advertisement

How loud do you normally listen?

I've just downloaded the app. My friend, Lord Boots is in the listening seat- cats+ classical music= lost seat!

Anyway, I'm about 1.5 metres away from the R/H 'Speaker and Moszkowski is registering 73-77 on the dial... :)

This was an interesting experiment. Measured just over 72db at the very loudest I play (most high 60’s). I assumed would be higher so feeling better about my hearing ...

AudioTool on my Redmi Android measure 55-60dB A weighted from the sofa. Verified with a handheld SPL meter.

Having lived all my adult life in flats with poor noise insulation I'm very conscious of the impact noisy neighbours can have on quality of life - I find it unbearable - so much as I'd like to crank it up that's about as loud as it ever goes.

P.S. 95dB seems incredibly loud for home listening!

Continuous 95dB would be bad news for any length of time. I had a forklift with an alarm that measured 96dB and it was almost painful after a while, you certainly couldn't ignore it as was intended but it had to have a rag inserted.

Little computer and fridge hum here and we're hovering around 16.

If you want to recreate live i think Leftfield got to about 135dB at the academy on the Leftism tour (?).

Apparently some damage to the building.

If you want to recreate live i think Leftfield got to about 135dB at the academy on the Leftism tour (?).

Jeez! Lots of bass I'm guessing. I was warned about loud bass-heavy music. It's not painful in the way higher frequencies are but the sound pressure is there and that's what damages your ears. In some ways more dangerous as you don't have the pain to warn you it's too loud.

Got a bit carried away listening to some Richie Hawtin ( it is Friday after all), and after turning down to normal levels peak is at 78, normal listening is somewhere in the low to mid 70s from the listening chair

I think they were barred from the venue for some years after that, as they caused some ceiling plaster to become dislodged. We saw them at The Forum when they were touring Alternative Light Source a few years ago, and it was incredibly loud. If we'd not come prepared (by bringing earplugs, as we do to every gig nowadays) we'd have left. I've never felt my nostrils buzzing with bass notes before, and I've seen Motorhead!

Mick

Downloaded SoundMeter X earlier and got about 70 dB peaking at about 88. Typical listening levels for me. It was bit of an education, 70 dB is quite a bit louder than I thought.

well I tried an app on my phone says the quiet room with marginal road noise and nothing else other than the pc is about 35 db. I was expecting much less, so what is a quiet room where you are?

Typically around 78 - 80db C weighted, slow response, at the listening seat, just under 3 metres away, on a Realistic sound level meter that I calibrated against a Reference Bruel & Kjaer meter that I had available when I was working. I doubt that these phone apps will be very accurate?

Peaks at 95+ db, fast response, on a good dynamic recording.

Well, this is surprising as I'm always being told it's far too loud, I must be deaf, etc. But this is about as high as I would ever listen to it and it's saying 39 average, 69 max. 2dB quiet room to start.

Listening to Japanese power metal at the moment. The scale on my phone app says 77.4dBA. The scale beside it also says LAF. Does that stand for LOUD AS F..........? Didn't think it was that bad!

well I tried an app on my phone says the quiet room with marginal road noise and nothing else other than the pc is about 35 db. I was expecting much less, so what is a quiet room where you are?

With decibel-x app my music room was 32 dB with no music, it is very quiet in that room, faces a field, so little road noise. (Phone without case at ear height)

I will get around to putting something chunky on the HiFi when I get around to it. I am not convinced of the accuracy of these phone apps, but it is a bit of fun.

Peak or average?

90dB sounds like it is jolly loud. Good for you, some music deserves it.

Just turned the record over and the app was still reading 67dB with no music!!

I've just installed another App and getting just shy of 80dB

probably more like it

advertisement

Back