advertisement

i could cry,,

graystoke4

pfm Member
as many of you know i work for royal mail,, better than walking the street's,
anyway , the share price was about a £1, a year ago with strikes lumming, a shocking CEO, German,,my boss said he was goin to buy some share's, ME too i said get me £10,000, a no brainer, then he got transferred to another ,and i forgot about it , they are now £5, something, i could have made £50,000, in one year,
i know what your thinking, woulda coulda shoulda,

:(

As I made a profit on the flotation issue, I dipped my toes in again in mid '19 at £2 and landed a lovely £170 divi. a couple of months later. Still debating a sale, but can't be *rsed. Don't think they'll go down too much with a first Covid divi. promised in a few months. Peace with unions, a new and involved CEO and a booming parcel service (esp. in Germany); think I'll hold.

Last edited:
the point is at £1, its a no brainer, it cannot go down any further, sooo sad,:(:(
just look at all the fuses and snake-oil i could have bought,

I’ve still got mine from the original share issue. I bought them as I was so angry at the Tories selling something I considered I owned anyway so I bought them purely to deny the opportunity to professional stock-market flippers!

PS I have no huge issue with stocks, shares etc, I have my savings spread across several such products, I just hugely resented the Tory government stealing what was ours already. I would happily sell my shares back into public ownership at the original issue price plus inflation, i.e. at no profit.

I've always followed the 'don't invest in anything you don't understand' advice, which for me is just about everything. I'm also highly risk-averse. The only time I've made any real money out of the stock market was when I got some TSB shares (for free, I think) and sold them when they hit a peak.

Sold a decent chunk of my shares in the company I worked for at 27p as I wanted to pay off my mortgage. Sold the rest at around 75p to pay for my daughter’s university fees. Three years later they were over £2. I could’ve retired much earlier if I’d just held onto them. Hey ho. Such is life.

I've always followed the 'don't invest in anything you don't understand' advice, which for me is just about everything. I'm also highly risk-averse.

^This. All of my money is savings from salary. I could get upset about all of the money I could have had *if* I'd kept my Woolwich shares or bought gas shares or whatever but, hey, life's OK as it is (financially).

the point is at £1, its a no brainer, it cannot go down any further, sooo sad,:(:(

Not sure that's entirely true..

But, if it's any consolation, I was always told it's never a good idea to invest in any company you work for. If it does go sour, then that's potentially your job and a big chunk of wedge all exposed at the same time. Not entirely sure if that's true for an organisation the size of the Royal Mail (or are you lot still Consignia?..) - but in any case, if any doubt, refer again to Joe's post, #8 :)

An uncle of mine lost everything in a share collapse in Australia a couple of years ago, all life savings. He’s now in serious depression and can’t see a way out. Shares were ‘locked’ and he couldn’t get the funds out, company collapsed and value became zero.

Be careful!

Never put all your eggs in one basket. If you can't diversify your own portfolio you should invest in a fund that is suitably diversified. The return may be lower but if you can't afford to lose your stake, return/risk needs to be thought about carefully.

advertisement

Back