advertisement

New Linn streamer

I wish Linn great success with the new streamer and if it keeps their workforce in work with the current state of the world with the covid pandemic and our britexit uncertainty so much the better.
I know 30 k is alot of dosh to drop but it's all realitive to their competition with their competitors like DCS who's digital product is probably more expensive than the new streamer.
I know the SME 30 has been mentioned and I suppose you can instantly see it's a seriously engineered turntable, but no ones outraged at the price.
I suppose with digital something I know very little about it must be the research and development costs and marketing it as the best we can make product.
Hope it sounds incredible - I am sure it does.

Last edited:
I wish Linn great sucess with the new streamer and if it keeps their workforce in work with the current state of the world with the covid pandemic and our britexit uncertainty so much the better.
I know 30 k is alot of dosh to drop but it's all realitive to their competition with their competitors like DCS who's digital product is probably more expensive than the new streamer.
I know the SME 30 has been mentioned and I suppose you can instantly see it's a seriously engineered turntable, but no ones outraged at the price.
I suppose with digital something I know very little about it must be the research and development costs and marketing it as the best we can make product.
Hope it sounds incredible - I am sure it does.

I have no doubt it’ll sound incredible, if it’s an improvement on the Katalyst KDS, I can’t imagine how something could sound better.

Right back now , had a bit of a nod, if you can afford 30K, then that's fine, if you can't then that's fine too, i have a 20k cd player, some people like cars, some fast women, they all cost, price's in England are expensive, for hifi, I think relatively speaking when you open the box of a streamer you wonder where the money has gone, opposed to a big heavy amp, don't forget the dealer mark-up at about 50%, plus everyone in the food chain wants a profit, think of it a 10k box for 30k, and you wont be for wrong, as always, vote with your wallet,

right where did i leave that beer, :rolleyes:

This guy appears quite positive about the whole thing

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-linn-klimax-dsm-with-organik-dac-r996/

Finally, a product release that's 100% worth the pre-announcement hype!
I can't count all the press releases and hype emails I've received over the years. I admit, I ask for them because I want to know what's coming. 99% of the time it's all hat no cattle. The hype is almost never proportional to the product. This time is different.​
After watching the videos in the link you can see where your 30K has gone. The question is, new organik klimax or new rocket 3!!

Twenty five years ago Linn laid off half their employees and said 'we are only interested in making hi-fi gear for people who drive Ferrari's'. I haven't given them a moments thought since then. I consider them a 'toys for rich men' company, not a hi-fi company.

The rot began with the demise of the LK series, which was more recent - maybe 16 years ago or so.

+1 Thanks for taking the time to review and write what amounts to a small novella :) If we ever get moving about again I might be tempted to give it a listen vs Rossini/Clock.

As a very happy KDSM/2 user, I’m not going to be buying one of these although I’ll certainly be interested in hearing what the new Dac might achieve (as long as it comes in at a reasonable price - Linn would be nuts not to hoover up cash and cover their R&D investment from those who’ll never be in the market for a £30k machine).

in the meantime I’m interested in seeing if it’s possible to bridge the performance gap - I appreciate that your comparison was with a Katalyst-equipped Akurate and find the Klimax version to be a better player, really good though the Akurate is. The recent addition of a PhoenixNET has certainly elevated performance to an unexpected degree but that’s still an expensive bit of kit (although well worth it in my system) and it’s working on what goes into the KDSM, so I’m looking at what you can do with the streamer itself.

As a very happy KDSM/2 user, I’m not going to be buying one of these although I’ll certainly be interested in hearing what the new Dac might achieve (as long as it comes in at a reasonable price - Linn would be nuts not to hoover up cash and cover their R&D investment from those who’ll never be in the market for a £30k machine).

in the meantime I’m interested in seeing if it’s possible to bridge the performance gap - I appreciate that your comparison was with a Katalyst-equipped Akurate and find the Klimax version to be a better player, really good though the Akurate is. The recent addition of a PhoenixNET has certainly elevated performance to an unexpected degree but that’s still an expensive bit of kit (although well worth it in my system) and it’s working on what goes into the KDSM, so I’m looking at what you can do with the streamer itself.

I've heard plenty of Klimax Katalyst based systems and have a pretty good idea of the difference between the Akurate and Klimax versions. The difference here though was in a completely different level - not just an improvement, but something fundamentally better. Like going from an Akurate 2200 amp to Solos.

advertisement

Back