advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet they couldn’t wait. They’re were so successful themselves of course.
Unfair.

Given the shitty attacks on the left from Starmer and his general secretary, McDonnell has shown immense patience in being remarkably supportive until now (many left wing members have grown increasingly frustrated with him for this reason).

Starmer's the one who just pressed the nuclear button. He's completely out of his depth and once he's outlived his usefulness to the Labour right they'll shaft him.

It’s a pure affectation. He can afford to dress well, it’s an insult to those who make an effort.

Dressing ultra-smart in a business suit is arguably a very working/middle class thing to do. Corbyn is neither! He just dresses the way people who have never had to ‘make an impression’ dress. I have no issue with this at all and have always railed against uniforms of all kinds. I could pick an argument with Corbyn on many things, but the way he chooses to look would never factor on my radar. I find the sea of vacuous personality-less corporate slave suits infinitely more offensive.

Unfair.

Given the shitty attacks on the left from Starmer and his general secretary, McDonnell has shown immense patience in being remarkably supportive until now (many left wing members have grown increasingly frustrated with him for this reason).

Starmer's the one who just pressed the nuclear button. He's completely out of his depth and once he's outlived his usefulness to the Labour right they'll shaft him.
I don’t think it unfair. Jury is out on Starmer but I find McDonnell’s charge cheap and opportunistic.I believe he was th3 only one to acknowledge his role in the election disappointment. I don’t believe Corbyn did. They should know the challenge.

Helen Pidd on that very point cites localism and positive vision. https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ow-importance-of-localism-and-positive-vision
This is step 1 for any half-decent political journalist but the really necessary step is to ask why we can’t have e.g. the Preston model elsewhere. And more immediately why the leadership is dealing with failure by knifing soft left figures rather than having this kind of positive conversation. It will be a huge step for the Guardian if it can even broach these issues with its readership.

Dressing ultra-smart in a business suit is arguably a very working/middle class thing to do. Corbyn is neither! He just dresses the way people who have never had to ‘make an impression’ dress. I have no issue with this at all and have always railed against uniforms of all kinds. I could pick an argument with Corbyn on many things, but the way he chooses to look would never factor on my radar. I find the sea of vacuous personality-less corporate slave suits infinitely more offensive.
You’re all over the place on this one. Working people like to look smart where appropriate; I wouldn’t turn up to a job interview dressed like Corbyn. Trying to get elected is a very demanding selection process & you should make the effort to look the part. In fairness to Corbyn he did eventually recognise this & smartened up.

I don’t think it unfair. Jury is out on Starmer but I find McDonnell’s charge cheap and opportunistic.I believe he was th3 only one to acknowledge his role in the election disappointment. I don’t believe Corbyn did. They should know the challenge.
I much prefer McDonnell to Corbyn, think he is far smarter (intellectually). I think he would have made a better leader also.

I much prefer McDonnell to Corbyn, think he is far smarter (intellectually). I think he would have made a better leader also.
I did prefer him. He had a deal of sincerity but he of all people should know the fight Starmer faces. He tried a different route but it’s a challenge for him. He’s not out of his depth. What would Corbyn be in that case!

It’s entertaining, have to admit. It’s like they’ve gone feral. This is what happens when you re-animate Peter Mandelson’s corpse, kids. Don’t do it.

I did prefer him. He had a deal of sincerity but he of all people should know the fight Starmer faces. He tried a different route but it’s a challenge for him. He’s not out of his depth. What would Corbyn be in that case!
Also out of his depth. Corbyn underestimated the viciousness of the Labour right, for starters. Also not a slick media performer.

Starmer has been playing LOTO on easy mode for a year (no hostile briefings from the PLP and a relatively soft ride in the far-right press) yet he already looks like a lame duck.

Blair fan-boy Lord Adonis has already said Starmer needs to go and I'm sure the Labour right will get rid of Starmer when he's no longer useful to them.

To be clear, I'm not leading the charge for Starmer's resignation here. Labour's issues are too fundamental to fix that way.

Also out of his depth. Corbyn underestimated the viciousness of the Labour right, for starters. Also not a slick media performer.

Starmer has been playing LOTO on easy mode for a year (no hostile briefings from the PLP and a relatively soft ride in the far-right press) yet he already looks like a lame duck.

Blair fan-boy Lord Adonis has already said Starmer needs to go and I'm sure the Labour right will get rid of Starmer when he's no loner useful to them.
I agree Starmer’s played it safe. It’s do or die now really.

I agree Starmer’s played it safe. It’s do or die now really.
I think he's finished to be honest (not necessarily now, but certainly in the medium term). I wonder if he will even lead Labour into the next GE. It's sad really, given the goodwill he inherited when he became party leader: (diluted) 2017/2019 manifesto + competence and party unity was an attractive offer but ultimately the headcases on the right of the party will give him the same treatment they gave to Brown, Milliband and (turned up to 11) Corbyn.

It’s not really about Starmer, for me, it’s about the awful people he’s surrounded himself with, and the structural issues he’s committed himself to not dealing with as a result. But my God he is out of his depth. He’s having quite a spectacular meltdown. I keep imagining the Downfall scene, not with the funny subtitles but with Starmer raging in that uptight, strangulated way of his. I’d be amazed if he can continue after this brutal beating that he’s giving himself. And I’m fascinated to see who comes next. Amazing scenes.

You’re all over the place on this one. Working people like to look smart where appropriate; I wouldn’t turn up to a job interview dressed like Corbyn. Trying to get elected is a very demanding selection process & you should make the effort to look the part. In fairness to Corbyn he did eventually recognise this & smartened up.

FFS “The Emperor’s New Clothes” showed the stupidity of judging a person on their clothes a long time ago.

A slightly more up to date version is below, all you need to do is get rid of the gender references and it’s good to go for today.

Jonathan Ashworth and Anneliese Dodds also rumoured for the purge.

Along with Nandy and Rayner... Is Sir Keir having a purge of Northerners? That will go down well. :confused:

Sir Keir and his team are duds. You can imagine them Zooming about the John Lewis wallpaper photoshoot. Congratulating themselves on the fantastic idea.

Starmer even now is still not coming out with any real policy ideas or what the labour party now stands for , no clear message = no votes

Jonathan Ashworth and Anneliese Dodds also rumoured for the purge.

Along with Nandy and Rayner... Is Sir Keir having a purge of Northerners? That will go down well. :confused:

Sir Keir and his team are duds. You can imagine them Zooming about the John Lewis wallpaper photoshoot. Congratulating themselves on the fantastic idea.
Nancy is quite decent. Speaks well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back