advertisement

Benz Glider vs Nagaoka 200

brab

pfm Member
Anyone heard both of these? Odd comparison I know, but my Glider is reaching the end of its life, and I want to go back to MM, and the Nagaoka seems appropriate on a number of criteria. Arm is a Hadcock 228; EAR834p phono stage. Glider vs any Nagaoka would be helpful. Thanks.

I have the Glider and Nagaoka 300.. the Glider is one of the best MC and should compare to the Nagaoka 500. That said, the Nagaoka 300 is a much forgiving cartridge than the Glider, which is faster and more dynamic.

I’ve had a Glider and an MP500 on the same deck. As good as the MP500 was, and it’s really good, the best MM I’ve had in fact, it was not anything like in the same league as the Glider. This was at a time when you could get an MP500 ex.Japan for £250. At the prices they ask for them now, they make no sense whatsoever to me. I’ve haven’t heard the MP200 though.

I’ve had a Glider and an MP500 on the same deck. As good as the MP500 was, and it’s really good, the best MM I’ve had in fact, it was not anything like in the same league as the Glider.

Thanks. That's good to know. Wasn't expecting that much of a difference.

I have Micro Gold and MP-500, but on different decks - Nag is on Rega P9 and Benz can go on a Sony PS-B80.

It's time I listened to the Benz. Glider seem like it should be much better.

I will report back.

Are Benz Micro cartridges still being made?

What appears to be the most authorative account that I could find, from the MCRU website -

Benz Micro phono cartridges have been in production since the 1980s, earning a reputation throughout the world as one the top brands in the field. Ernst Benz, founder and designer of the original Benz-Micro cartridges, retired in 1994 and sold the cartridge production operation to Albert Lukaschek, his close associate and designer of the Benz-Micro PP-1 phono stage. In 2000, Albert relocated and modernized the factory, employed a highly-skilled workforce, introduced many new models, and expanded OEM cartridge manufacturing.

If you want to go MM then why not one of the more exotic AT profiles, or a left field choice might be a Shure cartridge with Jico SAS stylus - I'm mightily impressed with mine and I've subbed out a Hana SL so there is scope for a critical analysis; still impressed.

If you want to go MM then why not one of the more exotic AT profiles, or a left field choice might be a Shure cartridge with Jico SAS stylus - I'm mightily impressed with mine and I've subbed out a Hana SL so there is scope for a critical analysis; still impressed.

A Shure MM works very well (and sounds good imho) on the Hadcock tonearm (op's tonearm) I have only every used the V15v-mxr with Shure stylus though I'm led to believe the Jico SAS are very good, coincidentally I used both the Shure and a WB Ply (Glider assembly on carbon fibre mount) mounted on a Hadcock into an EAR 834p on a variety of TT's from Rega, STD and NA. It's definitely a pair of tonearm and cartridge combo's that work well.
I current use the Hadcock & Shure combo and a Brinkmann 10.0 and Hana ML combo mounted on a Dais, in terms of musicality and the emotive connection with the music the Hadcock Shure gives little away when compared with the much more expensive combo of the Brinkmann/Hana. Of course the Brinkmann/Hana is better at the 'hifi' stuff, wider & deeper soundstage with more separation and detail and hopefully this will improve as the MC gets a few more hours play and a better MC stage arrives.

Sometime in the future I would like to try a Nag MP500 and having used an AT based MM I wouldn't hesitate in buying an AT MM with a ML stylus.

Thanks all for the informative comments and suggestions.

Re the AT suggestions. A long while back I tried one of the AT150 variants when they were being raved about. It was unbearably shrill and went back - possibly a capacitance mismatch with the EAR and/or cabling.

Back in 2015 I have my Glider retip by Benz and it take more than 6 months turnaround time, and from what I understand the retailers are having a hard time sourcing it these days. And talk about cheap cartridge from Japan, I used to go there every 3 yrs or so and I would pick up some MC cartridges. The Japanese made MC are much cheaper and sales tax are exempted.
My current preferred favorite MC is Phasemation which is more expensive in Toronto. With the lockdown I don't know when I can go to Tokyo, but if I do it will be some "revenge acquisitions".

advertisement

Back