advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post illustrates my point.

When something 'new' comes out it's rarely the dominant player forever.

The spruiking I'm seeing predicting crypto prices for the next decade is laughable. I'm not buying the digital gold line.
The point was the tech is evolving and adapting underneath all the hype, marketing, lambo predictions and Musk bullshit. In a decade or so the actual Crypto landscape will be very different, ETH 2 is much greener than ETH or BTC and may be the driving force behind BTC losing dominance.

No doubt the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57027046

Oh, and another day, another record on the Dow. I’m seriously thinking of dumping anything US related. Bad jobs data today. It’s all based on stimulus cheques, much of which ends up on Wall Street. It’s a total scam. We’re going to see an acceleration of the demise of the US and the rise of East, big time.

No doubt the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-57027046

Oh, and another day, another record on the Dow. I’m seriously thinking of dumping anything US related. Bad jobs data today. It’s all based on stimulus cheques, much of which ends up on Wall Street. It’s a total scam. We’re going to see an acceleration of the demise of the US and the rise of East, big time.

Yes, tip of the iceberg for Furlough --- Business Bounce Backs scams will be a big news item soon.

Once the pandemic is over, the media dagger's will be out for the ones that had to make quick decisions under extreme pressure. The ones reporting it will forget how dire things were in March 2020.

We definitely won't "Be In This Together" when the economic fall out is analysed over the next decade.

If the stock market does collapse in the US I shudder to think what will happen in that powder keg. We are Very, Very close to pitchforks in the street if this thing goes pear shaped.

Naaa, just another sh*t coin, loads get launched during a bull run as desperate folks try to piggy back on to some quick profit making.

You tend to find the people who dream of their chosen sh*t coin going to the moon are seriously invested in it emotionally, they will shill that one coin everywhere and spread fud about anything else, hence the Elon cult around DOGE. Some of the stuff on Reddit about DOGE is tragic, people putting money in just because of Elon who literally have no clue about crypto but think this thing is going to $1000+ lol.

We'll see what happens when he hosts SNL this evening, DOGE has steadily pumped from 30c to 70c over the last few days and they're all desperately hanging on for a dollar, but I think a lot of the huge bag holders from previous cycles who bought it at like 0.001 where it usually hangs around will sensibly dump it before it gets there.

Yes, that's definitely going to happen. Why Elon is getting associated with it all is beyond me. It could do massive damage to his 'brand' if/when it goes pear shaped. Just stick to making cars and rockets and he's got massive momentum there.

Here is an interesting FT.com reader comment relating Elon, Cathy Wood (who heads ARK ETF, an influential and concentrated Tesla investor) and Bill Hwang of the recently failed Archegos hedge fund that many ascribe to the recent tech sell off, and alos a seed investor in ARK:

"Despite my love for most everything he does, can’t help but see the temptation of one particularly large Tesla shareholder using his shares as a collateral for a massive loan, which he invests in a group of concentrated ETFs (anonymously, apparently, coming from someone who should know better than to say such things), where the main investment is, uh, Tesla...not to mention Hwang-esque options gambling, and astonishingly, Tesla share price x13 in a year..."

If you thought TESLA was pumped up, and I've been saying so for a while, well, here is some food for thought.

^^^ Well, historically there has never been a market bubble without some level of fraud/manipulation going on in the background that only becomes blindingly apparent in the aftermath. It just comes to who the players are and the extent of it. Why do we think this one will be any different...

Used to visit Japan occasionally when we briefly developed fuels and lubricants for the Honda F1 engine. I think Japan's days as an innovative and economic power-house are being eclipsed and the trend in age distribution of the population is worrying.

Used to visit Japan occasionally when we briefly developed fuels and lubricants for the Honda F1 engine. I think Japan's days as an innovative and economic power-house are being eclipsed and the trend in age distribution of the population is worrying.

Interesting. They have so many damn good companies and corporations though. I’d buy something made in Japan over pretty much anywhere else.

Japanese companies don't make much in Japan these days, they are all over SE Asia.
They still obsess about good quality.

The trend in age distribution is something all countries (hopefully !) will have to find answers to if this world is to survive: the earlier the better. Japan reached that stage earlier and will probably transition better than others. It is certainly an easier challenge than rapid population growth.
At 125 million the population is large enough for any economic objectives and, as noted above, Japanese companies have factories all over SE Asia. Natural resources are finite.
A greener, lower growth, lower population, better educated society is something all countries should strive for. Japan has a higher population density than the UK and will undoubtedly be a nicer place if the population continues to reduce gradually as projected.
Quality not quantity...

Last edited:
Japanese companies don't make much in Japan these days, they are all over SE Asia.
They still obsess about good quality.

Yes, but as you say the quality is there. When I think about the Japanese products I’ve owned, they’ve all been superb. I’ll only buy Japanese cars now for example, they just don’t break. When we had boats we only had Yamaha outboards because it’s not the sort of thing you want problems with. Their products seem to have a deep level of engineering which is ahead of the rest IMHO.

I see there are Baillie Gifford and JP Morgan Japanese trusts, could be time to have a look. I’m just not comfortable with the levels of the US markets. As Warren Buffett said, be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.

Looking to reduce US exposure. Any thoughts on how Japan might fare over the next 5 - 10 years?

If you believe that Abenomoics is and will continue to work, and that Japanese tech has a bright future (they lead in robots, for example, because of the population issue) then it could be worth a punt. Buffet bought some Japanese stocks last year so maybe there is something 'there'.

Totally agree about quality obsessing by the more world-class of Japanese companies. However for investment performance, I would see Japan as beneficial as a relatively safe haven (although it's income is also predicated on global markets that are in turn more volatile but still there is a decoupling).

Innovation trends: My comment about innovation is NOT supported by patent data trends, but recently I spent 6 years as an intellectual asset manager, literally assessing thousands of patents a year, and the consensus my IP colleagues and I, is that the quality of Japanese patents in my industry has become noticeably poorer (patents per year is a KPI of many Japanese multinationals and many patent for the sake of hitting metrics and staff remuneration).

I would check out South Korea.....and I think Germany is one to watch.

DOGE going well.....Go the Musk!

Although I'm sure plenty are ready to 'Buy The Dip'. The dip relative to what though...

We have truly entered the Twilight Zone. I have my popcorn at the ready to watch the shit show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back