advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Nationalists. Let’s have another ‘once in a lifetime’ democratic vote on the issue of Independence which you lost a mere 7 years ago. Today you still achieved less than 50% of the vote of the Scottish voters on your again this time ‘most important vote of a lifetime’ You will certainly lose again!

Yes Labour, Tory, Galloway and whoever colluded against you! There is no single viable opposition - you fill a vacuum. When every man and their dog start colluding against you then you might start to realise the gross unpopularity of your jingo party amongst the divided Majority.
Scottish Greens are also pro-independence. Count their share and you have an overall majority.

As for ‘once in a lifetime’, that was before Scotland was dragged out of the EU against its will.

Ok Nationalists. Let’s have another ‘once in a lifetime’ democratic vote on the issue of Independence which you lost a mere 7 years ago. Today you still achieved less than 50% of the vote of the Scottish voters on your again this time ‘most important vote of a lifetime’ You will certainly lose again!

Yes Labour, Tory, Galloway and whoever colluded against you! There is no single viable opposition - you fill a vacuum. When every man and their dog start colluding against you then you might start to realise the gross unpopularity of your jingoistic party amongst the divided Majority!

I don't want to see independence, but what you are saying is total rot and the blame for it being back on the agenda lies closer to home.

Not only is there a pro majority in the Scottish parliament, but your talk of "less than 50%" not being enough for the SNP platform rings very hollow when you're happy to allow Johnson to do what he likes on much less. As for their minority pro union MPs - you seem to think they should get more consideration in their parliament than the minority do here in Westminster.

Perhaps we should sort out our own shit show before lecturing others.

The SNP and the Greens are placing the decision about future direction of the country in the hands of its voters. Who knows which way they will vote on independence but at least they are being offered the freedom to choose for themselves by a democratically elected government, not one that unlawfully shuts down parliament and threatens the independence of the courts in order to get its way or indeed decides to break international law “in limited end specific ways”.
The fact that we are under the control of a government that behaves in this way makes it all the more urgent from my point of view that we get on with independence.

I don't want to see independence, but what you are saying is total rot and the blame for it being back on the agenda lies closer to home.

Not only is there a pro majority in the Scottish parliament, but your talk of "less than 50%" not being enough for the SNP platform rings very hollow when you're happy to allow Johnson to do what he likes on much less. As for their minority pro union MPs - you seem to think they should get more consideration in their parliament than the minority do here in Westminster.

Perhaps we should sort out our own shit show before lecturing others.

So assume a second referendum is granted on your parliamentary majority which then requires a majority of the Scottish vote which you have only just once again failed to achieve. More endless disruption from the inept Nats. Your agenda really does set Scotland on a course of endless disruption win or lose!

So assume a second referendum is granted on your parliamentary majority which then requires a majority of the Scottish vote which you have only just once again failed to achieve. More endless disruption from the inept Nats. Your agenda really does set Scotland on a course of endless disruption win or lose!
D’Hondt.

Good Morning All,

I see between this and the Kier Starmer thread there are references to PR and I was accused of not understanding the Scottish system.

Well I've just been looking at the results from Thursday:-

Scottish Greens 8 seats 34,990 votes

Scottish Liberals 4 seats 187,806 votes

There were 2,696,214 votes cast so proper (OK this is very simplistic) PR would have netted the Greens 1.7 seats and the LD 7 seats.

You could go further and take the 1,291,214 votes the SNP got which would have netted them 61.8 seats. Thus the SNP/ Green 'coalition' wouldn't have had a majority.

Equally the Conservatives would only have gotten 28 seats rather than 31.................. and Labour 27 rather then 22........

Just saying.

Regards

Richard

I don't think anybody would claim there's an 'ideal' PR system, but arguably even the worst one is considerably more democratic than FPTP.

Stupid referendums causing years of endless disruption are very much in vogue, it's not unique to Scotland.

Good Morning All,

I see between this and the Kier Starmer thread there are references to PR and I was accused of not understanding the Scottish system.

