advertisement

Help with deciding if this turntable is the one.

Great engineering. Would be a good base. I used an Emotion though it is more on the clinical side with its presentation. I have recently been using a vintage Thorens courtesy of some Pinkie friends and it does have a warm heart. I think it communicates better.

I find the Clearaudio stuff a bit clinical, TBH. Want to like it more than I actually do. For not much more money, I’d go for the entry level Vertere. Wacky looking arm, but it really communicates.

Whatever - buy CAREFULLY, used. Even if you hate it, if you have bought wisely, moving things on should leave you breaking even on average.

Enjoy the ride.

Great engineering. Would be a good base. I used an Emotion though it is more on the clinical side with its presentation. I have recently been using a vintage Thorens courtesy of some Pinkie friends and it does have a warm heart. I think it communicates better.
Many thanks. Unlikely that I will go vintage, as getting it serviced is a non runner due to my location. (West of Ireland)

I find the Clearaudio stuff a bit clinical, TBH. Want to like it more than I actually do. For not much more money, I’d go for the entry level Vertere. Wacky looking arm, but it really communicates.
The reason I was thinking of Clearaudio is because there is a dealer in Dublin, so if there are any issues, I can have them addressed. Due to brexit, buying from the UK is sadly not an option. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Whatever - buy CAREFULLY, used. Even if you hate it, if you have bought wisely, moving things on should leave you breaking even on average.

Enjoy the ride.
Buying used is a gamble, particularly when it is a TT IMO. Hence I am still on the fence, but the Clearaudio Performance DC on ebay seems very good value ASSUMING it is problem free. Still unsure. Many thanks.

Buying used is a gamble, particularly when it is a TT IMO.

I have bought very, very little new kit. Have I bought any turkeys (in terms of condition compared to price, rather than I don't like them)? Not that I recall.

TTs - LP12 (over 30 years ago), PT1, maybe 4 years ago, Hyperspace less than a year ago. All absolutely fine.
Have I lost any money on things that I have sold-on? No. Have I saved LOTS of money? Yes - maybe £20k-worth of kit here, new value, cost has been less than £10k.

Just be careful - ask here if unsure yourself. Not neccessarily mentioning something actually for sale, but asking for the common glitches and remedies for particular models.

The reason I was thinking of Clearaudio is because there is a dealer in Dublin that is a Clearaudio dealer in Dublin, so if there are any issues, I can have them addressed. Due to brexit, buying from the UK is sadly not an option. Many thanks.

Pm'd

I have bought very, very little new kit. Have I bought any turkeys (in terms of condition compared to price, rather than I don't like them)? Not that I recall.

TTs - LP12 (over 30 years ago), PT1, maybe 4 years ago, Hyperspace less than a year ago. All absolutely fine.
Have I lost any money on things that I have sold-on? No. Have I saved LOTS of money? Yes - maybe £20k-worth of kit here, new value, cost has been less than £10k.

Just be careful - ask here if unsure yourself. Not neccessarily mentioning something actually for sale, but asking for the common glitches and remedies for particular models.
I live in you world. 90% of the kit I have bought over the years has been used and have saved serious money. Have been well served by this approach, other than the most recent transaction that was eventually sorted, but left a sour taste. A case of once bitten twice shy.
Because I live quite a distance from the closest HiFi shop and home demos are out of the question, I have used the experience of PFM members to assist me and it has been very worthwhile. Many thanks.

What are you upgrading from, and what are you hoping will be 'better'? Dublin has a lot of HiFi dealers, so there's a fair choice I'd guess.
Considering upgrading from a Clearaudio Concept that has served me well. The Performance DC is by all accounts, a step up. The one I provided a link to in my earlier post requires a Cartridge, so a chance to upgrade over the one I use on the concept. However purchasing a new Performance DC is out of my price range. I have been keeping an eye on Cloney's of Dublin pre owned stock, but nothing TT wise at the moment.

Last edited:
Well if you like the Clearaudio sound, then this looks like a good deal.I have little experience of them and none of that deck so can't be of help there.Good luck.

Have you thought about a new Rega P8? Same money but brand new and I imagine there will be a dealer in Dublin.

I'm not saying you'd prefer it to the Clear Audio, it's a personal choice, but it takes away the question mark over used kit. Personally, I prefer to buy used as it means you don't lose too much if you don't like the thing. Most of the people who buy hi-end Hi-Fi are careful with it so odd are it will be fine. Or you could buy used from a dealer, safer bet?

If you fancy Clearaudio, you might also consider a Marantz TT-15S1, which is a Clearudio in all but name?

Well if you like the Clearaudio sound, then this looks like a good deal.I have little experience of them and none of that deck so can't be of help there.Good luck.
I am have not been exposed to many TT but the Clearaudio has been reliable and a good bang for buck purchas. It certainly gave my CDP a run for its money, particular with albums that were recorded in the analogue domain. As for the Clearaudio sound, well to be honest I have not had the opportunity to compare it with other TT. There are a couple of dealers selling Rega TT but I know little about them. Many Thanks.

Have you thought about a new Rega P8? Same money but brand new and I imagine there will be a dealer in Dublin.

I'm not saying you'd prefer it to the Clear Audio, it's a personal choice, but it takes away the question mark over used kit. Personally, I prefer to buy used as it means you don't lose too much if you don't like the thing. Most of the people who buy hi-end Hi-Fi are careful with it so odd are it will be fine. Or you could buy used from a dealer, safer bet?
Yes, used is preferable, however the only dealer in Ireland that sells used gear is Cloney's in Dublin and they have no TT listed right now. Many thanks

I have a clearaudio performance dc, I like mine a lot! The magnetic bearing is super quiet and probably contributes to its overall presentation which I feel is neutral.

I have a clearaudio performance dc, I like mine a lot! The magnetic bearing is super quiet and probably contributes to its overall presentation which I feel is neutral.
The magnetic bearing is a very interesting piece of engineering. I see, like the concept, the performance has its anti skating setting on the underside of the chassis. This is a very curios design decision and not to my liking.

advertisement

Back