advertisement

Help!- Setting up Michell TecnoArm A-II on Gyro SE

MikeMA

pfm Member
I've just spent a couple of hours assembling my new Gyro SE and TecnoArm.

All has gone reasonably well until I come to try to balance out the TecnoArm and set the tracking force. I've installed an AT-VM95ML on it and I've managed to get the cartridge reasonably well aligned using the supplied protractor, but I'm having difficulty setting the tracking weight. The instructions tell me to zero the bias adjustment, which I've done, and adjust the counterweight assembly until the arm is floating freely with the stylus approximately 1mm above the record surface, then to apply the tracking force using the (calibrated) finger adjuster. The problem is that as soon as I get the arm to float, it immediately and fairly rapidly swings back against the armrest as though bias is still being applied. What am I doing wrong?

I don't do the arm floating bit at all. If you have scales then work out the rough VTF with the stylus cover on (to avoid overloading the suspension by mistake). Then take the cover off and adjust to taste - within the manufacturer parameters of course!

Rega-based, and a lot of Rega arms just don’t get to zero bias - I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. If you’ve got it to the point that it’s bobbing around then VTF is basically zero: just use the VTF dial now, and scales - the markings on the dial won’t give you the exact tracking force being applied.

Yes just been peering at pics. Must be internal so magnet or spring I guess. Anyway answer is, that you just adjust the mech until the damned thing stops leaping about, then do your tracking force (always near the top of the maker suggestions IMO first, so a 95ML prob needs about 2.0/2.1g, and then you need about 2/3rds of that as a rough start point of anti skate. 1.5 might be a good start and anyway, safe for your records. How you get to 1.5, I'll leave to some Michell expert! :)

Are you sure the deck is dead level? This can cause the arm to swing back, although as said further up Rega bias is not the greatest and sometimes cannot be turned off completely. You could try lifting the arm side of the TT until you find a point where the arm will not swing to the rest.

Like Myles, I don't set a Rega type tonearm using the floating method, (i have done but don't like the method) or the calibrated dial, set to zero, I just set using the counterweight as normal, the Michell counterweight is particularly nice to use when setting up and generally add alot less bias.

Thank you all for your helpful comments and advice.

In the end I just did what @myles suggested, and got the old Sure stylus balance out and set it up to track at 2g.

I've had the deck running now for the last hour or so and it's fine. Even though I'm currently using an arguably inferior MM cartridge instead of my usual AT33PTG, I have to say it all sounds very good straight out of the box. I will probably swap the AT33PTG back in later as it does have a more refined presentation especially at the top end, but I have to say the AT VM95ML is surprisingly good, and really excellent value for money, and I could certainly live with it long term. The TT ain't half bad either :). Be interesting to hear how it sounds after it's all been run in a bit. Next thing will probably be an arm upgrade, but that can wait a bit!

advertisement

Back