advertisement

Your Loudspeaker history...

No longer have room for my lovely HB3 2s. After playing with various little Royds, JPWs, and Wharfedale Diamond 2s, I've settled on Diamond 9.2s. Filling the ports with straws made a very pleasing improvement in the bass. Compared to the other small fellas I find them honest speakers with little character of their own, and more transparent.

Had loads in the past including Epos ES11, Dynaudio 1.8 mk2 Contour, Neat Momentum.

Now, near(ish) field monitoring at one end of a long room with :- either Rogers LS4a or for a slightly faster sound : in reserve, Wharfedale 505.2.
I also have Monitor Audio R252's which are good but don't pull that far ahead of the above mentioned and I now have too many pairs.

Tannoy Cheviots HPD 315
Epos ES 11
Genexxa Pro LX5

Tannoy Arden HPD 385 - Last 20 years or so
(Currently got itchy feet, but struggling to think of anything to better 'em)

Just catching this long running thread.
First real speakers
Tannoy 603 - small stand mount funky six sided way better than they looked loved them with budget Rotel amp and cd.

Epos ES11 ugly but went very well with 72/140

This time around ( 18 years later )

Tannoy DC6T very nice just didn't suit my room too much boom in bass. Heard them in new owner big apartment wow superb with space and big heavy floors.

Naim SBLs still not used them had damage to voice coil so spent ages looking for new driver. Matched set fitted just need to address the crossovers and will finally try them one day lol. Still got them

Naim Nam 402 bought on whim old early monitor type. Very nice not earth shaking bass but very enjoyable superb musicality. Still got them as sale fell through but shame to unpack them after all the effort if boxing them up.

Naim Intro work in progress. Ugly in all respects and ear shattering treble. Dry and brittle sounding at low volume. Still to see if I can come to enjoy these, only concern is this is the naim sound the SBLs might not see the light of day and the old 402s might need to come back

Tannoy Mercury
B&W 601S2
Dynaudio audience 52
Dynaudio contour 1.1
Dynaudio contour 1.3 Mkii
B&W 805S
Focal 1007 be
Wilson benesch arc
Acoustic energy ref 1
Monitor audio gr10
Most memorable and longest lasting by far were the Dynaudio 1.3 mkii.

Some cheap Gale speakers from Richer Sounds I bought as a 16 year old (crap, but I didn't know any better) >
Acoustic Energy AE109 (decent enough! Not much bass) >
Onkyo Liverpool (liked these a lot. Very handsome, too) >
Rogers JR149 (excellent, but too small for me, and couldn't play rock) >
Neat Motive 3 (not all that, to be honest) >
KEF Reference 105/3 (waaay to much high end, even with valves. Could never listen to more than 30 mins) >
Tannoy 15" MGs in Lancaster cabinets (wonderful, but lacked a smidge of detail that I wanted) >
Audio Note AN-E HE LX (my faves. Excellent balance of great detail, 'warmth' and low end. Can listen to them for hours)

The longest lasting, and best, were the Tannoys and my current Audio Notes. The shortest were the KEFs. One thing I have learnt from speaker ownership is that I absolutely CANNOT abide by slim floormounts or standmount speakers - they just never have enough bass for my liking.

AR18s
Home built version of Focal Aria 5 (Falcon kit)
Elac something or other floorstanders edit: FS210 Anniversary
Raidho S2 - loved these
Focal 1027S
Focal 1028Be (still have these)
Russell K Red150 (still have, but see classifieds)
Amphion Argon 7 LS (using now)

Thinking may go Fyne Audio next, but who knows?

Last edited:
Minimax11/ Mission something or other/ Quad Radiators/ ImpulseH6/Naim IBLs / Arcs. Over 30 years so obviously not a speaker tart...

JR149
Epos ES14
Dynaudio Contour 1.1
PMC Fact.8
Harbeth SHL5+ (original and 40th AE)
Wilson Sabrina

That's over 36 years. The Contour 1.1 were purchased for wall mounting when the kids were small and curious. The Harbeth were the ultimate in sound quality+value. The wife chose the Wilson for aesthetics, but she enjoys listening to them. So do I.

Just catching this long running thread.
First real speakers
Tannoy 603 - small stand mount funky six sided way better than they looked loved them with budget Rotel amp and cd.

Epos ES11 ugly but went very well with 72/140

This time around ( 18 years later )

Tannoy DC6T very nice just didn't suit my room too much boom in bass. Heard them in new owner big apartment wow superb with space and big heavy floors.

Naim SBLs still not used them had damage to voice coil so spent ages looking for new driver. Matched set fitted just need to address the crossovers and will finally try them one day lol. Still got them

Naim Nam 402 bought on whim old early monitor type. Very nice not earth shaking bass but very enjoyable superb musicality. Still got them as sale fell through but shame to unpack them after all the effort if boxing them up.

Naim Intro work in progress. Ugly in all respects and ear shattering treble. Dry and brittle sounding at low volume. Still to see if I can come to enjoy these, only concern is this is the naim sound the SBLs might not see the light of day and the old 402s might need to come back
Worry not SBLs are great speakers, had a pair for nearly 20 years & it took a rather fine pair of ATC actives to beat them.

