advertisement

World’s first Triphonic speaker...

x8jSW2W.jpg

Presenting the "Cell Alpha" - a "triphonic speaker". Sounds like it would work wonders with Sony 360 Reality Audio (and MQA?):

"... it features a round body with an omnidirectional acoustical design, which theoretically means the speaker will sound the same no matter what angle you listen to it from. There are a pair of force-canceling woofers on the top and bottom, and three tweeters with wide waveguides arranged around the speaker’s circumference.

But more than that, it uses something the company calls ‘triphonic’ audio to offer users “full control” of sounds with “precise placement and localization.” According to Syng:

You can put sound wherever you want, shrink it, move it, magnify it, and layer it. Or let the Cell handle everything – with Triphonic audio, it’s able to virtualize any speaker array and accurately spatialize sound for your room. When sound is all around you, it’s intimate, totally enveloping and unlike anything you’ve ever heard.

Syng’s speaker is using beamforming — a technique that essentially allows you to ‘aim’ soundwaves — to be able to adjust the spatial qualities of the resultant sound field.

The company claims that just one speaker is able to create a realistic, room-filling stereo sound and that a pair of speakers can work without needing to arrange the speakers in a traditional equilateral-ish triangle."

Syng’s speaker is using beamforming — a technique that essentially allows you to ‘aim’ soundwaves — to be able to adjust the spatial qualities of the resultant sound field.

That’s actually interesting technology. One of my friends was the AV tech for a major art gallery (yes, that one), and has used some remarkably directional speaker technology for certain installations etc so the commentary or soundtrack for a piece beams directly at the person viewing the work, but is all but inaudible a foot or two away. Not so sure of a hi-fi use, but fairly narrow-band speech content can be beamed to an astonishing degree.

The Yamaha soundbar I bought off a Fishie has that ‘beamforming’ thing. Can’t really claim that it does much for me...

I had a pair of canon speakers I think that dispersed treble everywhere, they sounded terrible.

One of the developers was involved in designing the Apple home pod. Hope it sounds better although that wouldn’t be difficult.

@Tony, i think it was senheiser who made them, a fancy interference beamed speaker where the sound only manifests in a very narrow area of overlap.

The only thing I know about beam forming is that my Sonos Roam has beam forming microphones. Haven’t got a clue how they work, but work they do. They can pick up an “Alexa, play ..” spoken command from across the room while playing music. Very impressive.

That’s actually interesting technology. One of my friends was the AV tech for a major art gallery (yes, that one), and has used some remarkably directional speaker technology for certain installations etc so the commentary or soundtrack for a piece beams directly at the person viewing the work, but is all but inaudible a foot or two away. Not so sure of a hi-fi use, but fairly narrow-band speech content can be beamed to an astonishing degree.

Perfect for those with neighbours :D

advertisement

Back