advertisement

LP12 Tonearm Alternatives

I used to have an Ittok LVII & that was a nice arm too. I had a Linn Basik plus too & that was pretty awful tbh.

How would you describe the differences between arms? At least in terms of scale of difference. People love to describe carts. Not so much the arms.

Where does used (not current) Ekos stand in the mentioned arms and how does RB 808 compare to RB 1000 (and yes, I know about Paul Messenger's choice).
I would, though, prefer to buy new, so Ekos is not really a top contender. Basically it is between RB 808 and Mørch UP-4. PU7 out of reach ATM.

Anyone ever mounted Nottingham Analogue arm on LP12? Pear Audio Analogue Cornet would also be an option.

On the other hand... for some unsubstantiated reasons I would prefer to move away from unipivots.

So, top contenders are:
Ekos (but that means second hand)
RB 808
Mørch UP-4 (but that's another unipivot)
PU7 (too expensive)
Pear Audio Analogue Cornet (unipivot).

Anyone ever mounted Nottingham Analogue arm on LP12?
On the other hand... for some unsubstantiated reasons I would prefer to move away from unipivots.

Bad move in my opinion - moving from unipivots, as are NA arms.

I have used two NA arms on my Hyperspace - BORING.

How would you describe the differences between arms? At least in terms of scale of difference. People love to describe carts. Not so much the arms.

Where does used (not current) Ekos stand in the mentioned arms and how does RB 808 compare to RB 1000 (and yes, I know about Paul Messenger's choice).
I would, though, prefer to buy new, so Ekos is not really a top contender. Basically it is between RB 808 and Mørch UP-4. PU7 out of reach ATM.

Anyone ever mounted Nottingham Analogue arm on LP12? Pear Audio Analogue Cornet would also be an option.

So, top contenders are:
Ekos (but that means second hand)
RB 808
Mørch UP-4 (but that's another unipivot)
PU7 (too expansive)
Pear Audio Analogue Cornet (unipivot).
Karousel would give a bigger bang for buck.

Really? I don't remember that? I can think of seeing a couple of people with that combo but I don't remember it ever being popular.

While visiting a dealer (well known for his sound advice) a few years back to pick up a pair of Rega speakers I'd won on ebay he asked me the rest of my system and I mentioned my P9 and he pointed me to an open box on the floor. Inside the box was an LP12 sporting an RB1000. In his opinion it was the best arm for the LP12.

Mostly just daydreaming about a new arm for LP12. I'm currently using Roksan Nima. Should I consider SH Ekos? I'm also looking at Rega RB 808, Mørch UP-4.
Audio Origami PU7 is a bit too rich for me at the moment.
Kuzma Stogi S would be an option, but I think that cable is problematic.
Stogi and Stogi Ref are a bit bulky.

So what else are people using, besides Nima, Ittok and Aro? Or what bettered Nima or Ittok on your LP12?

my silver audio origami pu7 will be available in the next few weeks if you are interested.
It’s a rega geometry model with the upgraded heavy stainless collar. Bought from Johnnie

Mostly just daydreaming about a new arm for LP12. I'm currently using Roksan Nima. Should I consider SH Ekos? I'm also looking at Rega RB 808, Mørch UP-4.
Audio Origami PU7 is a bit too rich for me at the moment.
Kuzma Stogi S would be an option, but I think that cable is problematic.
Stogi and Stogi Ref are a bit bulky.

So what else are people using, besides Nima, Ittok and Aro? Or what bettered Nima or Ittok on your LP12?

I have a lovely syrinx PU2 mounted on a Linn board available too. Bought for a project that never happened.

Before the 774, I ran a modified RB250 on my LP12 - was entirely happy with it…but the 774 was better

Before the 774, I ran a modified RB250 on my LP12 - was entirely happy with it…but the 774 was better

Perhaps if I had fluted afro LP12 from the age of yore :) Miss Howdy thinks 774 doesn't match our sattee.

I've had on my LP12 the following:-

Linn LV-V
Linn Basik PLus
Rega RB250
Linn Ittok LVII
Linn Ekos I
Naim ARO
Linn Ittok LVII

By some margin the Ittok is the most enjoyable.

I have no idea why any PFMer omits a location - it does not require an address.................

SO, where the **** is @Howdy?

There are loads of misserable old gits here who'd welcome an afternoon/evening faffing with HiFi to run through ideas about changes (I hesitate to say improvements). Only 100000000 times easier than talking about it, only. Just maybe they may get to hear things apart from opinions?

Going purely on what I've heard/owned, then a Rega anything is the last thing I'd have thought they'd be interested in to someone who enjoys what an LP12 does.

So that's a no then? O

Inside the box was an LP12 sporting an RB1000. In his opinion it was the best arm for the LP12.

I don't think there is such a thing as a best arm. I'd be happy with an Aro, Ittok or a Rega depending on the context. They're all great arms but equally might all be the wrong arms if they don't suit your system or tastes.

Remember Howdy that you can still buy the Roxsan Nima for less than £700. Also, if you can afford the Morch you can afford an RB3000 which is the best arm Rega know how to make. I'd really think about whether or not you want a unipivot and take it from there.

Remember Howdy that you can still buy the Roxsan Nima for less than £700.

I do have Nima now.
I'd like to, maybe, try different arm and hear the difference. Some people change carts more often than pants (and more pricey ones than the tonearms I'm perhaps considering).
I have luckily found my perfect cart and now I'm wondering, what am I missing with Nima.

What cart is it you have now.?

The Roksan Nima is said to be a quite respectable arm already,
and as you also don't like to spend too much on the arm,
it's not a far off thought that you might land on a sideways move. ie different instead of better.

Depending on what the cart is, I'd rather take a look a phono pre's (depending what you already have)
to get more from your cart.

And if you like to experiment with arms, I'd simply pick great classics that you likely won't spend too much on and can easily sell on for the same money again.
774 would be my first pick, then some variety of Rega..pimped 250 or an RB1000 perhaps.
The offer with the PU7 sounds also very tempting to me..very fine arm & nice experiment imo.

I'm trying a Hadcock 228 on mine with a good mc soon...said to be very good and I'm curious to learn what's
behind that..a bit of an uninspired suggestion , given you have a Nima already,
but I wouldn't entirely exclude it.

I do have Nima now.

I've never hear a Nima but I understand that it's not a million miles off an Aro, and Aro is a pretty nice arm. I recon most other arms mentioned will be different rather than massively better and if you like the unipivot sound you may not even like them.

I'm thinking maybe upgrading the deck itself might be better? Bigger upgrade.

advertisement

Back