Elecktroids - Elecktroworld

Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit

TLC - CrazySexyCool

Various - Jazz at the Pawnshop

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

Mop Mop - Lunar Love

The Dictators - Go Girl Crazy

Geils - Monkey Island

Gentle Spirit is a truly fantastic album, probably my favourite of the last ten years. The follow-up, Fanfare, ran it very close. JW's two most recent efforts, though, didn't hit the same heights for me.

For ‘one-off’ I think I’d go with LC by Durutti Column. Easily his peak IMHO and one of those albums that is so unique anyone attempting to copy it would, rightly, be accused of plagiarism. To my mind that is the defining ‘thing’ that separates true innovation from evolution, the former is simply impossible to copy without ripping off. Obviously at times that doesn’t stop people, e.g. Jimi Hendrix invented a whole genre of copyists who universally failed to rise up to his standard and still fail to this day.

In other genres I’d pick Mingus Black Saint And The Sinner Lady, Coltrane’s Interstellar Space, and Stockhausen’s Hymnen.

LC is a great 'pastoral' album. Almost worth a separate thread - all-time great 'pastoral' albums

I’ve done a bit of research on Discogs and elsewhere are at least two distinctly different 12” mixes, one at about 6:35, and a much longer one at about 10:30 which goes into a long instrumental part after the ‘drum machine & metal bashing’ bit. I’ve just ordered a Japanese copy as that is definitely the long mix. I certainly remember it from clubs back in the day, I’ve just never found one in the wild. The only thing I’m unclear about is whether the 10 minute plus mix is the same as the extended version on the album CD (which is totally different to the original vinyl, as is Dream Within A Dream and some other tracks). ZTT were certainly an interesting label even if I don’t entirely believe their account of the FGTH story which conflicts with what I’ve heard more directly through the grapevine and the evidence of demos, sessions etc. Paul Morley could always spin a good yarn…

PS Here’s the really long mix:

Hi Tony,

Yep I have two 12" singles of Dr. Mabuse as I recalled. Both in exactly the same covers, B-sides are the same, but A-sides are different.

Runoff on one has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-3U-1-1, this is about 6 minutes 27 seconds long
Runoff on the other has engraving of 12 ZTAS 2 A-2U-1-1, this is about 10 minutes 5 seconds long

Photos below:

drmb12-4.jpg

drmb12-3.jpg

drmb12-2.jpg

drmb12-1.jpg

That’s interesting. My Japanese copy turned up, and that claims to be 10:14 according to the obi/insert. Sounds great, I’m just not sure if it is any different to the long CD mix, I’ll have to compare at some stage. It’s certainly got all the bits I remember from hearing it drunk in clubs back in the ‘80s (first bit, drum machine solo/metal-bashing, bit in German, extended instrumental bit).

I've just had a riffle in the racks, and come across a promo 12 of Dr Mabuse titled Special Instrumental Mix 12 ZTAS 2 - it's going on the deck now.

That’s interesting. My Japanese copy turned up, and that claims to be 10:14 according to the obi/insert. Sounds great, I’m just not sure if it is any different to the long CD mix, I’ll have to compare at some stage. It’s certainly got all the bits I remember from hearing it drunk in clubs back in the ‘80s (first bit, drum machine solo/metal-bashing, bit in German, extended instrumental bit).

Mine may be 10:14 as I only timed it via the stopwatch and there maybe more fade out as I wasn't allowed to play it loud .... as according to my partner's kids music from olden times is lame ;)

advertisement

Back