheap filter cigarette.
▪ a screen, plate, or layer of a substance which absorbs light or other radiation or selectively absorbs some of its components:
filters can be used in photography to reduce haze.

a device for suppressing electrical or sound waves of frequencies not required.

▪ Computing (in image-editing software) a function used to alter the overall appearance of an image in a specific manner:
many other apps also offer filters for enhancing photos.
▪ Computing a piece of software that processes data before passing it to another application, for example to reformat characters or to remove unwanted types of material.
2 British an arrangement whereby vehicles may turn left (or right) while other traffic waiting to go straight ahead or turn right (or left) is stopped by a red light:
[as modifier] a filter lane.
▪ a traffic light signalling a filter arrangement.

verb
1 [with object] pass (a liquid, gas, light, or sound) through a device to remove unwanted material:

the eye filters out ultraviolet radiation.
▪ process or assess (items) in order to reject those that are unwanted:
you'll be put through to a secretary whose job it is to filter calls
the brain has the ability to filter out information it considers non-essential.
▪ Computing process or treat with a filter.
2 [no object, with adverbial of direction] move slowly in a specified direction:
the players filtered out on to the pitch.
▪ (of light or sound) enter a place slowly or in small quantities:
sunlight filtered in through the thin curtains.
▪ (of information) gradually become known:
the news began to filter in from the hospital.
▪ British (of traffic) be allowed to pass to the left or right at a junction while traffic going straight ahead is halted.

– PHRASES
have no filter
have a tendency to say exactly what one is thinking without considering the consequences:
I have no filter and I do say things that I probably shouldn't say.

– ORIGIN late Middle English (denoting a piece of felt): from French filtre, from medieval Latin filtrum ‘felt used as a filter’, of West Germanic origin and related to felt1.

It's all over guys.

Apple announces dolby atmos on apple music, no cost option...
Don't we all have to get new speakers and amps now?

And folks here we're bitchin' about $35 MQA DAC fee...

This is from the release:

J Balvin said: “I’m really excited to be part of this project with Apple Music because I always want to be a step ahead and I think this is one of those steps. With Lossless, everything in the music is going to sound bigger and stronger but more importantly, it will be better quality. Hearing myself and my music in Dolby Atmos for the first time, it was just crazy, it blew my mind, it’s indescribable. I think fans will really love this new experience.”

Reactions: RoA
"the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings", Dolby Atmos or no Dolby Atmos. Must be like Sony 360 Reality Audio.

Apple, Spotify and Amazon now lossless at lowered pricing. Sorry mqa, you're relegated to some niche audiophool format destined for the trashcan alongside your streaming partners. Couldn't happen to nicer people :p

Apple, Spotify and Amazon now lossless at lowered pricing. Sorry mqa, you're relegated to some niche audiophool format destined for the trashcan alongside your streaming partners. Couldn't happen to nicer people :p

Spotify lossless?

Magnanimous, aren't you?

Reactions: RoA
I do. So what price will Spotify Lossless be?

You seem to know everything.

Given that Amazon and Apple aren't charging for Hi Res, I think Spotify will now have to follow suit.

I wonder if Tidal will revise it's recent pricing changes?

No, we don't. That is separate service, not forced to every user.
I thought Atmos communicates height information and therefore requires a new decoder and special speakers that fire up.

I have a standard 7.1 home theater setup in the basement and I will have to buy a new receiver and speakers to get Atmos.

Atmos is a new format. From DOLBY:

Hear how everything sounds better.
You just need entertainment recorded in Dolby Atmos and a device that plays in Dolby Atmos. What do you want to hear?

Sounds familiar?

And it's not even LOSSLESS! TrueHD (Bob Stuart's MLP) is but not Atmos, alas...

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-truehd/

advertisement

Back