advertisement

Downloading Logitech Media Server to a Macbook Pro

Robn

pfm Member
Thanks to reading about it here I bought a Squeezebox Touch which over many years has been a brilliant source. I have used it with a Windows 10 laptop loaded with about 1TB of music and it has usually been controlled by IPeng on my phone over the past few years.

The laptop is on its last legs regularly blue screening and physically falling apart. A while ago I bought a refurbished 2012 Macbook Pro, primarilly as I wanted to learn Logic Pro, this has the latest Catalina OS installed.

I'd now like to transfer my music collection to it and set it up with my SBT using Logitech Media Server. So I tried to download LMS but it seems that this is blocked. As even more of a novice with the Macbook Pro tham I am with a Windows laptop I'm wondering whether it feasible or whether I should save up to buy a NAS (which I might also find difficult to set up!).

Do you mean you cannot download or cannot run/open once the download completes?

Might be downloads folder location or the open apps from unidentified developers needs tweaked.

Don’t think a NAS is a get out, despite the sales and marketing you do need a bit of IT nouse to get the best use from one. Saying that you’ll get lots of help on here if you decide to buy one, suggest QNAP or Synology as the makes to look at.

When you say blocked do you mean you can't download it, or have done but can't open it?

Download link is https://mysqueezebox.com/download and to open it you may need to go to the Applications folder (using The Finder app), right click on it and select Open. Then if a dialog asks for permission say yes.

Thanks guys, reading the message says it cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. So I'll follow the advice to go to the Applications folder.

Was in Downloads and now installed which is a great start. Now going to think about how best to organise & import all those lovely music files!

Good stuff. Sorry, I hadn't mentioned you would need to move it to your Applications folder first.

As for your files an external disk is handy, but if the laptop is likely to be moved around perhaps not. If you haven't got an external then to copy them from the PC to the Mac you can use file sharing, but I'm not good on the Windows side of that.

Good stuff. Sorry, I hadn't mentioned you would need to move it to your Applications folder first.

As for your files an external disk is handy, but if the laptop is likely to be moved around perhaps not. If you haven't got an external then to copy them from the PC to the Mac you can use file sharing, but I'm not good on the Windows side of that.

Thanks, almost all of them are backed up on an external disk so initially will use that but would be good to learn the sharing side of things over the network at some point.

Just for info and for anyone else who has a failing Windows Machine its possible to make a copy of the internal Windows installation apps, data and all onto an external HDD or SSD and then use this to boot either a generic PC or an Apple Intel machine and work as before.

Also you can make a copy of a Mac installation to an external USB HDD or SSD using Super Duper or CCC and boot this on a suitable Apple Intel machine.

First run of Windows in an Apple machine will often result in the WiFi not working. This can be fixed by connecting via an Ethernet cable to your BB router and running Windows update which brings down and installs the drivers. For a Mac without an Ethernet port I use a USB to Ethernet adapter. You'll also find that although Windows will run it will not be activated. Your old license key may still work but if not its around a fiver for a new one from t'web.

Cheers,

DV

Just for info and for anyone else who has a failing Windows Machine its possible to make a copy of the internal Windows installation apps, data and all onto an external HDD or SSD and then use this to boot either a generic PC or an Apple Intel machine and work as before.

Also you can make a copy of a Mac installation to an external USB HDD or SSD using Super Duper or CCC and boot this on a suitable Apple Intel machine.

First run of Windows in an Apple machine will often result in the WiFi not working. This can be fixed by connecting via an Ethernet cable to your BB router and running Windows update which brings down and installs the drivers. For a Mac without an Ethernet port I use a USB to Ethernet adapter. You'll also find that although Windows will run it will not be activated. Your old license key may still work but if not its around a fiver for a new one from t'web.

Cheers,

DV
Thanks for that, always good to have options!

advertisement

Back