advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never used to look at the alcohol % before buying. I do now.
Didn't believe 13.5% or 15% made much difference. It does.
Not that Old World winemakers are too bothered about the accuracy of the number they stick on the label. Weren't there rumours some wines were more like 16% in hot years like 2015 ?

We are currently having to pay the higher rate of duty (as for fortified wines) on one of our Chateauneuf du Papes.

Never used to look at the alcohol % before buying. I do now.
Didn't believe 13.5% or 15% made much difference. It does.
I don’t make a point of looking before buying, and usually can’t say I notice a difference in effect - but I definitely remember the Bouza slowing me down a little previously. And it has again this morning. I’d be interested to know what the alcohol content really is, although I’m not about to invest in a hydrometer (despite the slight wooziness my memory tells me that’s what I would use.)

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I don't think that is likely to have been the motivation for our people, especially as it would have made the wine more expensive here in the UK. Grenache runs high anyway.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I don't think that is likely to have been the motivation for our people, especially as it would have made the wine more expensive here in the UK. Grenache runs high anyway.

Surprised they didn't label it at 15% rather than 15.5%. Does it actually get tested by Excise in the UK ?
No big deal for smaller quantities perhaps: adds £1 per bottle to the cost ?

It's actually the first time I've known it to happen. I've had table wine labelled at 16 degrees in the past that has been charged at the lower rate.

My business partner is beginning to irritate me. He's French. Every time we open a bottle, after the first sip he sucks air into his mouth and swills the wine around. Then he drinks the bottle normally with me, ie doesn't suck air into his mouth etc.

What is the point in all that pantomime, please? Either it helps you enjoy the wine and you would therefore drink the bottle like that. Or it does not help you enjoy the wine and you would stop doing it. I've tried it a few times and it always makes the wine taste like shit, turning a velvety smooth drink into battery acid.

Even this girl, who is pretty down to earth, quite funny, and seems a bit pissed on the video, does it:

My business partner is beginning to irritate me. He's French. Every time we open a bottle, after the first sip he sucks air into his mouth and swills the wine around. Then he drinks the bottle normally with me, ie doesn't suck air into his mouth etc.

What is the point in all that pantomime, please? Either it helps you enjoy the wine and you would therefore drink the bottle like that. Or it does not help you enjoy the wine and you would stop doing it. I've tried it a few times and it always makes the wine taste like shit, turning a velvety smooth drink into battery acid.
I suspect he’s doing it to annoy you. He probably wants to break up the business relationship and hopes that by provoking you into doing it instead he will be able to gain some kind of financial recompense.

I suggest you call his bluff and ask him why he does it.

My business partner is beginning to irritate me. He's French.
A good point, well made.
Would you feel better if he swirled all his swigs? If so, urge him to embrace your form of cohérence totale.

You're English, the obvious thing to do is fart, loudly and wetly, whenever he does it.

Reactions: PsB
Domaine Gayda 'Chemin de Moscou' 2017, Pays d'Oc (from Majestic, currently on a good offer.)

It's a serious grown-ups' wine, complex and dry, a delicious taste of rusty nail and the sea à la Manzanilla. This is very dangerously moreish, good with food and good without, good tout court. It is also magic: when I drank the first sip, the sun came out, both in the world outside and my inner soul (not that I have a soul, but the wine made me forget that.) I shall be buying some more. Thanks @Dogberry for letting me know about it.

I must say I'm enjoying French comedy drama "Call my Agent" so far we've had Binoche,Adjani and Bellucci.
Glad you're enjoying the wine and it wasn't straight to the pot.

You're English, the obvious thing to do is fart, loudly and wetly, whenever he does it.
I'd like to think that would work, but unfortunately he blows off all the time with no discretion. He doesn't embrace the experience properly, though, like he does his wine tasting. He needs to laugh and look round the room for approval when he does a good one.

retronasal olfaction.
That's all I'm saying
But if you just leave it there a second or two and swallow, you get enough of that. No need for the acrobatics.

By making loud slurping noises and sloshing it round the gob means too much gets under the tongue and that's when it starts tasting nasty. It's also bad table manners. A bit like farting or burping or eating with your mouth open.

I suspect he’s doing it to annoy you. He probably wants to break up the business relationship and hopes that by provoking you into doing it instead he will be able to gain some kind of financial recompense.

I suggest you call his bluff and ask him why he does it.
I did ask, but he does like to talk with the air of an expert about him. I just roll eyes and blank him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back