advertisement

Phono stage to amp cable length help

taffyboy1

pfm Member
Hi All

Due to a forced room layout change I can't position turntable (LP12) near amplifier, is it possible to site a turntable with an external phono amp about 9 feet away from amplifier without suffering audible interference/degradation?

If so what phono cable recommendations please?

thanks in advance

A friend of mine is in a similar situation although it's not nine feet. I reckon the cable from his phono stage to the amp is maybe six feet? I dare say shorter would be better but it sounds ok to me.

Plenty of interconnects are 2m long, so why not 3m?

As long as the phono stage can be near the TT so the tone arm cable run isn’t longer than usual, I’d expect the phono stage output to cope with a 3m interconnect just as any other device with a line level output (DAC, CD player eg) should.

Tone arm cable / Phono stage with Balanced XLR not problem over large distance , cartridges are essentially a balanced design

Both the Phonostage and amp I was using had RCA sockets, absolutely no audible difference in using a pair of 5m interconnects compared to a 1/2 m pair of the same brand and model.

What SPT said.

Some very finicky tube phono stages may not like long cable runs into lowish impedance amps.

If you have photostage with 1Kohm or less output impedance and your input impedance is 50Kohm, no problem whatsoever. If you worry, use very low capacitance cables, like Blue Jean or similar.

I have a spare 3m RCA Blue Jean set I will be happy to send on.

DON'T try and use 9' long arm cables! The advice above on that is very wrong. Normal short arm cable to phono stage then leads from phono stage can be 9' no problem so long as it is a SS phono stage.

From phonostage output to amplifier, no problem with 9 feet cables, as long as they are well made.

DON'T try and use 9' long arm cables! The advice above on that is very wrong. Normal short arm cable to phono stage then leads from phono stage can be 9' no problem so long as it is a SS phono stage.
Indeed. The only time you should use a 9' tonearm cable, is when you have an 8' tonearm...

I have a 7' long cable from a secondary TT to a preamp with no problem, that said its a high output MM cartridge. I would think that the output from a phono preamp is like any other line stage output and 9' should be OK.

advertisement

Back