advertisement

MM Cartridge for Gyrodec/Tecnoarm

MikeMA

pfm Member
I've just bought another Gyrodec/Tecnoarm combo to have a play with.

Depending on how I get on with the TT I may end up swapping the arm out for something better further down the line, but initially I will be keeping the Tecnoarm which I believe is no slouch, and putting a mid-priced (to me at least!) MM cart on it to get me going.

I'm a great fan of AT carts (I have an AT33PTG MC on another TT) which I think are great vale, and I'm drawn to either the VM95SH or the VM740ML (more expensive) or VM530EN (same price as VM95SH)

I won't get the opportunity to audition any of these carts, but I'm particularly drawn to the VM95SH because of its stylus profile and good reviews from end users (including on pfm) and I like the idea of the threaded fixing holes. Someone please tell me what's not to like and why I should consider the others on my list, or something else from AT, instead? I'm not looking to spend more that £300 at this stage.

My opinion is that it will cost quite a bit, ie double or more the cost of the Gyro to “better” it. Other than that you’ll probably just get different rather than better.
As for carts, if you like the AT’s then why not stick with them. I can’t think of a reason an AT wouldn’t work well with a Gyro. I’ve heard Ortofon carts working really well with a Gyro, such as the 2m Black or a Quintet, although that’s MC. At up to £300, there will be a few different decent options. Enjoy!

I'm quite happy with a 2M Black on my Michell deck (you can google the 2M for reviews on its sound). The beauty of the 2M series is that you can upgrade just the stylus rather than the entire cartridge. So, for example, you could buy the Ortofon 2M Bronze now and later update the stylus to convert it to the 2M black (the cartridge body is the same, as is the one shared by the 2M Blue/Red). Depends on whether you want to maximize the MM experience or dip into affordable MCs. One factor, for me, is allowing for young grandchildren and the cost of replacement if damaged (hence why just a stylus replacement appeals)!

Great TT + tonearm combination, I didn't try an MM cartridges when I owned the same combo, I used a Lyra Argo mainly and briefly tried the WB Ply (Benz Glider on a Carbon fibre mount) both were excellent, I marginally preferred the Ply as the combination of the Gyro/Technoarm/Argo was a little to forward and peppy for my taste.
I don't think you could go wrong with any decent MM whether a Goldring, AT or Nag but I would look for a cartridge that has a bit a midrange warmth, rest assured its a good enough TT and tonearm suitable for MC cartridges priced up to a few times your budget.

An AT MM should work well. I liked the 440mlb on a Gyro with a Nima, having not like it with the same arm on a Thorens. I explained this to myself as the Gyro allowing the AT’s strengths to shine through.

I ran a Goldring 1042 on mine for a while and it was a very nice smooth sound. Then upgraded to a Soundsmith Boheme moving iron which really brought my Gyro to life.

AT VM95s work well but I'd go with the 95ML which is stunning value.
I'd argue that micro line trumps a shibata, and lasts far longer.

AT VM95s work well but I'd go with the 95ML which is stunning value.
I'd argue that micro line trumps a shibata, and lasts far longer.

I've never had both on the same cart but I have had both on different carts. I'd take the ML over the Shibata too. The latter is too fussy and the ML isn't exactly dull sounding.

advertisement

Back