advertisement

Audio (TV) furniture

Some very cheap prices, makes me suspicious of the quantity, I would avoid the sheersham and mango wood as it warps a lot, you can see it pulling it’s self apart in some high street stores.

Pete

Reactions: RoA
Interesting. As a layman I simply look at form.

It's likely all Asia sourced like much of today's furniture.

Perhaps people want to add better choices.

I make all my own furniture so I can’t recommend a manufacturer. A local cabinet maker would be worth seeking out for something bespoke and timeless.
And you will be supporting the local community.

Pete

Some very cheap prices, makes me suspicious of the quantity, I would avoid the sheersham and mango wood as it warps a lot, you can see it pulling it’s self apart in some high street stores.
When first saw mango wood products, I thought them very attractive, it's a nice grain and colour. But it ages very badly, IME. Goes dull and lifeless, bleaches all too easily in the light and, as you say, gets out of shape very easily. I now avoid it, and think it's a fair barometer of the likely quality of the product, alongside the price.

Not everyone can (or wants to) make their own furniture.

In an idea world ... and all that ...

I don't know where you are located but I find in general there's lots of workshops producing quality products at all different price ranges, another alternative is charity shops, 2nd hand shops and 'antique' dealers and auctions.

There is some attractive designs on that website though.

I don't know where you are located but I find in general there's lots of workshops producing quality products at all different price ranges, another alternative is charity shops, 2nd hand shops and 'antique' dealers and auctions.
I'd struggle to know where to start to locate these workshops, though. Do you have any suggestions as to where to look, or the sort of searches to make?

I'd struggle to know where to start to locate these workshops, though. Do you have any suggestions as to where to look, or the sort of searches to make?

Instagram, yep, if you start looking at a single UK furniture maker and click on a few of there hashtags it will bring up a list of people that have used the same tag, this will lead to other makers and if you start to follow them Instagram will give suggestions of others who I assume have a similar online profile.
Or for example if you wanted a nice classic piece of Danish mid century furniture you would just search the appropriate Hashtags, once you search for one, you will find on the search page a list of similar tags.
Plenty of guys in England both selling and making nice stuff.

Even Checkatrade comes up with examples. You have to be a bit careful as it's not always all its cracked up to be, but can often give you a lead.

advertisement

Back