advertisement

Oracle Turntables

I realised one dream from my youth and bought one nice Delphi MKII. Absolut beauty:

IMG-20210507-233850.jpg

PS and motor are broken, but i will upgrade for Maxon 226774 RE MAX (the same as Linn Radikal). New tonarmbase will be made from aluminium (existing acryl tonarmbase is for Ittok)
But what about tonearm ? Sme 309 ? SAEC 308 or 407 ? Jelco TK-850s ?
Any suggestions ?

I had the original mk1 with Grace arm/AC motor in 81' and traded in for the LP12 and then bought a used MK2 in 98' for a second system. It's easy to set-up vs the black magic mystic of LP12.

''I still use the Sota with a Alphason HR100s arm''
Is Alphason still around ? Great arm!!
For TLS, do you use the optional heavy counterweight ?

I bought one for the Mission Mechanic on it, an expensive 350 mile round trip, but worthwhile. Later sold the deck to another forum dweller in France so a well travelled deck.

Its well known I prefer an idler deck, but I could live with Delphi. Just played music.

Lovely looking TTs. Back in the day many were sold with SME 309 arms with Oracle branding next to SME. A good visual match as well as sounding good I imagine. I wonder what they do now? I still find it hard to believe that there was no money in SME supplying OEM arms.

''I still use the Sota with a Alphason HR100s arm''
Is Alphason still around ? Great arm!!
For TLS, do you use the optional heavy counterweight ?
Medium counterweight. I treat it with great care as Alphason ceased activities many years ago.

''Alphason ceased activities many years ago''
I was hoping to buy a used Pink Triangle/Alphason which were mentioned a few times in this forum. Years ago I had a LP12/Alphason and I still have the Alphason heavy counterweight for > 10gm MC cartridge. One day may be I can utilize it again.

I realised one dream from my youth and bought one nice Delphi MKII. Absolut beauty:

IMG-20210507-233850.jpg

PS and motor are broken, but i will upgrade for Maxon 226774 RE MAX (the same as Linn Radikal). New tonarmbase will be made from aluminium (existing acryl tonarmbase is for Ittok)
But what about tonearm ? Sme 309 ? SAEC 308 or 407 ? Jelco TK-850s ?
Any suggestions ?
A carbon fiber arm would look nice on this vintage but futuristic turntable.................

Hi all,

(First post - I'll make introductions later)

This was the response from Martin at Oracle when I asked about oil:

"
Our only recommendation for the main bearing oil is to use Light Grade Synthetic oil, it doesn’t change properties in time and yes, sowing machine oil works very well, as long as it is synthetic-based.

Cleaning the inside of the main bearing first with alcohol and Q-Tips to make sure to remove any solid deposits that may have accumulated on the inside surfaces of the two bushings that hold the spindle and the spindle itself would be recommended,
"

I use Michell bearing oil in my Mk 1.

Ian

A turntable with an integrated bubble level, genius...and why haven’t all turntable manufacturers followed suit?

Anyone used an alternative to the original Oracle bearing oil that works just as well?

In my experience fiddling with other oils damages the teflon lining in the bearing bushings...
they expand in due time and work more as brakes than a bearing.

I had made new teflon sleeves (longer than originals) to replace and these run with dedicated teflon oil. No play and free spinning forever...

Mario

advertisement

Back