advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
We cannot be certain that covid will be sorted in Europe. Small is beautiful has enabled team Boris to back investment in several horses, including Novavax (Teesside) and Valneva (Scotland). In contrast the EU are not interested in either company and are souring relationships with AZ by threatening a second time with court action.
This is another EU disaster waiting to happen if there is another wave; of course it could be a wise move if covid disappears, but in the overall scheme of things a few red bus loads of cash is neither here nor there.

Your obsession and hope is for EU failure, you seize on the one thing that the UK has done well and totally ignore the complete shambles that led to it and exaggerated the impact we have suffered. Our island status, smaller land mass and tried and tested national health service infrastructure should have given us a considerably reduced impact over the one we have suffered.

You also omitted to mention how you expect to apply the vaccine roll out strategy, (i.e. gamble and over-pay) to world trade generally. That's not to criticise the desperate measures needed for a health crisis, merely to illustrate that it is of limted value as an approach to other matters.

We cannot be certain that covid will be sorted in Europe. Small is beautiful has enabled team Boris to back investment in several horses, including Novavax (Teesside) and Valneva (Scotland). In contrast the EU are not interested in either company and are souring relationships with AZ by threatening a second time with court action.
This is another EU disaster waiting to happen if there is another wave; of course it could be a wise move if covid disappears, but in the overall scheme of things a few red bus loads of cash is neither here nor there.
Nothing to do with small is beautiful. Nothing to do with speed, the EU deal was signed the day before the UK's. Everything to do with the UK contract having more punitive penalty clauses, so the company(s) delivered to the UK first. There's an article covering it, it focusses on the difference between English and Scottish law and the laws of other European countries, and the way they tend to be worded.

I presume Germany must have left the EU or something to have an increase in exports?

2021Q1 vs 2020Q1
Exports from Germany to:
+2% total
+5% EU
+1% USA
+22% China
-18% UK

UK exports to Germany are down 28% in Q1 2021. I guess that is because we are exporting so much elsewhere that we have nothing left to export? o_O I think that must be it.

LOL. Good job that doesn't happen at national level eh?

Except it does of course and we have just the team to profit from that. A large amount of the little agile and innovative companies you are so concerned with have just been shafted by the UK PM's 'oven ready' deal. Well done you.

Thank you Steve, I'd like to say it's a pleasure, but it's not. And I'm actually not Boris Johnson.

I presume Germany must have left the EU or something to have an increase in exports?

2021Q1 vs 2020Q1
Exports from Germany to:
+2% total
+5% EU
+1% USA
+22% China
-18% UK
I tell you, they’re doooomed!

Or they’re benefiting unfairly from the low Euro.

Or dhfjjdhjsuurnn.

One of those, anyway. Thank God we left.

This topic is kind of irrelevant really as it doesn’t matter what way you voted as we have left. Only time, be it sooner or later, will tell how it turns out. If it is a complete failure what happens then ?

In your rush to pat Boris on the back for his nimble success you seem to have forgotten this pandemic has been split into two parts:The success of the vaccine, and everything else.

Last I checked we have over 128, 000 deaths, no vaccine on your list is bringing any of them back.

Lest we forget etc.

Nothing to do with small is beautiful. Nothing to do with speed, the EU deal was signed the day before the UK's. Everything to do with the UK contract having more punitive penalty clauses, so the company(s) delivered to the UK first. There's an article covering it, it focusses on the difference between English and Scottish law and the laws of other European countries, and the way they tend to be worded.
Did the tanker not dither for a month obtaining agreement of the 27?

Which shows that EU member states have real power over events and EU decisions, like the absolute veto the UK had over ever-closer union, your favourite bugbear.

Oh, come now, there is no such a thing as an 'absolute' veto in the EU. Cameron tried the veto once, and the others just went around him.

That said, the UK's veto on being part of 'ever closer union' (not a veto over ever closer union itself) would simply have cast the UK ever closer to the periphery, and ever more outside the decision-making process. Maybe better just inside the fence than just outside it, as Ivan Rogers exhaustively argued, but then again, maybe best just to chart our own course. Being in the EU but outside of the power base can get expensive when things go pear-shaped, as they have before and will again.

Anyway, what am I talking about. Ever closer union doesn't exist, at least outside of Jean Monnet's fevered imagination. And the Treaty of Rome. And the concept of economic, monetary and political union.

Your usual deflection I see. The typical Tory trick of proclaiming loudly and confidently while making stuff up. Its your go-to tactic.
I think I prefer Ivan Rogers rather more informed and realistic view of the EU. He at least is experienced and knowledgeable, and not a fanatical home-counties Bentley driving wine merchant.

Point out to me the deflection, Colin, or is that just a new word that you're savouring for a while?

The Cameron veto over the arrangements for the Euro (the only veto he used - much to the delight of his braying back-benchers) is hardly an example of how it would be used to veto ECU.
His veto applied to a subject which didn't affect the UK as we never used the Euro. Perfectly understandable that the Euro users would make reach their own agreement.

Your grasping at straws for examples, however in appropriate, is understandable given your extremist view of the EU.

Deflectionism would appear to be rampant in this thread ev :)

Well, you might have a point there but on reflecton it's more likely that
67857f5769909bb2ab129b2e618737d4.gif

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back