advertisement

LP12 Tonearm Alternatives

I've owned the Mission 774, a Rega RB300. a Stogi and a Nima all on my LP12 and if you can afford to stretch to the second hand PU7 go for it. The PU7 is really most of the best bits of all those arms without the odd issue either sound wise, or simply ergonomically, in partnership with the Linn.

Maybe an Alphason HR 100 S.It was supposed to have been a superb arm back in the day.It might be worth seeking one out.Just another possibility...

The PU7 is really most of the best bits of all those arms without the odd issue either sound wise, or simply ergonomically, in partnership with the Linn.

My local Linn dealer often puts the PU7 on their top demonstration decks. If they want to max out a deck, more often than not that's the arm they fit. As yet, I've never heard it on an LP12 but it must be pretty good.

I have/had fitted on my Sondeks these arms:
  • Audio Origami PU7 (It was made to match the pl12 and a gift for my collaboration in the design). It was far and away the worst arm in my collection and I sold it with no regret.
  • Linn Ittok LVII. I use it in my secondary system.
  • Syrinx PU3B (a vastly improved PU3). It is better than the Ittok and umiliates the inferior AO-PU7.
  • My DIY tonearm I designed after my experience with Audio Origami (correcting the limits of its poor design). I find it is the better sounding and enjoyable of all the others. It gives me the sound I creved for and, since listening to it, I no longer feel the need to spend money to change something in my turntable.

My DIY tonearm I designed after my experience with Audio Origami (correcting the limits of its poor design). I find it is the better sounding and enjoyable of all the others.

I think we should all design our own tonearms. It seems to be a sure fire way to achieve world beating performance.

I think we should all design our own tonearms. It seems to be a sure fire way to achieve world beating performance.

I agree because this has been my experience. However the design and building (and I did it with maniacal care) takes a lot of time.

I've used and still do a Audio Origami and a Moerch up4 on mine both fitted with a Benz Wood, the up4 was magical. It was light and airy, (the sound as well as the arm) the only reason I took it off was because I want to try it on me 401.

The AO PU7 on my LP12 is a dream to use both in its setting up and playback. The design is so well conceived and built, plus j7 is always there to answer questions & offer support. For those who don’t have the engineering prowess to build their own arm look no further.

of course other arms exist that would also offer a high level of performance but I like to support fellow small artisan businesses such as AO.

Yes, it seems to be the experience of everyone who builds their own kit. No one builds shite stuff. Or even ordinary stuff. Weird that.

For me it is weird that many people believe in the high quality of a product by hearsay (expecially by a retailer or a magazine) and without having compared it.

No one builds shite stuff. Or even ordinary stuff. Weird that.

Do you know an advertised "by compliant magazines" manufacturer who claims to produce poor stuff?

Last edited:
Me , I replaced a Nima with a Jelco SA750D when I was an LP12'ist . It worked for me , I kept the Jelco on the Linn and never felt the need to try anything else .
I had the 750D on my LP12 prior to the Morch - it was also head and shoulders better than the rewired RB250. The Morch was an impulse buy which was a great move, it bettered the Jelco but the Jelco is such a versatile arm - I'd recommend one wholeheartedly.

Are you daydreaming about arms after upgrading to the Karousel kit?
Else, the new bearing should be fitted first.
Its the best value of any latter day Linn LP12 upgrade.

PU7 (too expensive)
Bad move in my opinion - moving from unipivots, as are NA arms.
I have used two NA arms on my Hyperspace - BORING.
my silver audio origami pu7 will be available in the next few weeks if you are interested.
It’s a rega geometry model with the upgraded heavy stainless collar. Bought from Johnnie

Absolutely nothing wrong with PU7s, though I know of one owner who didn't like the proximity of the bias wheel to the lifting lever. I've never had that problem though. Best ergonomic feature of the PU7 (mine's a chrome 12" though) is the brilliant rest/clip design. One hand flick secures the arm after lift-off. So many arms have hideous or no security feature in this aspect (the N.A. arms are an example, having just a 'shelf' with too much lateral movement.

Vinny, maybe you just don't enjoy the different presentation that a unipivot gives, despite assumed synergy with Hyperspace, and N.A. arms are very popular, which isn't exactly indicative of a poor arm (I like my 12" Ace Anna, but prefer my PU7 but for other than sonic reasons). However, some cart's do prefer gimballed arms, i.m.e.

It's been a long time since I had an LP12 (with Basic, then Tiktok) and I have a feeling that the LP12 is more compatible with a gimballed arm. A caveat here is the the more recent incarnations have been honed to produce more a CD-like performance. The mellifluousness of the unipivot would, i.m.o., not be synergistic with the cold fruit-box of old, though the Aro would seem to offer a contradiction here.

Vinny, maybe you just don't enjoy the different presentation that a unipivot gives,

I did say "bad move in my opinion, moving away from unipivots". I had an Ittok for maybe 25 years and have tried a Funk, but otherwise used nothing but unipivots for the past several years - ARO, Nima, NAS and Hadcock, although I did move to a Scroder a few weeks back. Hadcock basically wins against all but the Shroder here.

Anyone ever mounted Nottingham Analogue arm on LP12?
Yes, I have. A NA Omega Point Silver, which came on my first LP12. It sounded better back to back than my pal's LP12/Ittok of similar (Valhalla, pre Cirkus) spec. I also preferred it to another pal's LP12/Aro, but that was via a different amp which I disliked. The same arm is now on my Garrard 401 and performs very well. I like unipivots.

Following this thread with interest, I have a Basik Plus which I am looking to upgrade, but there doesn't seem to be much in the 'affordable' range (PU7 or is not 'affordable' for me). A grand buys a used Ittok or Ekos(?) and a Project/Jelco doesn't seem like a significant upgrade, for the money.

Even an Ittok jigsaw costs £50: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19410288...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well I started with a Grace back in 1979 then 3 Ittoks over the 23 years then had a Aro fitted a chasm over the Ittok. My Tangerine Audio Stiletto coupled with the Armeggedon plays sweet music to me.

Regards,

Martin

advertisement

Back