advertisement

Interconnect length

Linnovice

pfm Member
I’m replanting my listening room and would like to position my phono pre/turntable around seven metres from my system pre amp. Would that be considered too far?

I’m replanting my listening room and would like to position my phono pre/turntable around seven metres from my system pre amp. Would that be considered too far?
I guess that may depend on whether you have any 7m interconnects ;)

Joking aside, I suspect that might be a tad on the long side, unless they’re balanced connections, but you’ll be well advised to take more notice of somebody better equipped than me to comment on that.

No, IME, I found myself in a situation where the only viable room layout was to have the speakers/ amp/ TV and digital along one wall and the TT quite far away across the room, I run the TT into the phonostage as normal and then used a set of 7m interconnects from the phonostage to the amp, no ill effects or degradation of sound quality whatsoever, both phonostage and amp were solid state.
Previously in a different system and different room I had used an EAR 834P connected with a normal length tonearm lead and run long 5m interconnects to to a Croft line level Transvalve (hybrid) integrated amp, no ill effects or degradation of sound quality in this system either.

If you are sending the audio from the cartridge as it comes out of the cartridge 7 metres will be too long but if you are sending the audio at line level it will be OK. You don't need to spend much more than about 15 quid on the cables either so don't let anyone stitch you up. Only think about balancing if you have problems which is very unlikely in a domestic situation. I am a pro audio engineer who mixes live shows [not for 18 months though...] and I use a 10 metre cable between my cartridge to line level pre amp situated under the turntable stand and my amplifier on the other side of the room. The pre amp at the turntable is a Graham Slee and my main pre amp is a Meridian 561. I enjoy listening to music on records.

Computer says - Most RCA audio cables that are built reasonably well with shielding can be run effectively from 100 to 200 feet.

Mind you, it says a lot of other stuff too...

Hi all, thanks for the responses. I intend making up my own interconnects with Van Damme classic cable and Neutrik RCA’s (I’ve already made up most of my own with this anyway). It’s an ‘up n over’ situation where the TT/ phono amp will be on one side of the room and the system preamp on the other.

Incidentally, on another, but similar, matter. My speakers (Aktiv Kabers) will be about 3~5 metres away from the preamp. I’m debating whether I should put the power amps (3 x LK 100’s) between the speakers and run one long interconnect to one and daisy chain the others or, put the power amps near the pre and run long speaker cables (I’m looking at Van Damme 4mm 6 core cable). I’m not sure which is the best option.

For various reasons I cannot put the amps central to the speakers. Would it matter if one set were one metre shorter than the other? ie. right side .75m, left 1.75m.

Same question twice in one day... 3m leads last time though...

Use well screened coax, preferably of low capacitance but this is not so important, and it will be fine with SS phono stages and most valve ones.
Something like Van Damme Classic Tour Grade XKE is perfect for this job. I use it all the time, great quality cable and costs peanuts.

Thanks again for all your advice. This really is a cracking good forum and I personally am very grateful for all the advice over the years. :D

Anything over 1 metre long and you will start to get degradation. Best to keep as short as possible if you want the best possible performance...

I recently moved my power amp to between the speakers connected with 6m long balanced XLR cables and reduced speaker cable to 1.5m per side, down from 6m. Can’t believe how much better it sounds. Speaker cable was Van Damme hifi 6mm2. I reckon the interconnects are a custom version of Van Danne XKE without the silver plating but with extra shielding and heavier gauge conductors. Cost £36 for both 6m cables and they come with nice Neutrik plugs too, a real bargain and you can pick a colour!

https://custom-lynx.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/TESTUDO-Spec-Sheet.pdf

I recently moved my power amp to between the speakers connected with 6m long balanced XLR cables and reduced speaker cable to 1.5m per side, down from 6m. Can’t believe how much better it sounds. Speaker cable was Van Damme hifi 6mm2. I reckon the interconnects are a custom version of Van Danne XKE without the silver plating but with extra shielding and heavier gauge conductors. Cost £36 for both 6m cables and they come with nice Neutrik plugs too, a real bargain and you can pick a colour!

https://custom-lynx.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/TESTUDO-Spec-Sheet.pdf
Blimey, that’s roughly what it’d cost to buy the parts at retail!

advertisement

Back