advertisement

LP12 Tonearm Alternatives

Howdy

pfm Member
Mostly just daydreaming about a new arm for LP12. I'm currently using Roksan Nima. Should I consider SH Ekos? I'm also looking at Rega RB 808, Mørch UP-4.
Audio Origami PU7
is a bit too rich for me at the moment.
Kuzma Stogi S would be an option, but I think that cable is problematic.
Stogi and Stogi Ref are a bit bulky.

So what else are people using, besides Nima, Ittok and Aro? Or what bettered Nima or Ittok on your LP12?

A stripped and rewired RB300 beat my Ittok. An RB2000/RB3000 costs about £1300 and I recon that's pretty good for what you're getting.

Unipivots are a different kind of sound. Great if that's the way you want to go but I don't think you can directly compare them to things like the Ittok, Rega arms etc.

I used a Morch UP4 on my LP12 to great effect - and surprisingly there was little to no loss of bass reproduction, which unipivots are accused of. I had a rewired RB250 fitted prior to that, and the Morch (unsurprisingly) showed it a clean set of heels in all regards. It's a great arm.

I think if I enjoyed the LP12 sound (which I do) then the last thing I'd be looking to put on it would be a Rega arm.

As above, a 774 is a good choice. I haven't heard the other options aside from a nice Ittok. TBH I could have probably lived with the LP12/Ittok I had, it was a nice thing.

Much prefer a Hadcock to an ARO here - be careful what version you are buying, but they sell, in good nick, on the Bay for £250-325, roughly.

I have had a Nima too.

I think if I enjoyed the LP12 sound (which I do) then the last thing I'd be looking to put on it would be a Rega arm.

Have you tried it?

This was certainly a common opinion years ago, that Rega arms did not work on the LP12. It seems to me that the most logical explanation was that Linn really didn't want you to try it as they knew how good Rega arms were. No one other than Linn sheeple had any interest in Linn arms any more and Rega took over. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine replaced a Basik with an RB303 and is delighted with the upgrade, especially since it cost him very little thanks to Linn arms selling for more than they are worth in performance terms.

Even today it's very unusual to see people putting a Rega arm on an LP12 and lots of people assume that such a combination has to be inferior in some way. Doesn't that seem peculiar? You will see all sorts of arms used and recommended for the LP12. Roxsan, Naim, Audio Origami, Mission, you name it. Arms with very different sonic characters but all are considered reasonable choices. But not Rega. Take away the politics between the manufacturers and that makes zero sense.

There is nothing weird about Rega arms, other than the fact they sound damn good for their price. Certainly not the only choice but not one I would rule out without careful consideration.

Last edited:
I've used an RB250 on an LP12 & I wasn't too impressed tbh; I can't imagine another Rega arm being much different. Having said that, I do prefer the later 3 x point fixing arms to the older big pillar models. Currently, I'm using an Audiomods Classic on mine, though that too has the large pillar mounting; not sure about the new ones.

No problem with an RB700 on mine. I have an Aro on it now which is a bit better-probably needs a good setup to get the best from it. I have another LP12 with a Mk1 Akito (serviced by Audioorigami) and there is not a huge amount between all three. if you have to scratch that itch then wait till that investment grade Aro/Ekos comes along, as they invariably do.

BTW, it was Paul Messenger who first used an RB1000 with his Linn, but he also used a a Rega P9 motor on it too.

Last edited:
Have you tried it?

This was certainly a common opinion years ago, that Rega arms did not work on the LP12. It seems to me that the most logical explanation was that Linn really didn't want you to try it as they knew how good Rega arms were. No one other than Linn sheeple had any interest in Linn arm any more and Rega took over. Just a few weeks ago a friend of mine replaced a Basik with an RB303 and is delighted with the upgrade, especially since it cost him very little thanks to Linn arms selling for more than they are worth in performance terms.

Even today it's very unusual to see people putting a Rega arm on an LP12 and lots of people assume that such a combination has to be inferior in some way. Doesn't that seem peculiar? You will see all sorts of arms used and recommended for the LP12. Roxsan, Naim, Audio Origami, Mission, you name it. Arms with very different sonic characters but all are considered reasonable choices. But not Rega. Take away the politics between the manufacturers and that makes zero sense.

There is nothing weird about Rega arms, other than the fact they sound damn good for their price. Certainly not the only choice but not one I would rule out without careful consideration.

I have no interest in hi-fi politics, all that crap happened when I was about 5 years old, it has never had any bearing on my hi-fi preferences.

Going purely on what I've heard/owned, then a Rega anything is the last thing I'd have thought they'd be interested in to someone who enjoys what an LP12 does. It's a solid, cheap arm that does a job I suppose. I've never really been a fan of their stuff thought to be honest.

advertisement

Back