advertisement

Don't let anyone tell you mains supply doesn't matter

Pretty simple steps to installing a dedicated radial circuit, if that's what you're aiming for; you really don't need some archaic and vague pro forma.

Some folks reccomend 2 circuits and keep your amps and analogue gear on one and digital on the other.

Some folks recomend 2 circuits and keep your amps and analogue gear on one and digital on the other.

There are a number of options including routing outside the house to having the c.u. adj. to the hifi to having a separate radial for every piece (as I do) etcetera ad nauseam. As aforementioned, any advice is there and has been covered umpteen times here along with its commensurate controversy. You need a plan and a sparks and preferably basic knowledge of the materials needed.

Yes, a rather barbed comment I feel towards someone who always explains his reasoning why he may favour one design over another, for my money anyway is absolutely more than fair in what he charges for his work and always has the purist of motives, which is to make the best possible foo-less bit of kit within the given limits.

I suspect the genset was not outputting a very good sinewave, which is probably why your gear didn't sound as good.

Your mains has to be pretty damn awful before it gets through the last cap in your psu, really startlingly awful, bad enough to cause the traffo to crap out. Your diodes couldn't care less what they see as long as there's enough rail voltage for the circuit and failing huge spikes it's all good.

Of course that's assuming the circuit has half decent psrr.

I remember that once upon a time (way before Naim got into $$$$ cables) a member of either this forum or the Naim one posted a pdf explanation of his hi-fi mains ring installation (from mains board to plugs: fuse, type of wires, etc.). Anyone remember that? I would like to get a hold of it again now that I'm having the electricity redone. And something tells me it can be more efficient than spending $$$ on the last few meters of cable...

I have sent you a response in a 'conversation'.

Agreed. Once you have a good idea of what, where and how (cable routing, that is), I'd be happy to help with advice and shopping list based upon my own and friends' installations.

Better still employ the services of someone qualified who knows what they are talking about and can carry out the work correctly and meet the latest regulations and then provide a certificate and notify building control. A legal requirement in the UK.

Better still employ the services of someone qualified who knows what they are talking about and can carry out the work correctly and meet the latest regulations and then provide a certificate and notify building control. A legal requirement in the UK.

This is an obvious given. Ian, as it's a legal requirement as you say, but you still need to know what you want and where you want it before calling in the sparks. He can advise on electrical requirements and possibilities, but not, I feel, on your hifi requirements. I thought my post above was clear, so I'm surprised at you stating the obvious and much discussed as 'better still'.

This is an obvious given. Ian, as it's a legal requirement as you say, but you still need to know what you want and where you want it before calling in the sparks. He can advise on electrical requirements and possibilities, but not, I feel, on your hifi requirements. I thought my post above was clear, so I'm surprised at you stating the obvious and much discussed as 'better still'.

Mike, what I don't like is you now offering advice and a shopping list based upon nothing more than an potentially dangerous 20 year old DIY bodge. How can you possibly think you are qualified to advise anyone on any electrical installation, you admit you are hopelessly out of touch with any regulations and have no concept of why your suggestions are dangerous. If you think people should employ an electrician then say that and don't offer advice.

Mike, what I don't like is you now offering advice and a shopping list based upon nothing more than an potentially dangerous 20 year old DIY bodge. How can you possibly think you are qualified to advise anyone on any electrical installation, you admit you are hopelessly out of touch with any regulations and have no concept of why your suggestions are dangerous. If you think people should employ an electrician then say that and don't offer advice.
Most electricians will have no concept of a dedicated hifi ring, so would just do what they know unless instructed differently. Mike is, I think, offering guidance on how to instruct them, not on what they need to do to meet the regs.

Most electricians will have no concept of a dedicated hifi ring, so would just do what they know unless instructed differently. Mike is, I think, offering guidance on how to instruct them, not on what they need to do to meet the regs.

This is nonsense Sue, there is no such thing as a dedicated hifi ring. There are ring circuits there are radial circuits and there are spurs. Don't attempt to mystify it because there's an amplifier or cd player hanging off the end.

Mike is offering to advise and provide a shopping list, this is lunacy unless he's happy to provide public liability insurance along side.

Any sparks will simply yes/ no on Mike's suggestions, no more no less. Anyone not qualified to do the install isn't qualified to do it, plain and simple, Mike's not suggesting anyone not qualified do the work themselves.

Whether there's any technical merit in the suggestions is by the by.

Bit of a fabrication, Ian. Mine was installed by a qualified electrician a little over 10 years ago (not 20). Why you think my installation is potentially dangerous was never explained by previous posters, nor you. Regulations change and that's the electrician's job to advise, as I said, though doubt that T & E cable, consumer units (now changed back to metal), RCBOs etc, have changed much (if at all).

Your patronising stance is totally out of context and order, as I fully maintain that it's best to have a good idea of one's mains NEEDS apropos one's system and placement as well as room/dwelling logistics BEFORE asking a sparks to come in to advise on the electrical side. One aspect of this is cable routing. Surely better to have an idea of how cable(s) can be easily routed from incoming to your chosen hifi position. This ongoing contretemps is tiring and unnecessary as you seem to conflate 'electrician' with 'hifi needs' expert or are simply misrepresenting my posts.

An example for you: a friend has had a multi-cable system not dissimilar to mine but for longer than me; his friend, a keen audiophile electrician owning a company employing others, installed his own radial system based upon advice and inspection of my friend's system. He probably adapted it but the idea and motivation directly emanated from my friend. Of course the installations were kosher as well; hardly DIY !

This is nonsense Sue, there is no such thing as a dedicated hifi ring.

Mike is offering to advise and provide a shopping list, this is lunacy unless he's happy to provide public liability insurance along side.

Correct on the first, of course.:). Maybe I was in error calling it a 'shopping list', as I can see that this might give an implication of a DIY approach, though there's nothing illegal in routing your own cables if feasible, which can save time and money, of course. Connection is another matter. Depending on the circuit one wants, having an idea of the material required would, i.m.o., be an asset. partly to ascertain approx. costs of parts (and make an informed choice) to better ascertain overall costs and esp. if wanting to do any donkey work oneself.

One aspect of having this supply is where to put it. Are you likely to move your hifi, or even drastically increase/decrease it in the future? Once a radial system is installed, very difficult and ill-advised to move ( as I've found). All this preparatory work is nothing to do with a sparks, unless he's an audiophile friend himself. I could go on, but that's me out folks; far too time-consuming to argue the toss when there's little to argue about, to my mind.

This is nonsense Sue, there is no such thing as a dedicated hifi ring. There are ring circuits there are radial circuits and there are spurs. Don't attempt to mystify it because there's an amplifier or cd player hanging off the end.

Lunacy? really?

advertisement

Back