advertisement

This is how dumb I am.....

still is!
I spent the best part of a week getting crosser (pun later) and crosser with my Tannoys...way too edgy and hard...back and forwards to the listening seat, cleaning ears, moving said seat, head scratching. It was esp annoying because the crossover (see...ha ha) is tough to reach and adjust so I had made a clever diagram with colours and everything, showing which way to turn said knobs to warm things up or cool em down, and was now on full red, hoping for calm and sweet but instead....!!!!***!!??
etc

Finally pull everything out of place to get inside the speakers and JUST as the screwdriver was poised over screw 1

noticed I had printed the diagram backwards...

This morning I was preparing for someone to come over and look at my Sansui AU-717. The only speakers I had to demo it with were my JBL 4312A's that were dismantled for new veneer, paint and some crossover work. But I needed to demo it with something! So I soldered the tweeter leads back to the crossover and connected the other two drivers and terminals via the spade connectors. I bolted the drivers in and did a sanity check with a multimeter, and got 3.5 ohms across the terminals. But these are 8 ohm speakers, and I know you can't do impedance accurately with a multimeter, but it should be more like 5-7 ohms at least! To avoid frying the Sansui (which is designed for 8 ohms minimum) I connected my SMSL SA-50 and only got treble. And the treble was only coming from the woofer and midrange... One of the L-pads acted normal, but the other was doing the opposite of what it should do (clockwise got quieter). WTF?

I took it back apart and compared with photos I had taken with my phone a month ago. In my rush to get it ready I had connected the mid-range leads from the crossover to the input terminals, and vice versa! I got it all apart again, did it correctly this time, and measured 6 ohms. Connecting to the SMSL made real music this time instead of the sound of headphones turned up to max volume.

Anyway, I'm sad to see the Sansui gone, but I'm really glad I didn't blow it up.

Yesterday I connected up my rega p2 to the pre out of my meridian 501 as was too lazy to pull out the 501 and just fumbled around blind at the back, record playing but no sound at first from any input then sparky poping sounds from the speakers, quickly switched off the 501 from the front and it still was making this sound, it even made this sound for a second or two after I pulled the plug on the pre and power amp!

https://www.meridian-audio.info/viewphoto.php?compid=41

That's bad luck indeed..and the chance of it happening is pretty poor normally, too
bc you'd have to have a ta wire without an earth cable..
Which is the case with the Rega..only other I know and have is a Dual.
Mains out and phono being on opposite ends far apart, with an earth connection you'd have noticed for sure.
Rega arms are said to improve a good part by giving them a ta rewire + proper earth wire,
some users also had hum issues with the non-earth-wire versions that were difficult to cure.
Proper earthing a must in my book & a pitty for an arm with otherwise very good potential..

I'm curious though what technically happened in this mishap..
did the mains out turn the cartridge into an ignition-coil..?
And where is the damage to expect most likely in this case ?
Do + and - get connected in the cartridge..and is there a chance of really sparking in the cart..?

Knowing my great skill for mishaps I ever only connect anything with power shut off,
I'm pretty sure I'd have killed my speakers a many times if not..

A record needs to be turning for the sound to come out. Wish I had remembered to check this

Do you cue the arm onto a stationary record? Don't understand this at all as one can clearly see a record revolving; just about the most visually operational source, I'd say.

Do you cue the arm onto a stationary record? Don't understand this at all as one can clearly see a record revolving; just about the most visually operational source, I'd say.
Not usually but was doing stuff with the amps, not looking at the player

I have sent Jez a Exposure preamp with a faulty phono stage, he checked it over and couldn’t find any faults so just charged me his standard rate.
I received a message from him the following morning, he had gone through the messages we passed to each other and saw that I mentioned a Ortofon 2M in the first message, the amp actually had a MC stage rather than a MM stage, the previous owner had listed it as MM and I just assumed it was damaged as the sound was muffled and indistinct so just packed it up without hesitation and sent it off. Duh.

A friend moved home and set his system up, no problems everything was fine. 6 months later he gave it all a clean and discovered both speakers wired to the lhs A&B speaker sockets.

advertisement

Back