advertisement

Infrared heating anyone ? .

No experience with these but IR heaters are very seldom IR heaters, most work by conduction/convection in the same way as domestic radiators aren't radiators either.
They are probably (very) highly directional,especially if ceiling-mounted. I would also bet that they cost a fortune compared to conventional IR lamps.

Those are going to put out a lot of convected energy. They will heat the air and the fabric of the building. Real radiant heaters don't heat the air (very much), however the only true radiant heater is the sun.

Interesting - we have electric ceiling heating in our house in France - 12 zones, each with it's own circuit and thermostat. I'd never come across this before and we have very little info about it. We can't see the panels - they must sit behind the ceiling which I think is thin tongue and groove, and most of the ceiling area gets warm. The first year with it was a bit of a nightmare not least because the original thermostats were almost all broken so it was never under proper control but now we have learnt to live with it it's actually quite good. I think each of our main zones may be about 3kw, judging by the electricity usage. What we find is it does give a nice sort of heat - the comfort level seems better than the room temperature suggests if you see what I mean, and obviously it's upside-down (heat rises yes?) but the radiant effect is quite strong despite the temperature of the ceilings being fairly low ... (must measure that some time...). We also have a big wood burning stove that we use in the winter months - otherwise the heating bills would be high.

The house was built in the mid-80s and today would no doubt have (ground source?) heat pump and under-floor heating instead and possible solar - that is a possible plan for the future but of course would be expensive and difficult to retro-fit. There is no mains gas here. French electricity is relatively low-carbon but not cheap. Anyway we have what we bought, and it is fine for the time being.

they must sit behind the ceiling which I think is thin tongue and groove

T&G aluminium, but not wood - the wood would at least scorch - it is a reasonably good heat insulator.

To stand any chance of being a decent radiator, in terms of % of the total heat generated that was radiated, anything at all would have to be black. It would still be poor in terms of %.

Even industrial radiant heaters, where aesthetics have no part to play, get very, very hot, because so comparatively litlle heat is actually radiated.

I've used thousands, of sq.m of the same; 'radiant panel' heating (hot water) at ceiling level is used a lot in heathcare design - because it avoids having to try to clean HW radiators and all those fins in a clinical environment. And when you have control over other aspects of whole-building service-design choices- esp heat recovery from ventilation- it can work better that one might expect. But I'd never choose it at home, however it is heated - and def not if electrical.

[PS they do work even when just plain RAL 9010 white; despite what you might expect from Boltzmann's constant -simply because the panel temp is so close to ambient that the 4th power thing just don't matter ;) ]

The big 'gotcha' with overhead low-temp radiant panels is having the primary heat source above your head - that is not the most perception-of-comfortable nor efficient way of doing things generally in living spaces. (works in the healthcare context I describe, because it is fundamentally a local top-up, not primary heating... once the fabric has settled into use)

In terms of perception of comfort, underfloor heating is far better - have you thought of just using an electrical heating mat in the floor ? These can be be lost in the c.3mm adhesive bed for a ceramic tile floor, but can work equally-well under 'lino'/vinyl, with wood or even carpet - and provide better bang-for-buck overall comfort, for the same power input.

T&G aluminium, but not wood - the wood would at least scorch - it is a reasonably good heat insulator.

To stand any chance of being a decent radiator, in terms of % of the total heat generated that was radiated, anything at all would have to be black. It would still be poor in terms of %.

Even industrial radiant heaters, where aesthetics have no part to play, get very, very hot, because so comparatively litlle heat is actually radiated.
It's bizarre I know - it does not seem to get hot enough to scorch. We just inherited it when we bought the house (built in the late '80s) - did not show up as an issue on the surveys and I've never rooted around to see exactly what's up there and we have zero documentation for it. I'm sure we'll retire it one day but for now it actually works quite well - we've just spent our third winter here - albeit seems like a different system to the one @early is looking at.

I've used thousands, of sq.m of the same; 'radiant panel' heating (hot water) at ceiling level is used a lot in heathcare design - because it avoids having to try to clean HW radiators and all those fins in a clinical environment. And when you have control over other aspects of whole-building service-design choices- esp heat recovery from ventilation- it can work better that one might expect. But I'd never choose it at home, however it is heated - and def not if electrical.

[PS they do work even when just plain RAL 9010 white; despite what you might expect from Boltzmann's constant -simply because the panel temp is so close to ambient that the 4th power thing just don't matter ;) ]

The big 'gotcha' with overhead low-temp radiant panels is having the primary heat source above your head - that is not the most perception-of-comfortable nor efficient way of doing things generally in living spaces. (works in the healthcare context I describe, because it is fundamentally a local top-up, not primary heating... once the fabric has settled into use)

In terms of perception of comfort, underfloor heating is far better - have you thought of just using an electrical heating mat in the floor ? These can be be lost in the c.3mm adhesive bed for a ceramic tile floor, but can work equally-well under 'lino'/vinyl, with wood or even carpet - and provide better bang-for-buck overall comfort, for the same power input.
Interesting our house was built by a local company whose main business is large timber framed industrial / leisure / agricultural buildings. They had a sideline in houses so maybe this is why they installed our ceiling heating - as they were familiar with it? It's certainly unusual probably for good reason! If I ever take one of the ceilings apart I'll be able to investigate more fully (the bedroom floors above involve concrete so no easy access) A version of the house built locally 15 years later has wet underfloor heating and a ground source heat pump. That would be nice - maybe one day, but obviously expensive to fit to an existing building.

Sorry OP - a distraction from your question probably!

underfloor heating is the way to go, you want the heat to rise from the bottom, anything high up will take an age to warm the lower half of the room where humans exist.In the meantime much of the heat will be lost.

Does anyone have any experience with infrared heating panels ? .

I have no experience with IR ceiling panels but I do use portable IR floor-standing panels in the conservatory and sometimes in the home when a room has only low level background heat. I find it a comfortable way to keep warm without fully heating a room and at around 300-400W it is efficient. But do you want a cool room and local heating for people or do you want to heat the room? If the latter then for efficiency IR panels would need to heat up something within the room since raising the temperature of the structure of the room above room temperature will raise the external heat loss significantly. It is also likely to take some time to raise the room temperature. Ceilings are the worst location for circulating warm air. Electricity is expensive compared to gas. It would appear to have a fair few cons to set against the pros of cheap to purchase and convenient.

We got one for our utility room it sits on the ceiling. It certainly works, but its not something I would want in a space I inhabit, the heat is, um, weird.

Thank you everyone for your input .

Underfloor heating is not an option , it is not really practical for what we have planned .

We got one for our utility room it sits on the ceiling. It certainly works, but its not something I would want in a space I inhabit, the heat is, um, weird.

How would you describe "weird" ? .

Underfloor heating is not an option , it is not really practical for what we have planned .

If you have IR panels in the ceiling pointing at the floor and nothing between then you will be heating the room by warming up the floor. Overfloor heating rather than underfloor heating!

advertisement

Back