Old thread but interesting. Noticed few people who owned the Harbeth SHL5.
Here's my history. I can recall some of the details as I don't upgrade the speakers as frequently as amplifiers.

B&W CDM 1SE (bought new, owned more than 10 years)
B&W N805 (bought used, owned less than 3 months)
Sonus Faber Grand Piano (bought used, owned up to 5 years)
Proac Tablette 50 Signature (bought used, owned up to 3 months)
PMC LB1 Signature (bought new, owned up to 5 years)
Harbeth Super HL5 (bought new, owned 7 years)
Harbeth Super HL5 Plus (bought new, current)
Dali Mentor Menuet (bought new, current)
Marten Duke 2 (bought new, current)

I've retired from the game. Few speakers I wished to try or own but likely won't be happening in my lifetime ;

ATC
Dynaudio
Proac (latest models)

I had a couple of stereo record players at first but around 1980 bought my first separates system with Wharfedale Linton XP2 speakers.
After those
Mission 737R ( pretty good with my NAD amp, not so good with an 8000A )
Epos ES15 ( a floorstander and very good )
Proac D15 (bought new in 2006. Still have them and should get on with selling )
ATC SCM40 actives (possibly my final speakers?)

I should show some of the previous long lists to my wife as she I thinks I'm always changing hi-fi :)

Not much change for me in the last few years, think I have reached my end game speakers! But the list is:
Some Panasonic speakers
JPW AP2
Royd Doublet
Wilson Benesch Arc
Shahinian Obelisk
Russell K Red 50
Shahinian Compass

Biggest regret, selling the Doublets to a guy in Canada, I have never heard any speakers sound like they did!

I have been meaning to join this thread for the longest time...
Starting in the early 70’s with:
Wharfedale E70
Celestion Ditton 25
Rogers LS 5/8
TDL Monitors (4way transmission line)
ProAc Studio Tower
KEF Q7
KEF Reference 203
ProAc D40
Focal Utopia III Scala V1
And End game- Focal Utopia Evo Scala.
A real journey, working in TV and constant exposure to live music made the need for speaker that could make a drum kit appear in my lounge high on my requirement list. The Scala’s do that while fitting in seamlessly with the room both visually and more importantly sonically. I think the large downward and forward firing port for the excellent bass driver has a lot to do with it. Something I discovered with the similar set up on the ProAc D40, which was downward but sideways firing. The beautiful walnut finish of the KEF Ref 203 made decide on the Noyer Fonce finish for the Evo Scala’s

focal-utopia-noyer-wood-finishes.jpg

I have been meaning to join this thread for the longest time...
Starting in the early 70’s with:
Wharfedale E70
Celestion Ditton 25
Rogers LS 5/8
TDL Monitors (4way transmission line)
ProAc Studio Tower
KEF Q7
KEF Reference 203
ProAc D40
Focal Utopia III Scala V1
And End game- Focal Utopia Evo Scala.
A real journey, working in TV and constant exposure to live music made the need for speaker that could make a drum kit appear in my lounge high on my requirement list. The Scala’s do that while fitting in seamlessly with the room both visually and more importantly sonically. I think the large downward and forward firing port for the excellent bass driver has a lot to do with it. Something I discovered with the similar set up on the ProAc D40, which was downward but sideways firing. The beautiful walnut finish of the KEF Ref 203 made decide on the Noyer Fonce finish for the Evo Scala’s

focal-utopia-noyer-wood-finishes.jpg
That is not my lounge...

Tannoy Mercury 5.1 setup
Dynaudio Audience 42
Dynaudio Focus 110
ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature (owned them first in oak and then ebony finish, absolute classic and one of the best small stand mount speakers I’ve heard)
ProAc Response Tritower (failed experiment, not as good as TR8 Sig)
PMC GB1i
PMC Twenty.23
ATC SCM40 (these completely destroyed PMC’s and ever since I’ve been ATC fanboy)
ATC SCM40A
And for little over week I’ve been in final with ATC SCM50ASL ;)

It’s been a ~20 year trip from the first Tannoys to current ATC’s. Small sidestep to Danish speakers but I guess I have a thing for british speakers.

Tannoy Mercury 5.1 setup
Dynaudio Audience 42
Dynaudio Focus 110
ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signature (owned them first in oak and then ebony finish, absolute classic and one of the best small stand mount speakers I’ve heard)
ProAc Response Tritower (failed experiment, not as good as TR8 Sig)
PMC GB1i
PMC Twenty.23
ATC SCM40 (these completely destroyed PMC’s and ever since I’ve been ATC fanboy)
ATC SCM40A
And for little over week I’ve been in final with ATC SCM50ASL ;)

It’s been a ~20 year trip from the first Tannoys to current ATC’s. Small sidestep to Danish speakers but I guess I have a thing for british speakers.
I wish some one had told when I started on the journey, that the sooner you can find your speaker of choice, the easier the whole journey could be...

I wish some one had told when I started on the journey, that the sooner you can find your speaker of choice, the easier the whole journey could be...

Easier journey and some tens of thousands euros/pounds wealthier. Well it’s a journey and learning process almost everyone takes. It’s pretty vital part of the hobby to experiment your way further step by step.

advertisement

Back