advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all need to ensure the rose tinted spectacles are cast aside and the serious questions properly addressed.

Yes, need to approach any independence with a well thought out strategy.

The UK as a whole needs to work towards some common objectives and we need to ensure the baby isn't thrown out with the bath water over certain issues.

The trouble here is that the Tory party are only interested in their own pockets and London and the home counties, the rest is just throwing pennies to the plebs. So essentially there's no real 'we're in this together' thing, those on the outskirts and north of the Watford gap will always be second place at the Tory feeding trough.

Today's Telegraph:

Boris risks furious English backlash by throwing more money at Scotland
Most English voters couldn’t give a stuff if Scotland choses to leave the union - and a sizeable minority would positively welcome it.
If I was in England, I’d be writing to my MP to stop it. Time to cut Scotland loose and spend the money on the NHS instead.

Need to get the Taxpayers Alliance on this.. them, or any other similar dark money right-funded "think-tank" that has a demonstrable track record of subverting democracy. There are loads of them.

Start with "Dirty jocks stealing your tax-payers money to fund whisky binges and deep-fried mars bars", and work downwards from there

Need to get the Taxpayers Alliance on this.. them, or any other similar dark money right-funded "think-tank" that has a demonstrable track record of subverting democracy. There are loads of them.

Start with "Dirty jocks stealing your tax-payers money to fund whisky binges and deep-fried mars bars", and work downwards from there
It will be fascinating to see the confluence of Legatum/Tax Evaders Alliance/Institute for Economic Affairs/et al founders and the notorious VIP Lane membership.

It'll be bought from the foreign-owned nuclear power companies in England and Wales.
Not Wales. Our reactors are all dead, and our offshore windfarm Gwynt y Mor contributes quite enough thank you. Which we'll be selling you power from come independance.

Not Wales. Our reactors are all dead,

At the moment. Although Hitachi have pulled out of Wylfa B, it's not a dead project yet.

and our offshore windfarm Gwynt y Mor contributes quite enough thank you. Which we'll be selling you power from come independance.

Wales does produce more leccy than it consumes but most of that is from natural gas (62% vs 12% for renewables of which 2/3 is wind), so not as green as you'd perhaps like to think. It'll be a while yet before there's any export of wind energy from an independent Wales (*).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...onal_generation_and_supply_of_electricity.pdf

(*) Mind you, given any independence for Wales is a few years off, there may be time to build the wind farms needed to rebalance that and make your statement true. :)

If there’s no mandate for a referendum and no desire for independence, why should Johnson’s government be spending so much energy in trying to stop something that wont happen? Could it be that they’ve actually seen the election result and understand the trend in polling data?
Then, what is it that makes the voting pattern in Scotland such a pressing concern of one or two fishies who live in a different country. I mean they’re not going to vote because they cant. It reminds me of Brendan Behan’s famous quote-

“ ....like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
Another sign of your dislike of the English...

When you take a similar position toward people who do not live in the UK, or are not from the UK but who have a view on brexit, you can be taken seriously. In the meantime I suggest you go back to the cartoons.

Another sign of your dislike of the English...

When you take a similar position toward people who do not live in the UK, or are not from the UK but who have a view on brexit, you can be taken seriously. In the meantime I suggest you go back to the cartoons.

Did it not occur to you it was a sign of his dislike of you.

Word locally is that it's a goner. Why bother when renewables are cheaper and don't require thousands of years of monitored storage of their waste?

Because if your renewables are majoring on wind power, it's not so easy to guarantee constant supply for the base load and if we're sacking off hydrocarbon-based generation, there's not many other options.

Did it not occur to you it was a sign of his dislike of you.
No. Why would it? I’ve made it very clear I like Scotland and like Scots. Are you suggesting someone doesn’t like me personally and without knowing me on the basis I believe Scotland leaving the UK will be bad for Scotland? I may be wrong but it’s a sincere position.

Do you dislike me as well? If so, how old are you? Just wondering...

Good Morning All,

Since the closure of Longannet I believe Scotland has been dependent on getting sufficient power for a 'black start' via the 3.5GW of interconnectors to England - is that independence?

Regards

Richard

Want to check how much power England gets through interconnectors in an average year?

No. Why would it? I’ve made it very clear I like Scotland and like Scots. Are you suggesting someone doesn’t like me personally and without knowing me on the basis I believe Scotland leaving the UK will be bad for Scotland? I may be wrong but it’s a sincere position.

Do you dislike me as well? If so, how old are you? Just wondering...

I am not suggesting anyone dislikes you personally, but your internet persona can be a pain in the arse, I'm not fond of it myself and I'm 66.

Want to check how much power England gets through interconnectors in an average year?
Just checked: 24.5 Terawatts.hour in 2019 for the UK as a whole. As most of it comes from France and the Netherlands, I assume most of that goes to England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back