advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s already be repaid, and some. It’s peculiar how noise around Scottish Independence seems directly correlated to the oil price. I wish Scotland nothing but success btw, I just can’t see how the economics stack up in the cold light of day.

Repaid how exactly?

But surely the question of Scottish independence is of primary political importance now for the whole of the UK? Even Boris Johnson recognises that.
I wish Scotland luck with independence ref 2. The English are no more interested in Scotland than vice versa. NS alienates the English as much as Boris alienates the Scottish.
It would be interesting to have an English indy ref to separate from noisy outliers.

I wish Scotland luck with independence ref 2. The English are no more interested in Scotland than vice versa. NS alienates the English as much as Boris alienates the Scottish.
It would be interesting to have an English indy ref to separate from noisy outliers.

Bring it on. The Tories have morphed to UKIP, and will move to the the ENP if it means they will be in power forever.

I speak to my mates in England and not one of them cares if Scotland become independent. The dedication to the Union seems only to be in the political classes and once they realise the advantages to them of Scotindy it will be game on.

Ironic you mention ENP. The tories don’t have far to go before becoming the English equivalent of the SNP.

Repaid how exactly?

Decades of fiscal transfers from the rest of the UK. You can’t consider one element (oil) in isolation, you have to look at the macro position. Still, not as bad as Wales. The vast majority there at least realise an independent Wales would be an economic basket case.

If Greater London and the Home Counties declared independence that would be very interesting indeed. The Home Counties are very much Brexitards but we in London are not so there could be a wall around the M25 and 2 countries set up. Living in London I would love that because we could be a success following the Singapore model which the UK could not whatever the right of the Conservatives wet themselves over. Little England North can look after itself - they take the money from London and strip us of our EU membership .

Ironic you mention ENP. The tories don’t have far to go before becoming the English equivalent of the SNP.
Take away the 59 Scottish MPs from Westminster and the Tory government would be further down the road with that.

Let’s face it, if Greater London and the Home Counties declared independence, the rest of the UK would be bankrupt.
Largely because the wealth generating businesses that kept the rest of the UK afloat were let go by dint of decisions made in London and the Home Counties, which then gathered the bulk of income generating business to itself.

I hear a lot of this ad hominem beef with NS.

What’s it about exactly??

What don’t you like? I’m intrigued!

That's so pfm. Frothing invective aimed, often in very personal terms, at members of the UK government, day in, day out, no matter how foul, is acceptable sport.

Mention Nicola (or Jacinda) in anything south of the most glowing terms and its tut-tut 'ad hominem'.

That's so pfm. Frothing invective aimed, often in very personal terms, at members of the UK government, day in, day out, no matter how foul, is acceptable sport.

Mention Nicola (or Jacinda) in anything south of the most glowing terms and its tut-tut 'ad hominem'.
But you’ve seen Boris haven’t you? I mean we all have. Brussels, Washington, Moscow and Beijing have. He’s a conman. Are you about to defend him? because even old Tories won’t- he’s beyond the pale.

Which is pretty much the way the whole of Britain has been getting by for the last few decades, so nothing new here.
Where did all that North Sea oil money disappear? Why are all the major car manufacturers in the UK foreign-owned? Why is the City dominated by foreign banks (and there is only one British bank left in the world's top 20 by assets). Etc.
North sea oil and gas money is long gone, sadly not used to modernise industry or create new industries.

Could well be. Awful woman.

Awful woman.
I sometimes wonder if the MSM likes to annoy the rest of the UK by broadcasting constant edicts from NS.
She is the First Minister of Scotland not the UK.
She might like to be but we don't get that option.

Erm, I don’t recall making such personal attacks here so please refrain from tarring me with the frothing nationalist brush.

That said, its not so much the ad hominem nature of the post that I was getting at. After all, who else but a political leader could be taken to stand for a particular identity, or political class? They’re a representative!

There is a rich history of political satire in the UK as I’m sure you’re aware...

My ‘beef’ was the lack of any substance to the post beyond repeated reference to NS being a woman. It smacked of chauvinism frankly. Hardly uncommon - there’s another such post above, for example...

I’m genuinely curious what, if not gender, really bugs people about NS. She’s competent, robust and articulate - pretty solid traits I’d suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back