advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one explanation. The other is that they simply don't bother to understand the problem or question it.
What is the problem?
There is no problem, no solution needed, and therefore nothing to question. Except why anyone would be supporting it, in which case the answer to that particular question is that they want the tories to thrive.

This is pretty bonkers and, if confirmed, very much the final nail in the BBC coffin. Jesus.

Evidence emerging that highly placed members of the UK govt coordinated attacks on Keir Starmer & the Labour Party in the autumn on 2020 with members of senior BBC management & senior BBC journalists as criticism of PPE corruption & COVID deaths mounted.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1392875339064426502

This is pretty bonkers and, if confirmed, very much the final nail in the BBC coffin. Jesus.

Evidence emerging that highly placed members of the UK govt coordinated attacks on Keir Starmer & the Labour Party in the autumn on 2020 with members of senior BBC management & senior BBC journalists as criticism of PPE corruption & COVID deaths mounted.

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1392875339064426502
They will justify the meetings as necessary to ensure clarity around public health communications. And if, in these un-minuted meetings, it was decided that the opposition was undermining the clarity of public health communications, for political purposes...Well, the BBC’s public service remit would leave them little choice but to explain what they were up to...

It’s completely consistent with the BBC’s historical behaviour, from its inception. It rallies to the government in times of crisis and doesn’t really see any need to apologise for it (2019 election was also a crisis). It’s really, really hard for a state broadcaster to distance itself from the state, when it counts, and the BBC had never even tried.

Reactions: mhv
In my view if citizens have to prove their identity with an ID card to vote, then contributors to think tanks and other vote "influencers" should need to prove their identity before donations can be accepted.
All part of the transparency of the political process. Somehow I don't think Tories will like that though.

Publish how much tax people pay like they do in Sweden.

ID cards again for the snowflakes to whine on about...

There is no problem at all carrying an ID card, we need a national ID card. I carried one for 12 years between 1975-1987, somehow I survived this terrible ordeal and assault on democracy. :rolleyes:

Or to summarise, an anti-Tory Labor voter uses a far-right weaponised term to belittle what he sees as whinging lefties.

Glad that's cleared up.

Labour has suspended Unite's assistant general secretary from the party after he tweeted that Home Secretary Priti Patel "should be deported". “She can go along with anyone else who supports institutional racism. She is disgusting.” Let's hope that influences the GS elections ;)

Very stupid language indeed. Had he used the phrase ‘sacking for institutional racism’ he could made the point equally powerfully, but lashing out at a British Asian with the word ‘deported’ really is as gammon as it gets. Starmer was right to suspend him, there was no other option here.

Very stupid language indeed. Had he used the phrase ‘sacking for institutional racism’ he could made the point equally powerfully, but lashing out at a British Asian with the word ‘deported’ really is as gammon as it gets. Starmer was right to suspend him, there was no other option here.
I’d be more impressed with Labour if as well as acting against Beckett, they condemned the deportation with equal speed and vigour

Did Labour condemn the "dawn raids" on Eid or was it only Sturgeon?

Labour has suspended Unite's assistant general secretary from the party after he tweeted that Home Secretary Priti Patel "should be deported". “She can go along with anyone else who supports institutional racism. She is disgusting.” Let's hope that influences the GS elections ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57109007
Full text of Beckett's tweet is: Priti Patel should be deported, not refugees. She can go along with anyone else who supports institutional racism. She is disgusting.

Clumsy language - I think anyone on the left should avoid statements of the form, "Dark-skinned person X should be deported". But the context makes it clear that this is about institutional racism, not the colour of Patel's skin. Therefore, anyone arguing that Beckett is a racist, on this basis, has an agenda, and should not be taken seriously. In any event, Beckett quickly deleted the tweet and apologised, so the suspension is an overreaction.

Also, it's hard to give too much of a damn about a woman who has overseen the deportation of many people to their deaths. Patel is a disgusting human being with blood on her hands.

As you suggest this story is best viewed as another episode in Labour's factional wars. I've seen Labour councillors say worse things about Diane Abbott, with zero consequences. But because Beckett is from the left, he is targeted with laser-guided precision as soon as he puts a foot wrong. One Labour source said the quiet part out loud:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1392970115642183681

In other words, the suspension is a nakedly factional manoeuvre. I guess it deprives Beckett of his vote on the NEC, for as long as he's suspended.

It's worth thinking about that Labour source's comment in the context of the EHRC report into Labour. The central recommendation of that report was that the party's disciplinary process should be independent and free from political interference. The suspension of Beckett is about as clear an example as you could wish for of disciplinary action being taken for political reasons.

Full text of Beckett's tweet is: Priti Patel should be deported, not refugees. She can go along with anyone else who supports institutional racism. She is disgusting.

It needs to taken in context - he doesn't mean it literally of course. I would have thought that Starmer's barristers training might have taught him that much at least.

It does, which is the real reason behind the suspension. As you say, far worse has been said about Abbott without comment or condemnation from the right
As I thought.

It's also about who becomes the next General Secretary of Unite. Check out all the usual Labour right suspects tweeting "Unite deserves better" today.

Scum using racism as a political football for their own factional agenda.

To send the Home Office in on a dawn raid during Eid is a deliberately, some might say racist action. As the asylum seekers in question have, AIUI, been returned to the community some might say it was also unnecessary.

The fact that a local community bucked the trend for scapegoating immigrant communities and supported the asylum seekers should be celebrated by Labour, not condemned as it goes after the Tory racist vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back