advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rachel Reeves as Shadow Chancellor.

So Labour is now to the right of the Tories on the economy.

Looks like the Prince of Darkness is back in control.

Looks like a pretty minor reshuffle. He didn't sack all the Northerners, after all. Did he chicken out or was there pushback?

70-year-old Chief Whip sacked and/or stepped down by agreement is about the highlight. I'm sure McDonnell hoped for way more controversy than that, but he's making the most of what little he got https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1391494173140865029 :D
The big story is Rachel Reeves' promotion to Shadow Chancellor. Based on her past form, this is a decisive shift to the right. It significantly increases the probability that Labour will be fiscally more conservative than the Tories at the next election. At which point, you could hardly blame voters for asking what's the point voting for them.

Edit: I see Robert beat me to it. Yeah, looks like Labour is intent on trying to party like it's 1999.

I won't bang on about it any more for now but the reason I insist on this point is not out of some misguided loyalty to Corbyn. It is because I believe that if we accept the relentless and systematic delegitimisation of the leader of the opposition with nothing more than a shrug ("same as it ever was") it opens the door to many other horrors. We are living through some of them right now.

I agree it is a horror show. I can’t express how annoyed and concerned I am at living through the very obvious rise of a Trumpian/Tea Party-style far-right ethnic nationalism without any credible opposition or political representation on the horizon. Like millions I feel entirely disenfranchised and unrepresented. No one with the power to do anything is putting up any fight for my perspective here in England.

Scotland are obviously in a vastly better place as their opposition to Britain Trump, Brexit etc is coherent, focused and remarkably well led. The SNP have slaughtered both Conservative and Labour to the extent those parties likely lose deposits in many areas. Again, I blame Labour. They own this one. If the SNP can destroy Tory arguments and get a larger vote share than any English party in history (to my knowledge) then Labours utter failure to step up has to be viewed with zero sympathy. They are simply unfit for the purpose of opposition, let alone government.

The big story is Rachel Reeves' promotion to Shadow Chancellor. Based on her past form, this is a decisive shift to the right. It significantly increases the probability that Labour will be fiscally more conservative than the Tories at the next election. At which point, you could hardly blame voters for asking what's the point voting for them.

I reckon it's more likely that she got the gig cos she is a qualified and former economist. I imagine very slim pickings among Labour MPs to find someone like that.

I reckon it's more likely that she got the gig cos she is a qualified and former economist. I imagine very slim pickings among Labour MPs to find someone like that.

Karen Buck, Yvette Cooper, Mary Creagh, Stella Creasy, Margaret Hodge, Ed Miliband, Virendra Sharma and Barry Sheerman are fellow LSE graduates.

The party name "Labour" needs to go. Never has sounded very modern or progressive but these days just harks backwards imo.

Where Labour has done well it's predominantly where the 'left' is in control - funny that.

INDY%20keir%20reshuffle%20%281%29.jpg

Where Labour has done well it's predominantly where the 'left' is in control - funny that.

People are no longer Labour/Tory. The Tories have realised this. They (or rather Farage, Cummings and co) identified a socially conservative side to these areas which is pure emotion. They are able to go hell for leather for them because they are facing no pressure on their own heartlands from Labour. This strategy of trying to counter flag waving emotion with information is doomed to failure.* If you want to deal in colder facts and build new support, you need to be addressing a different demographic.

The more time they waste trying to restore old links with the new Tory voters, while ignoring the huge amount of people the Tories are prepared to abandon to get them, that longer the wilderness will last.

* if you doubt this, witness the amount of vox pops where voters there were saying they voted for "change" having backed the same bunch of frauds who have been there for 11 years.

Branding is complex. They’ll be needing a name that can not possibly be interpreted as having a position on anything. Certainly nothing that suggests a moral compass, integrity or underlying ideology.

Interesting that the main Tory tabloids do not touch the Labour Reshuffle on their front pages. They clearly see no threat and are happy to sit back and watch the Party destroy itself from the inside out

It's rapidly looking like Sir Keir has Mrs May levels of suitability for the job. Dull when campaigning, prone to panic, not a team player.

"“If they ever had the plot, they’ve completely lost it now,” said one frontbencher. … “At 7am yesterday, I would have said the chances of a leadership challenge were about 0% or as close to that as you could get,” said one exasperated Labour staffer. “By 7pm they were getting dangerously close to 100%.”" https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ings-labours-confidence-in-keir-starmer-slips

Probably in his mind, he imagined he was up to the task of leader because he thought he would be a natural at stuff like this:

Low levels of self-awareness, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back