advertisement

Technics 1200g - Any long term users?

I own a 1200 / 1210 / and a 1200G so I think I qualify
Had a super pimped one with a Mike new bearing and ETP platter also a external power supply
Legendry TT

Certainly a lot cheaper than the SL-1000R, that’s a deck I'd love, have to go some to show a clean pair of heels to a 1200G though.

I don’t think the 1000R would actually be audibly much better than the 1200G. Tiny increments of improvement always cost a lot more once at these prices. Would be nice to have one though!

I bought a 1200GR for the office at an office supplies auction, put a stupid bid in and won a BNIB GR, result. I liked it so much I bought the 1200G to go in the main system next to a Gyro.

Have you compared them side by side? I've had a GR for the last couple of years and still cannot believe how good it is. Still wondering about saving up for a G.

There are a few comparisons of the G/GAE and GR on this thread that might be useful to you: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...g-gr-general-questions-thread.766669/page-289

It's a bit of a mega-thread!

I still think my GR can sound a little flat and lifeless, probably too neutral as before I had suspended belt drives that added a little something. So I do miss that for sure, some people would say not as 'musical'. However, I often find with things described as 'musical' that they often only play well with certain genre's, but not all. As I play all types but mainly Jazz, Funk and Electronica on vinyl I think I will stay put. Any thoughts on how to breath a little more life into would be welcome though.

I have tried a cork, acrylic, felt (LP12) and original rubber mat and none make a big difference IMO. Acrylic probably the most difference actually.

I currently use an AT 100E cartridge, the stylus looks fine, I have had it from new and changed the stylus a few times but have no idea of the hours on it, probably about 400. So would be willing to try a new cartridge.

I love the build of the thing though, feels really robust and purposeful.

Have you compared them side by side? I've had a GR for the last couple of years and still cannot believe how good it is. Still wondering about saving up for a G.
Briefly when the G arrived but not in any meaningful "reviewer speak" way. I do flip mats, shells and carts around, lockdown gave me plenty time to mess, G is in lounge, GR is spare room/office over the hallway. I have pics of both rigs on the System Pics threads.

The only weakness of the GR for me personally is the arm lift, just feels a bit cheap and out of place cos the rest of the deck is superbly finished.

If you have a really nice cart on the GR (AT33/20X2L/Cadenza level) it might be worth the large wedge to move up but in all honesty I don't see it as being a value for money upgrade. From memory the soundstage was better, detail/airy kinda stuff. If you have perfect pitch and listen to a lot of acoustic and piano music the G might give you an edge as it has a lot more torque/platter heft and supposed better speed stability.

I'd look to a cart upgrade, mat and maybe even an arm swap - a swap to G would be what, about £2K, that gets you a really nice custom GR you can upgrade in stages.

Fair few Techy deck comparisons online if you googly, opinions are like noses though, seen some reckon the G is a big step up, can't say I'd agree :)

If you have perfect pitch and listen to a lot of acoustic and piano music the G might give you an edge...
Weirdly...yes to both! But I think the clincher (if I'm honest) is that competing with TV, radio streams and my CD collection, I don't listen to vinyl anything like as much.

That said, like most people here, the allure of something better is always there!

I still think my GR can sound a little flat and lifeless, probably too neutral as before I had suspended belt drives that added a little something. So I do miss that for sure, some people would say not as 'musical'. However, I often find with things described as 'musical' that they often only play well with certain genre's, but not all. As I play all types but mainly Jazz, Funk and Electronica on vinyl I think I will stay put. Any thoughts on how to breath a little more life into would be welcome though.

I have tried a cork, acrylic, felt (LP12) and original rubber mat and none make a big difference IMO. Acrylic probably the most difference actually.

I currently use an AT 100E cartridge, the stylus looks fine, I have had it from new and changed the stylus a few times but have no idea of the hours on it, probably about 400. So would be willing to try a new cartridge.

Sounds like a good candidate for moving up the AT food chain. AT 540ML or SH should bring more life and detail IMO.

In my opinion the 1200G is in a league of it's own , Superb build quality , Rock solid performance

Next up was the 1210 fitted with a Mike New bearing and ETP platter I built with a timestep external power supply , fitted with a Origin Live encounter MK3c arm and a sheter 5000 cart

Then the 2 std 1200 / 1210

In my opinion the 1200G is in a league of it's own , Superb build quality , Rock solid performance

Next up was the 1210 fitted with a Mike New bearing and ETP platter I built with a timestep external power supply , fitted with a Origin Live encounter MK3c arm and a sheter 5000 cart

Then the 2 std 1200 / 1210

Was the 1200G better than the modded 1210 ?

Not a long-term user by any means, as I've only had a G for just over a month or so, replacing a Gyrodek.

Something I heard on the radio earlier prompted me to dig out my long lost copy of Focus, Moving Waves. Blimey ! It sounds good. "Never heard it like that before !" ;)

I'm quite pleased (and wallowing in nostalgia, wondering where all the years went).

2.5 years with the G, wouldn't consider any other deck nowadays. I've had a Gyro, LP12, PT Export and finally a PT Anniversary, the 1200 wipes the floor with all of them. You really can't go wrong with one.

I'm a little bit shocked, the same as Tarzan, I don't think anything 'wipes the floor' against an Anni, although I can see someone preferring another tt, which I wouldn't argue with. I'm using a Lenco, replaced a PT Too, they differ in sound, and I like both, but the Lenco (purchased from Ant @ BTE) is so much easier to use. If I was to go for a DD, it would definitely be a Technics G, but I don't think I would be losing much with the GR model.

advertisement

Back