advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tramlines in light and dark on the gently rural Essex countryside that was, for a brief moment in time, RAF Chipping Ongar, home to 3000 odd men and the B26 Marauders of the 381st Bombardment Group of the USAAF. The pretty little church at Norton Mandeville was literally a baseball throw from the aircraft dispersals. Hard to imagine now.

3BBoMi.jpg

pojRbC.jpg

ju7B04.jpg
The field was the airbase (or a bit of)? I'd like to be there to have a look and imagine it.
Love the church however, sep the old oak beam over the screen.

Tramlines in light and dark on the gently rural Essex countryside that was, for a brief moment in time, RAF Chipping Ongar, home to 3000 odd men and the B26 Marauders of the 381st Bombardment Group of the USAAF. The pretty little church at Norton Mandeville was literally a baseball throw from the aircraft dispersals. Hard to imagine now.

3BBoMi.jpg

pojRbC.jpg

ju7B04.jpg

Lovely, and evocative.

I'm moved to dig-out my copy of 'Twelve o'clock High' and watch it again soon...

Last edited:

3BBoMi.jpg

pojRbC.jpg

ju7B04.jpg
Nice darkness...

Wonderful stuff, John - as usual.

I'm a huge fan of 'minimalist mono' architectural photography which reminds me I must get back to Berlin when travel is possible.

Thanks so much Richard. There's a couple of minimalist seascapes to follow, it really suited my mood and was good to do a little travelling at last, although within the UK. You're spot on with Berlin, in some respects it's my favourite city for architectural photography that I've visited

Thanks so much Richard. There's a couple of minimalist seascapes to follow, it really suited my mood and was good to do a little travelling at last, although within the UK. You're spot on with Berlin, in some respects it's my favourite city for architectural photography that I've visited

Will look forward the seascapes, John.

I fell in love with Berlin way back in 1988 where I got the chance to travel through to the former East for the day. It remains a fascinating place where - I've found - the more I learn about it, the more I realise I'm only scratching the surface.

The field was the airbase (or a bit of)? I'd like to be there to have a look and imagine it.
Love the church however, sep the old oak beam over the screen.

Lovely, and evocative.

I'm moved to dig-out my copy of 'Tewlve o'clock High' and watch it again soon...

Nice darkness...

Thanks all, I've really enjoyed these comments, because they reflect my own feelings about these old wartime airfields. Many of them have long gone to soulless housing or industrial estates, but quite a few have just quietly melted back into the landscape from which they were so hurriedly, and impressively, honed in 1942/43, leaving distinctive and sometimes quite ghostly traces. Willingale, as it is known locally, is certainly one of the latter, despite its former vast size hidden discreetly away on farmland that is typically both remote and nearby, on slightly raised ground. It also still has traces of the very long pre-war incarnation. The track from Operations up onto the peritracks and thence to the dispersals follows not a dead-straight military form, but the winding course of an ancient lane, and the traces of other former lanes, and long demolished residences, can still be found. The bedding for the vast runways, now long gone, comprised the rubble of bombed East End houses, and in the wood (visible in the first photo) that sits upon the site where it was dumped by convoys of trucks coming up from London, one can still find vestiges of people's lives - fireplace tiles, bakerlite switches, broken decorative details.

Innocuous, but haunted. And so hard to photograph, hence the slightly OTT gratitude.

12 o'clock High, what a great film. The post opening scenes, where one of the key players revisits the crumbling remains of his old airfield, encapsulates perfectly the atmosphere, sometimes still tenuously there even now, of these places. An informative study in human psychology too. I think it's been used to train military and business students.

You've inspired me to go out and seek likewise - since there was long an Admiralty presence in Bath (heck - Nelson had a house on Pierrepont street... and Secret stuff in tunnels at Corsham nearby until who knows how recently...), the countryside near east and north is actually riddled-with WW2 airfields of similar genesis and fate. Colerne is mostly intact,but I can think of at least six others within say a10-ish mile radius - the closest of which (above Swainswick) I only learned of about 6months ago, in comparable state to that you picture - and that is right damn close ..!

Will look forward the seascapes, John.

I fell in love with Berlin way back in 1988 where I got the chance to travel through to the former East for the day. It remains a fascinating place where - I've found - the more I learn about it, the more I realise I'm only scratching the surface.

I spent a week there as sprog architecture student with a camera v shortly after the wall came down; amazing and moving time (and a Minolta X700... 28 & 50mm lenses ) I still have the images somewhere, must dig-out and scan the negs of those pictures. I've also still got, framed on the living-room wall, a poster I bought at the Bauhaus-Archiv, for v few Marks, all of 30yrs ago :)

I went back 20yrs later, with an x100 - I'll look-out some of those,too... also bought a new poster; - but happy with the old one yet!

Berlin is a fabulous city.

Old airfields are such an important piece of history that continues to slowly disappear. I learnt to drive as a very young boy on the runways of Stoney Cross airfield in the New Forest, as did many others. All the runways have now been removed although I believe some became public roads. Scattered around the Forest are old water tanks associated with other airfields or facilities

You've inspired me to go out and seek likewise - since there was long an Admiralty presence in Bath (heck - Nelson had a house on Pierrepont street... and Secret stuff in tunnels at Corsham nearby until who knows how recently...), the countryside near east and north is actually riddled-with WW2 airfields of similar genesis and fate. Colerne is mostly intact,but I can think of at least six others within say a10-ish mile radius - the closest of which (above Swainswick) I only learned of about 6months ago, in comparable state to that you picture - and that is right damn close ..!

There are indeed lots of old airfields in your corner. The Swainswick one is RAF Charmy Down, still has the old watch office, and well worth a visit.

Worth driving down the M5 to the beautiful Blackdown Hills where 3 wartime airfields, Upottery, Culmhead and Dunkeswell are intact. The latter is still in use, and a bit industrial, but the former two are fascinating. Upottery particularly is an amazing time capsule, forgotten and almost complete, set in beautiful countryside. They occasionally land a DC3 that actually transported the famous 'band of brothers' paras from here in June 44 on the old runways.

Old airfields are such an important piece of history that continues to slowly disappear. I learnt to drive as a very young boy on the runways of Stoney Cross airfield in the New Forest, as did many others. All the runways have now been removed although I believe some became public roads. Scattered around the Forest are old water tanks associated with other airfields or facilities

They are actually disappearing very rapidly. I know of several that are being turned into vast housing estates right now.

The 381st BG were moved from Willingale to Stoney Cross after D-day as it was closer to the beachhead.

Many of these airfields offer nothing to the photographer now, and it can be a real struggle to find interesting compositions as they are, by their nature, flat, but I find that there's usually a certain spot. Skies are often, unsurprisingly, key.

I agree about the beauty of the Blackdowns, we have a place there at Bolham Water only a few minutes from Culmhead and Dunkeswell so will have to go and have a look.

Aah sorry just spotted this - thank you, much appreciated.

My regular kit for this type of shot is Nikon - D7200 (crop sensor DSLR), 300mm f/4 PF AF VR lens and 1.4 Tele Converter. This gives an equivalent of 630mm f/5.6 and I can carry it and hand hold easily (just weighed it - 1.8kg). Without the TC - easier / lighter The 300mm lens is super light for its type and sharp. I like it as I almost always walk around with camera and hand hold, and it focusses pretty close too. Of course it's not a zoom but for a lot of what I take, it works well and actually I like prime lenses in any case so am happy to miss a few shots as a trade-off. These pics were all taken with this kit. I also have a 70-300mm AF Nikon which I use less often these days - and it's not compatible with the teleconverter.
Many thanks for your helpful and informative reply. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back