advertisement

Tiny speaker recommendations? - for mobile system

b-lilja

pfm Member
Hi,

I am piecing together a system which I can take on vacation, use at office, etc. and easily move around and transport in a Pelican case. I am thinking about a Unitiqute as the system core, and am trying to figure out the right speaker. Right now I have a pair of Canton Plus S Satellites that are about 8" high (I know, I mean REALLY small). They sound very good, clean, though of course the low end is negligible. Any other speakers about that size that would be worth considering? One nice thing about the Cantons is they are built like bricks and can handle the movement.

Guess it depends just how 'portable' you want the system to be? A few decades ago I needed ...err....wanted... a half decent system to 'commute' with (month on month off) and had a pair of small active speakers and a Sony discman.
These days I think I'd just be looking at a decent pair of powered speakers with DAC built in, that I could feed from phone/portable HDD/stream as a source. KEF LSX or something similar?

Last edited:
There are some decent bluetooth speakers out there, some of them you can double up for stereo duties and obviously increased volume.
They are quite impressive some of them. I can't find the pair I bought a while ago now but great audio for around 60 quid.

If you’re going down the Unitiqute then I’d second Amber Audio’s recommendation of the little Dali speakers, they’re fab little things... my portable system would probably be my iPhone/iPad/MacBook, a Chord Mojo and the little Genelecs mentioned above. Both options would sound great.

+1 on the Genelecs.

Before I got into hifi I spent a lot of time making music and worked with Genelcs alot. I had the 6010 (older but similar to 8010 I'm sure) and they worked very well for moving around.

A more recent speaker that gets a lot of good reviews on music production forums is the IL iLoud. Cheaper than Genelec and lighter.. which could be a positive for travel !

Set of Mark Audio Sota Tozzi Ones in use here, replace my Dali Lector 1'st, sound amazing driven by a pair of Hypex NC400 amps.
https://kjfaudio.com/product/tozzi-one/

200 x 126 x 200 mm

You can use camera tripods as stands for them, as they have the correct threaded thingy. Works really well on desk/in room.

@orangeart of these very forums sells them via the link above

Rpi 4 with piCoreplayer + USB Dac + Genelec 8010

Yes, think that's a good way, though maybe just a dac hat on the pi to reduce the box count (weight + additional leads + power supply if needed etc)?

Surely a phone/laptop/tablet into a USB DAC makes more sense... it’s a portable system and you have these devices with you on the move.
You would need one of the above, plus a wifi network to control a Pi.

Rpi 4 with piCoreplayer + USB Dac + Genelec 8010
RPi (v2) loaded with 300 CDs on SD and sticks + DAC hat + 2x Genelecs is exactly what I use. Tethered to my phone, which gives control via iPeng, plus Spotify and radio.

Is that what you take out across the golf course MB? Scare those killer sheep orf? ;)

If it's wired, Soundmatters setup is a must to investigate. In my serious travel, that's what I bring, with dual mini-subs.

Wireless, Sony's LDAC speakers are excellent, if you stream from Android, which now supports it.

Great suggestions so far - and has me thinking about alternative approaches, esp. with the powered speaker angle.

Any suggestions for any other tiny vintage or vintagish passive speakers? I had forgotten about these: https://www.audiosmile.com/lbm-ii

But honestly, I'm looking to do this on the cheap. A pair of good Plus-Ss are $100-150.

Also now thinking about a Mojo-Io combi system.

My favorite is the Totem Mite as it’s rather good sounding and can produce a decent amount of bass when located near the back wall.

Nevertheless, if I was to bring something with me when traveling to listen to my music and get a very deep bass in a super compact form, I would use this although the primary usage is for something else :

https://www.thomann.de/be/phil_jones_double_four_bg_75_rd_466811.htm

This little box is quite amazing on a bass guitar as well as when used with its auxiliary input.
Also, the case is ultra robust, I have the single 7 inch version and it’s pretty much indestructible.

Taking a Hifi with you when travel and on vacations?

Am I the only one finding this a little odd (not to say cumbersome)?

No offense to the OP if you can't live without a hifi when on holidays but some good headphones and a phone can sound fairly decent these days.

If you really must though, I'd probably go for some Kef LSX.

advertisement

Back