advertisement

Charity shops ...

Joe Hutch

Mate of the bloke
... and vinyl records.

There's shedloads of charity shops round our way. Previously, Oxfam always over-priced their stock of vinyl LPs. However tatty the cover, or naff the record, the price would be north of a tenner. By contrast, the local Salvation Army shop was always under-priced for books and the few records they sold, so a rummage through their stock usually resulted a bargain or two. No longer, though. I took several boxes and bags of stuff down there the other day. In the window was a Sting LP, not rare AFAIK, priced at £20!

All of the large charities, quite possibly the small local ones too, sort everything these days. You can usually find plenty on EPay listed by the big charities.

Most charity shops way overprice stuff which leads to the same stuff sitting on the shelf for weeks. They then have no space for new stuff. This results in much lower sales overall and less money through the tills. Bloody daft given the stock is free.

Here in the Mid-west USA LPs and CDs are very much a afterthought for the thrifts -99 cents each. Basically -most thrifts dump 'em in bin or rack -no organization/alphabetization. So-a LOT of time is spent searching. I did try to sell about four hundred duplicates/triples to our local half price books -was offered 50 bucks for the lot -had them reload into my truck and re donated them to GoodWill -in total over a two week period I gave GW a couple of thousand duplicates. Friend of mine was at the bins sorting thru when the guy next to him goes "Wow-look at all these Linda Ronstadt albums!" -Joe goes "and I know who donated them". Somehow we've gotta organize a bus tour of UK vinylphiles accompanied by semi-trailer(s) - and shipping container(s) at what West coast port to haul the swag back to the UK ?

It's all about the CDs in charity shops round here - tons of Embrace/Elbow/All Saints but normally one or two interesting bits as well and often 50p or something.

That said a couple of shops have put up signs requesting no donations of books(!)/DVDs/CDs - I guess everyone streams or uses a Kindle so they have trouble shifting them.

I got a unused Moore and Wright 0-25mm micrometer cased, an Olympus on30 50mm lens and flash both for £30 each.

I have picked up some good CDs as well but they are not easy to find.

Pete

A lot of the bigger Charity organisations put all vinyl online nowadays, just in case they miss a trick, notice a lot of managers are much younger and hipper, and know what people are wanting,CD's are your best bet these days, cheap as chips

You just have to go in them regularly stuff comes up all the time, I got a spectral hifi/tv unit for 35 quid. Sonys top of the rang 55inch bravia for 2 hundy, I have got loads of stuff.

Super, great, trust you sleep well tonight.

I don't know what you are blabbing on about. The charity shop gets stuff for free they sell it at a price they set. On occasion I buy it. If its a bargain so be it, it will make up for all the tat side board cabinets they sell for 20 quid a pop. Plus I spend an inordinate amount of money in charity shops, so no, I am not going to go up to the counter and say, "please sir can I pay extra?"

I don't know what you are blabbing on about. The charity shop gets stuff for free they sell it at a price they set. On occasion I buy it. If its a bargain so be it, it will make up for all the tat side board cabinets they sell for 20 quid a pop. Plus I spend an inordinate amount of money in charity shops, so no, I am not going to go up to the counter and say, "please sir can I pay extra?"

advertisement

Back