There were 2,696,214 votes cast so proper (OK this is very simplistic) PR would have netted the Greens 1.7 seats and the LD 7 seats.

You could go further and take the 1,291,214 votes the SNP got which would have netted them 61.8 seats. Thus the SNP/ Green 'coalition' wouldn't have had a majority.

Equally the Conservatives would only have gotten 28 seats rather than 31.................. and Labour 27 rather then 22........

Just saying.

Regards

Richard

While we are on interesting but irrelevent cuts of the figures, I was surprised to learn this morning that the difference between May's 2017 election, widely seen as absolutely disasterous and Johnson's "landslide" was a mere 300,000 votes.

We can all do "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" type analysis. :)

Good Morning All,

Just saying.

Regards

Richard

As Steve pointed out PR is not perfect but it is much closer to reflecting the actual votes cast compared to FTP. Do you not agree?
Certainly I agree the voting numbers do not seem to indicate an easy passage to independence. If the voting pattern remained at this level it is 50/50 and could swing either way. Personally I wouldn't be going for a referendum on that out turn. To repeat what I said earlier I wouldn't be going for hard Brexit on the percentage outcome of the last election or the Brexit vote.

Nicola S being questioned on the Marr show this morning about the extended period to commit to Sterling post independence.

Is this wise? I don't know if the BoE would be considering Scottish interests when setting future policy on interest rates.

Isn't it better to plan to move quickly to something like the Euro?

Just get on with it. Once, of course, the proportional share of the UK national debt is repaid (God knows how much that has increased over the past year), all UK public sector jobs are relocated out of Scotland, a Scottish currency and central bank established independent of Sterling and the Bank of England, for starters. Army? Navy? Air Force? etc etc. Boris should be delighted. He’d get a nice big cheque into the treasury (hope it doesn’t bounce), save a fortune every year and be in No 10 forever. Crack on.

As Steve pointed out PR is not perfect but it is much closer to reflecting the actual votes cast compared to FTP. Do you not agree?
Certainly I agree the voting numbers do not seem to indicate an easy passage to independence. If the voting pattern remained at this level it is 50/50 and could swing either way. Personally I wouldn't be going for a referendum on that out turn. To repeat what I said earlier I wouldn't be going for hard Brexit on the percentage outcome of the last election or the Brexit vote.

It's given Sturgeon the room to watch. It's also given Johnson a headache as Brexit fall out would increase that pressure.

I don't think anybody would claim there's an 'ideal' PR system, but arguably even the worst one is considerably more democratic than FPTP.
When Westminster passed The Scotland Act into law, it dictated the system of voting for MSPs. It was designed by the Blair government to make it near on impossible to allow any one party an overall majority- ie the SNP who’s aim was always independence.

Naturally they didn’t chose to reform the voting system for their own Parliament. Had the SNP faced the election on present Westminster electoral rules they would have achieved the equivalent of taking 550 of Westminster’s 650 seats. There would have been standing room only for the opposition.

This is a remarkable electoral achievement for the SNP and with the Green Party, they’re going to deliver a very different future. It was amusing to see the front page of The Telegraph, the Barclay’s house magazine with Boris still writing for them, desperately trying to reimagine it somehow as a failure for the SNP. What next, “Boris slaps down furious Sturgeon” in The Express? Ain’t going to wash.

SE6e8g8.jpg

...nothing to worry their boy about.

Just get on with it. Once, of course, the proportional share of the UK national debt is repaid (God knows how much that has increased over the past year), all UK public sector jobs are relocated out of Scotland, a Scottish currency and central bank established independent of Sterling and the Bank of England, for starters. Army? Navy? Air Force? etc etc. Boris should be delighted. He’d get a nice big cheque into the treasury (hope it doesn’t bounce), save a fortune every year and be in No 10 forever. Crack on.
That is a little pessimistic, Scotland could survive for years with asset sales and leaseback by the Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back