advertisement

Dutch & Dutch 8c’s

The stands are remarkably stable. Just need to get used to the aesthetics as the 8c's are slightly bigger in all dimensions than my passive speakers.

The stands are remarkably stable. Just need to get used to the aesthetics as the 8c's are slightly bigger in all dimensions than my passive speakers.

I may be mixing you up with another poster but did you move from Naim 300 SL2s?

If so I'd be interested in hearing what you have gained / lost etc. (apart from space!)

.sjb

Initial thoughts, @Cereal Killer ?

Just familiarizing myself with the room correction and target curves etc via REW and Lanspeaker.
But after a few attempts I have them dialled-in. They have an uncanny way of offering huge amounts detail in a laid back manor; very easy on the ear yet ultra detailed. The bass depth, speed and accuracy is phenomenal.
I've created a flat house curve called 'studio' from 20hz - 0db to 20000hz - 0db. The corrected target curve found 9 corrections on each channel, which certainly helps remove the room. I then added 4db to Treble, Bass, Sub in the grouped setting in lanspeaker to both 8c's..... this seems to fit our musical tastes and flavours perfectly.

I am now of the opinion that 'Cereal Killer' is a paid shill for hire by the high end hifi community;)

Bigs something up for a few weeks, then ditches it for the next in line;)

Hope it all works out

That would be my pleasure, but unfortunately not the case :D.

I just do what life requires me too, and as there’s changes coming, I’ve preempted where I need to be.

A Horizontally flat target can sound a bit thin, you might try a gently downward ski slope, with a bit more bass and a little less treble.
Do you have the REW plots to share?
Keith

Just familiarizing myself with the room correction and target curves etc via REW and Lanspeaker.
But after a few attempts I have them dialled-in. They have an uncanny way of offering huge amounts detail in a laid back manor; very easy on the ear yet ultra detailed. The bass depth, speed and accuracy is phenomenal.
I've created a flat house curve called 'studio' from 20hz - 0db to 20000hz - 0db. The corrected target curve found 9 corrections on each channel, which certainly helps remove the room. I then added 4db to Treble, Bass, Sub in the grouped setting in lanspeaker to both 8c's..... this seems to fit our musical tastes and flavours perfectly.

I ended up with, I think, 5 filters on each channel. The bass was the issue in my room - I had a node at 38htz that needed sorting, but the eq assessment found a few less significant others.

Ironically the eq is sorted by the MiniDSP SHD. This has told me several things, but the 8c works for me. It won't be for everyone, but I've said numerous times that's why there is so much choice - especially at this budget.

A Horizontally flat target can sound a bit thin, you might try a gently downward ski slope, with a bit more bass and a little less treble.
Do you have the REW plots to share?
Keith

That's how we originally set the target curve; 20hz 0db > 20000hz -10db, this didn't gel at first. Then tried lifting the curves in Lanspeaker, which prompted us to try the 'Harmon Curve' which then lead me to the conclusion we have how.
We've just spend the day listening between teams meetings and are very pleased with the results across the board.
I'm not totally sure how to DL the graphs yet!! maybe just a screen shot would suffice...

It won't be for everyone, but I've said numerous times that's why there is so much choice

I'm very surprised if most can't get these to work to their flavour in almost any room, the options for setting them up is almost infinite.
Plus using something like the MiniDSP which has roon bridge plugin installed, and multiple streaming options such as Volumio, DLNA, internet radios etc, creates the perfect digital in/out hub to complement the 8c's.

When we move, I'll be putting all the computer gubbins in a dedicated server cupboard away from the main room as the apartments as Ethernet in every room.

@Purité Audio Keith, do you think the Weiss DSP501 (which you still sell IIRC?) has anything more or better to offer over the MiniDSP Studio?

Last edited:
Given the OPs room of 4x6 and the fact that obs put out a lot of bass
Don’t really know what you mean. They put out the amount of bass that the source material calls for. I find them effortlessly musical. As for being ‘murdered’ by the 8c’s, I didn’t realise it was a competition.......

Don’t really know what you mean. They put out the amount of bass that the source material calls for. I find them effortlessly musical.

All I can report is that in my room, replacing SBLs with Arcs resulted in a ton of lower frequency information that had previously been completely absent, and that replacing the Arcs with Obs resulted in even more. I also found them effortlessly musical.

I'm very surprised if most can't get these to work to their flavour in almost any room, the options for setting them up is almost infinite.
Plus using something like the MiniDSP which has roon bridge plugin installed, and multiple streaming options such as Volumio, DLNA, internet radios etc, creates the perfect digital in/out hub to complement the 8c's.

When we move, I'll be putting all the computer gubbins in a dedicated server cupboard away from the main room as the apartments as Ethernet in every room.

@Purité Audio Keith, do you think the Weiss DSP501 (which you still sell IIRC?) has anything more or better to offer over the MiniDSP Studio?
Only a smart case, I wouldn’t have thought you needed either, but then i don’t believe Dirac offers anything over the 8Cs inbuilt peq and tone controls.
You might just remeasure with REW to check your filter additions.
Keith

I don’t use the MiniDSM for anything other than volume and input selection!. I do all the room correction within REW and the 8C’s.

Keith, I use optical out from the TV and roon over Ethernet, so require a digital I/O preamp. The bonus of the MiniDSP is that it comes with a roon bridge plug-in.

advertisement

Back