advertisement

Casual vs. Critical

kasperhauser

pfm Member
I'm in the early stages of a search for new speakers, and I'm seeing these terms come up a fair bit in reviews. I think it might help me interpret the reviews if am clear on the distinction.

I know what I *think* they mean, and I suspect most of my listening is of the casual variety. For me, critical means sweet spot, zero distractions, low light, total immersion. I may spend one evening a month this way at most, especially if I've gotten some new music I'm looking forward to. Still, I'm hard pressed to see how it relates to choosing speakers; I think I want to hear the same things no matter how focused or analytical I am at the time. Then again, I'm probably overthinking it, as I am prone to doing.

What's your take on these terms, and how do you see the different listening behaviors impacting speaker choice?

You surely want a system that pulls you into the music, wherever you are in the room and regardless of whether the listener is an audiophile or not...

Composer Aaron Copeland identified 3 types of listening in his book on how to listen to music. The overall tone (instinctively pleasant sound in the space or not), the meaning of the music (emotions elicited etc) and appreciation of the formal structure (following different elements, parts etc).

I find the above useful to remind myself to always listen to the music and not the system, even when auditioning gear.

Whether that's what is meant by 'critical listening" in the context of a hifi review, I have no idea.

Where is the OP? It is quite possible that there is a nearbyish fishie who has spare speakers or would be willing (in a few weeks' time) to spend a while sharing their time, kit etc. at their place.

That apart, beg, borrow or steal, or carefully buy second-hand, and live with any new kit for a while.

It's the nature of the 'experience'. When you sit down in your chair, lights down etc your brain is in a different mode to when there are distractions all around and you will hear different things in the music. Critical is the wrong word but you need to buy based on how you enjoy listening most of the time.

For me, critical listening suggests when you're in 'evaluation mode', you're assessing the performance, listening for the presentation, detail, balance and all the other hi-fi touch points. Whereas 'non-critical' listening is just listening to music to enjoy it. We need to do more of the latter, and a lot less of the former, IMHO. And choose equipment that puts you in the latter mode by default, rather than the former one.

We need to do more of the latter, and a lot less of the former, IMHO. And choose equipment that puts you in the latter mode by default, rather than the former one.

Agreed, but that really needs a relaxed listen, preferably a few listens, over a few hours, preferably more - hence my comments.

It took me a very long time to be able to get away from “critical listening”, which for me is listening for stuff like imaging, soundstage, tonality etc.

Now, all of my listening is “casual”, and can listen all day without fatigue, which is why I daren’t mess with my system. It’s hard to get a HiFi system where you listen to the music, and not the gear, especially at the start of the hobby.

It took me a very long time to be able to get away from “critical listening”, which for me is listening for stuff like imaging, soundstage, tonality etc.

For me, I have always been a casual listener, which is perhaps a blessing given what you've said.
I do regularly wonder how the sytem here "scores" in technical aspects, but it is just that - curiosity, basically. I like it, I change something and live with it a while, mostly, and it either stays because I like it more, or it goes.

For me, I have always been a casual listener, which is perhaps a blessing given what you've said.
I do regularly wonder how the sytem here "scores" in technical aspects, but it is just that - curiosity, basically. I like it, I change something and live with it a while, mostly, and it either stays because I like it more, or it goes.

Happy days then, and a blessing. :)

I went through a stage of constantly testing, constantly changing stuff, then realised it was all a bit silly, because I didn’t get into HiFi to analyse the sibilance on Joni Mitchell’s “Blue”, I got into it to enjoy the music.

These are terms that indicate the reviewer knows little about loudspeakers.

Surely no one buys speakers based on reviews, or worse, forum recommendation?

Get out there and listen to some.

It's the nature of the 'experience'. When you sit down in your chair, lights down etc your brain is in a different mode to when there are distractions all around and you will hear different things in the music. Critical is the wrong word but you need to buy based on how you enjoy listening most of the time.
I agree.

Casual listening- background music

Focused listening- music gets undivided attention

Critical listening - assessing equipment or system sound / performance

I enjoy both casual and critical.I think being audiophiles,because let's face it thats why we love audio gear and post on Pink Fish Media.
Having a revealing system just makes the music come alive more and gives you more of the performance of the musicians and the mix.
I love kicking back in the listening chair with a candel burning and a nice glass of red and being taken away by the music.
As long as you have a big love for music thats all that matters and a big record collection to fall back on thats what our hobby..passion is about.

Proof, if needed, why female Audiophiles are rare.

They are usually always busy and almost certainly would (could) not sit down for hours solitary and 'critically' listen to music.

They got it figured out.

I totally agree with Woodface and likely the majority of the world's female population, enjoy music as and when and forget the 'critical' bit unless it's your job and you actually get paid for it.

For me it’s just listening without any other distractions. Non-critical = background, e.g. on whilst reading t’internet, reading a book, cleaning a pile of vinyl or whatever. I don’t need any more categories than that really!

The only critical part of my listening is choosing what to put on. I just listen & enjoy. I often read the paper or do a crossword for some of the time. I don’t need candles or dimmed lights. Why make this more than what it is?

I'm in the early stages of a search for new speakers, and I'm seeing these terms come up a fair bit in reviews. I think it might help me interpret the reviews if am clear on the distinction.

I know what I *think* they mean, and I suspect most of my listening is of the casual variety. For me, critical means sweet spot, zero distractions, low light, total immersion. I may spend one evening a month this way at most, especially if I've gotten some new music I'm looking forward to. Still, I'm hard pressed to see how it relates to choosing speakers; I think I want to hear the same things no matter how focused or analytical I am at the time. Then again, I'm probably overthinking it, as I am prone to doing.

What's your take on these terms, and how do you see the different listening behaviors impacting speaker choice?
There are more makes of speakers than any other hi-fi components.

If you like what you have (which is?) and you want to change (why?) the first step would be more expensive of the same brand.

Beyond that read reviews and audition what you think might suit and take for as long as you can stand.

I guess 'Critical ' listening for when setting up speakers or trying to evaluate another component.
Once that's done then it's just listening.

Reactions: RoA
Casual listening- background music

Focused listening- music gets undivided attention

Critical listening - assessing equipment or system sound / performance
I broadly agree with these distinctions. It rather implies 3 different approaches to listening, consequently 3 different states of mind.

This, to my mind, is a potential problem if one uses one type of listening to evaluate a product which is intended to be used for a different type of listening.

advertisement

Back