advertisement

MDF - finishing?

bugbear

pfm Member
I just had occasion to varnish (Ronseal yacht varnish) something made from MDF.

The first coat - just soaked in like blotting paper. Zero build.

For next time, is there some kind of sealing coat I should apply first, or do I simply regard the first coat of varnish as being the sealing coat?

BugBear

The simplest first coat is dilute varnish - cheaper on varnish and does the same job as neat varnish.
If you think of what it actually is, very thick blotting paper is pretty near the actual truth.

2nd coat (just applied) was more successful, but still not great.

EDIT; 2 hours later, surface still sticky, so it DIDN'T soak in and disappear nearly so much this time.

BugBear

Last edited:
For next time, is there some kind of sealing coat I should apply first, or do I simply regard the first coat of varnish as being the sealing coat?

BugBear

For next time: unless it's for a water/liquid sensitive use (e.g. table top) just give it a couple of coats of indoor 'quick drying' varnish with a very light rub down between coats (don't overdo it) . Being water based means it dries very quickly compared to the spirit based stuff so the job gets done in a fraction of the time - added bonus is less stink ....

This will seal MDF much better than any spirit based varnish (unless you apply a zillion coats).

You can then apply as many more coats as you want to finish off - or substitute with yacht varnish if you want a more durable water resistant finish.

Works every time :)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back